Ode to the POM

Singing POM Praises

Packed with
Cancer-fighting antioxidants, immune-boosting nutrients,
Vitamins & minerals which benefit body and mind,
the pomegranate is total body goodness
{disguised as sparkling, scarlet wonder fruit.}
Beyond the body, POM is also remarkably versatile in baking.
As I considered the recipes I might create for it’s companionship, I worried the tender fruit might be too fragile to withstand sauteeing. steaming. high-temp sizzling.
And yet, with every recipe, those perky arils held their shape, guarding that glorious burst of juice until it’s full bodied flavor popped in mouth, spilling forth to satisfy and surprise.

CLICK HERE
for last weeks POM celebration,
which includes delectable recipes for a
pomegranate salad, entree, and dessert.
To complete the menu, an aperitif

Pomegranate-Sage Petite Quiche
Simple, yet swanky, you’ll love how easy these little quiche are to prepare. Not to mention the flawless pairing of POM, orange and sage. A quick breakfast. Beautiful on the brunch table. A classy party treat.
8 oz. Cream cheese
2 eggs
¼ c. flour
Zest of one orange
1 T. fresh sage, chopped
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
½ c. POM pomegranate arils
2 9-inch prepared pie crust dough
Cut pie dough into 2-inch circles. Press into small muffin tins. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, eggs, flour, orange zest, sage, salt & sugar until creamy. Spoon into prepared muffin cups, filling each pie crust ¾ full. Top quiche generously with pomegranate arils.
Bake 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until centers of quiche are cooked through and edges of pie crust are lightly browned. Serve warm or cooled.

Each of the POM pics from today’s post features a favorite folk singer.
Can you name them all?
Leave me a comment for a chance to be our next
Conversations With A Cupcake Guest Blogger.

11 Responses to “Ode to the POM”

Lisa on November 29, 2008 at 7:46 am Reply

Brooke,
    You are so creative. I love this post and now I want to go eat a pomogranate.

Noodle on November 29, 2008 at 9:24 am Reply

I never knew pomegranates were so nutritious! Thank you for introducing us!

Amberly on November 29, 2008 at 9:59 am Reply

Hi Brooke, So I made your maple cookies and took them on our little Thanksgiving trip. They were a big hit especially with the kiddos who don’t really dig pie all that much. Now here is the confession: this is first time I’ve ever made a recipe off of a blog. Thanks for inspiring me to try it. This week I plan to make your sparkling pom cake.

ConversationsWithACupcake on November 29, 2008 at 11:55 am Reply

Lisa- Thank you. That is so nice of you. This recipe is so good! I do hope you’ll partake of a POM and have a wonderful, wonderful weekend!

Noodle-They’re amazing, aren’t they? You’re aprons were mailed Wednesday night! You should be getting them soon!

Amberly-I’m tickled you tried my meple cookie recipe! How NICE of you! That POM cake will rock your socks off. Tell me how it goes, will ya?! Happy Holidays!

maybelle's mom on November 29, 2008 at 1:46 pm Reply

Such fun pictures and great entry. As for the songs: Three Dog Night, Peter Paul and Mary, Simon and Garfunkel, Carly Simon–I think.

Heather on November 29, 2008 at 9:01 pm Reply

how delicious! i love the combination of pom and sage! so festive :)

Jenny on November 30, 2008 at 8:43 am Reply

Wow, these little quiche are gorgeous! Me needs to get some pomegranate now! Hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving!

Candy on November 30, 2008 at 8:14 pm Reply

These look wonderful! Thanks for sharing such great recipes.

The Acting Mom on November 30, 2008 at 8:48 pm Reply

Showing some SITS love!

Thanks for the info on pomegranates!

jubilee on December 1, 2008 at 8:39 am Reply

These sound delish! I’ve never looked for poms in our grocery. Now I’ll have to start so I can do this recipe.

Enjoyed your creativity with this post. Mind if I browse awhile?

(You were ahead of me in roll call this morning, so I thought I’d stop by to say “hi.”)

Sophie on December 8, 2008 at 12:35 pm Reply

Your blog is sooo cute! I’m so glad I just discovered it! I love the little faces :D.