Cottage Crafts & Three Bears Bread

Once upon a time, in a little house in a wood, lived a happy family. There was a Mama Bear. There was a Papa Bear. And there were lots of little Baby Bears that liked to spend their Saturdays doing all sorts of absurd, digital hobbies.
This Saturday would be different, Mama Bear declared. It was going to be a good, old fashioned Saturday. No Computer. No Nintendo. No digital beeping in the background. Just family. Just fun. All day long.
Baby Bear #1 asked Mama Bear to make Oatmeal Bread. It was his favorite thing to eat. It was her favorite way to use up the drum-sized canisters of nearly-outdated oatmeal hiding away in the family cellar. Delicious and practical. Sounded better than a walk in the forest (or a surprise visit from one ungrateful Goldilocks). So, they fired up the oven and got to baking.
***

Big Bowl of Oatmeal Bread
***
A pleasant cross between a yeast bread & quick bread, you’ll want to slather each heavy, moist morsel with butter & honey.
3 c. old-fashioned oatmeal
6 c. water
~Microwave until water disappears, about 7-10 minutes.~
~Let Cool.~
3 T. yeast
1/2 c. very warm water
1/2 c. brown sugar or honey
~Place in a large bowl.~
~When yeast begins to bubble, add:~
1/4 c. sugar or honey
2 t. salt
3 c. flour
~Stir until flour is incorporated. Dough will be sticky.~
~Pour 1 c. olive oil over the dough.~
~Knead until dough becomes bouncy.~
~Add flour by 1/4 cups
up to an additional 1 cup of flour, if needed
to keep the dough from being too terribly sticky.~
~Let rise 45 minutes. Until doubled.~
~Separate into three even amounts
& place in well-greased bread pans~
~Allow to rise another 30-45 minutes~
~Bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes,
until bread is nicely browned~
~Allow to cool. (Bread may appear rather doughy until cooled completely)~
***
Someone’s been eating my oatmeal,
and it’s DELECTABLE!

***

After eating their slabs of warm oatmeal-bread, all four Baby Bears settled into a simple project that was sew easy and sew fun they stuck with the task for hours. When all was said and done, each hopped off to bed with these new, hand-made stuffed toys: a Papa Bear, a Mama Bunny, and a Baby Boo (don’t ask).
And so, the story was {slightly} re-written. But, we happen to think it’s much more enjoyable than the original. So there.

To sew your own easy felt creatures, check out the post below for patterns & directions.

And they all slept quite cozily
until the morn.
The End.

8 Responses to “Cottage Crafts & Three Bears Bread”

Cakes for Family & Friends on October 20, 2008 at 8:15 am Reply

Brooke!
    I love your site!! I am going to make that oatmeal bread!! Yum yum…perpect for a fall day like today!
    I love to see the pics of your kidos! I am still thinking about that question as to if the tooth fairy visits the tummy…hmmm maybe Dr. Lawrence knows..
    Thanks for adding me to your I’d love updates!!!
    Shelley

Cakes for Family & Friends on October 20, 2008 at 8:15 am Reply

Brooke!
    Thanks for adding me to your I’d love updates!!!
    Shelley

Cakes for Family & Friends on October 20, 2008 at 8:15 am Reply

Brooke!
    Thanks for adding me to your I’d love updates!!!
    Shelley

Cakes for Family & Friends on October 20, 2008 at 8:15 am Reply

Brooke!
    Thanks for adding me to your I’d love updates!!!
    Shelley

Becki Madsen on October 20, 2008 at 12:16 pm Reply

You cute and creative mom you! thanks for all of the ideas!

Holly on October 20, 2008 at 1:44 pm Reply

Brooke, I’m so excited! I found you through McFadden’s site and I’m so thrilled! I will love all your inspiration and motivation! You are wonderful and your family is adorable!

Maris on October 21, 2008 at 1:26 pm Reply

Your oatmeal bread sounds fantastic! I bet it would be great with some pumpkin or apple butter and a cup of coffee…

Your blog has such a cute title! Who DOESN’T love cupcakes?

John McLay on October 21, 2008 at 8:58 pm Reply

It was awesome watching the kids get into their crafts. Another great idea!

I feel like the luckiest man in the world to be married to you.