Oliver! Stew

Wouldn’t our worries be

nearly nil

if we broke into rhyming song

When’ere we pleased?

The next best thing, of course?

Putting a dinner on the table

that’s been

Inspired by a musical

then watch and slurp.

That’s what we do with
Oliver! Stew
Even your picky veggie eaters will get a kick out of this meal. It’s quick, simple and (very) versatile comfort fare. Extra fun if served out of pie tins with big, wooden spoons while watching scenes from Oliver.

1 c. onion, diced
1/2 c. butter
1/2 head cabbage
2 c. diced potatoes
2 c. ground italian sausage, cooked
OR diced turkey or chicken, cooked
1 c. celery (optional)
2 c. carrots (optional)
2 t. whole peppercorn
Water
Salt

In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until onion softened. Add cabbage and cook just until wilted. Add potatoes, cooked meat, carrots & peppercorns. Fill pot with just enough water to cover the ingredients in the pot. simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes, celery & carrots are softened. Salt broth as preferred. Serve with big, torn pieces of crusty french bread.

Why is it

that all the best

children’s stories begin with

an orphan?

Who’s your favorite literary orphan?

{Mine is Anne of Green Gables.
I’m a hopeless addict.}

8 Responses to “Oliver! Stew”

Anna Macfarlane on December 19, 2008 at 2:09 am Reply

I don’t know HOW you Master Cleanse during Christmas (and while making loads of cookies)!!

I want to MC, but the thought of the smell of lemon, cayenne and maple syrup are difficult to get over. How DO you DO it?

And don’t you love when your word verification seems to go along with your current comment or state of mind? It wants me to type: sucker

HA!

K on December 19, 2008 at 6:29 am Reply

Thanks for the happy thoughts in the morning.

I love Annie – love the red hair, love the cheesey movie.

Oh, and pippy long stockings. I watched that movie hundreds of times growing up.

Charisse on December 19, 2008 at 8:59 am Reply

I gotta say I love Anne of Green Gables. I was always a very avid reader and I read all of the Anne books in about two weeks as a 4th grader. She fascinated me and kept me company when my brother and sister were driving me crazy.

I LOOOOOVE Pippi Longstockings so much that I was Pippi on three separate occasions for Halloween in my younger years. That’s quite a feat for a blond ehar blue eyed child, though, I gotta give props to my lovely mother for making my dreams come true.

I am not in love with the movie Anastasia. My daughter calls it her princess movie and I love it. It is just so sweet.

And, it may not quialify, but I LOVE HEIDI!!!!

B on December 19, 2008 at 9:03 am Reply

Right along with you I am an Anne fan. Till the day I die. Still love her.

moseyalong on December 19, 2008 at 10:38 am Reply

Madeline! Although she’s really not an orphan according to some sources. But rumors persist.

“In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines….”

Love Anne (with an e) too.

Noah's Mommy on December 19, 2008 at 10:39 am Reply

I think I will be singing…Oliver..Oliver…all day…and my fave orphan…Shirley Temple in Curly Top….I love the song…Animal Crackers in my Soup….

Live.Love.Eat on December 19, 2008 at 1:34 pm Reply

Cute!! The stew looks great!

KDLOST on December 19, 2008 at 5:58 pm Reply

DEFINITELY Anne with an ‘e’… I am a huge Green Gables fan! Either her or Samantha Parkington from American Girls. :)

That looks delicious! Cheers!