My Little Minions

All trick-or treating. All the time.
Thus began the day better known as Halloween.
At 6:30 a.m.
Is it time to trick-or treat?
At 7:00 a.m.
Is it time to trick-or treat?
At 8:15 a.m.
Is it time to trick-or treat?
At noon and two and four fourteen p.m.
Is it time to trick-or-treat?
And finally.
At five thirty.
It was.
The girls climbed into their long-ago-set-aside-costumes. The boys hurriedly decided what, exactly, they were going to be.
Make-up.
Pillowcases.
Dusk.
And then,
Let the magic begin.
Andrew.
Just a hairs breadth away from being “to old for all this dress-up nonsense” and yet, so painfully unwilling to reliquish the candy blessings, decided this year he would go as, simply, A Cool Kid. {Which became even cooler when he got to troll the neighborhood with a pack of friends and no adults. Very cool, indeed. }
Rebecca.
How do you not love a girl who, of all costume options, decides to dress as you–her mother. Turtleneck. Leather Purse. Baby in Tow. One Hot Mommy.{Eschewing fairies, princesses and other mythical creatures, I was ever-so tickled to see her proudly don my clothing and tote her way around the neighborhood. She’ll be such a lovely mommy herself one day. Such a lovely little girl. }

Alyssa.

Upon learning that I did not have green paint for her face, Lissie opted to become Fancy Witch.{Can I have Fancy Witch puh-lease stop growing up and looking like such a lady? May I also request that she continue to spoon her little body next to mine each night for many years to come?}

Jacob.

If he doesn’t knock you out with his vicious junk punch, then his charming personality and absurdly blue eyes will get you right in the gut. Karate Boy.About half-way through Trick-Or-Treating, the dear boy was done. “I’ll just sit this one out,” he told friend, Jamica. And then he did. He plunked himself on a rock while the other kids continued to fill their bags. Oh, who needs a bag full of candy? If you have a big brother, you’re going to get bamboozled by his candy-swapping deals, anyway.

And one final Halloween Treat…

Old friends, the Smiths, came for a visit.

We hadn’t seen them in years and were so tickled to have them stop by. You may not be able to tell, but they’re family mirrors ours: a 10-year-old, and 8-year old, and 5-year-old boy girl twins. Positively De-FRIGHT-ful how those things work, sometimes! (Thanks for the visit, Kristy!)

***
Stay tuned this week for some friendly

Pumpkin-Banana Pecan Muffins

an INCREDIBLE guest post by

The Courageous Cook

and, our first-ever

knock-your-booties-off giveaway!

8 Responses to “My Little Minions”

John McLay on November 1, 2008 at 11:55 am Reply

Great pictures, sweetheart! Thank you for posting them. We sure have beautiful children [he said with obvious bias].

BTW, where are the pictures of those yummy pumpkin cookies?

Love you!

Noah's Mommy on November 1, 2008 at 1:14 pm Reply

I love the mom costume….that is so funny….so what does a mom say when her persona is halloween-worthy….Thanks???

Angie on November 1, 2008 at 2:27 pm Reply

What great fun! I too like how Becca chose to be you for Halloween. How sweet already looking up to her mother. And a great mother at that!

By the way I have to tell you thanks for spotlighting Sunshine and her wonderful Halloween treats. Cassidy and I had lots of fun making her ghost cookies. I liked that it was easy too!

jksfam on November 1, 2008 at 9:44 pm Reply

It was really fun to see you guys. You’re welcome to come visit us any time, too! Becca’s costume is really great! I have a friend that found your site today and e-mailed me that she did and the my kids were on it. Small world!

Tiffany on November 2, 2008 at 8:37 am Reply

Cute kids! They all had great costumes.

Anonymous on November 3, 2008 at 2:42 pm Reply

Aww, I simply can not believe how big your bebes have gotten! I have pictures of your youngest ones when I was babysitting them and they were in highchairs and have spagetti all over their faces. I somehow always still think of them as that age. Ah, they grow too fast!!

-Jenelle

Happy Harrison on November 3, 2008 at 4:46 pm Reply

I found your blog from the comment you left on CJane. I liked your username, so I thought I’d click. And boy am I glad! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to cook, and from the look of thing you have some amazing recipes that I will definately be trying.
    I also wanted to say that I find it absolutely adorable that Rebecca wanted to be a mom for Halloween. What a compliment to you!

Jenny on November 5, 2008 at 11:03 pm Reply

Your kids look so cute in their costumes. Love the little mother, she’s learning early!

Can’t wait to see Candy as your guest blogger, Love her!

Have a great week!