Maui-Matzo Salmon

Chinese Food, Cheesecake & A Spoonful of Peanut Butter Licked Clean
=
5 pounds gained.
A Life Lesson:
Sticking to New Years resolutions
for a whole year
(let alone a whole month)
stinks bananas.

Maui-Matzo Salmon

with Coconut Sweet Potatoes & Pineapple Salsa
Here’s a healthy recipe to help along that healthy eating. This is a simple, succulent recipe, and my husband–who does not like fruit salsa’s–licked his platter clean, and asked for more. A dish that takes minutes to prepare and minutes to cook? You’ll want to whip up this easy, elegant meal again and again.
1 c. shredded coconut
1 1/2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 c. honey
1 package Matzo ball mix
4 Salmon fillets
1 package of Sweet Potato Pancake mix
1 1/2 c. pineapple
1/2 c. onions
1/4 c. cilantro
salt & pepper to taste
Directions:
Heat oven to BROIL. Begin by toasting coconut under the broiler for 1-2 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
For the Salmon:
In a small bowl, combine honey and soy sauce together until well incorporated. Using a knife, spread 1/8 c. of honey mixture evenly onto the pink sides of each salmon fillet. Dip honeyed side of salmon into Matzo Mix. Place matzo-side up on a sheet of baking foil, atop a broiling pan. Set aside until ready to broil.
For the Coconut Sweet Potatoes:
Combine Sweet Potato Pancake Mix with 2 c. of water (add additional water if a smoother texture is preferred) and 3/4 c. of toasted coconut. Stir until evenly mixed. Divide mixture into four equal parts, and spoon onto a second piece of aluminum foil. Set aside.
For the Pineapple Salsa:
Dice pineapple, onions, and cilantro. Combine. Salt to taste. Set aside.
To Cook:
Place salmon under broiler for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and transfer tin-foil with sweet potatoes on other half of the broiling pan. Return salmon and sweet potatoes to oven and broil an additional 5 minutes, or until salmon is fully cooked, and tips of potatoes are delicately browned.
To Serve:
Place a serving of salmon and sweet potatoes on plates. Sprinkle remaining coconut over potatoes. Spoon salsa over the salmon.
Off to the Gym (again.)

19 Responses to “Maui-Matzo Salmon”

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer on January 28, 2009 at 10:40 am Reply

Now that is one Kick ass combination – I love this!! Thanks for sharing –

PS me too off to the gym :)

Nathan and Bethany on January 28, 2009 at 12:15 pm Reply

Okay, that sounds scrumptious. The only way it could be better is if you served it on that beach where all the sea turtles play with your mom. Hey, that’s an idea!

Live.Love.Eat on January 28, 2009 at 2:38 pm Reply

Hah, that math problem makes me want to fetch a cocktail. Funny. But this dish looks amazing!!!!!

Becki Madsen on January 28, 2009 at 3:45 pm Reply

This dish looks so fantastic Brooke! And no more counting calories, we are in our thirties and food is too good to give up..so BRING IT ON CALORIES!

Tiffany on January 28, 2009 at 6:16 pm Reply

Oh, that sounds good. And maybe coconut will remind me of tropical places, which will warm me up.

Rachel Ann on January 28, 2009 at 8:34 pm Reply

Thank you for stopping by on my SITS day last week…I love all the comments and felt very appreciated. Sorry it has taken me so long to share bloggy love back!

moseyalong on January 28, 2009 at 8:49 pm Reply

Who needs a turtle custard sundae when you have recipes like THIS?

And resolutions are made to be broken. That’s just the way it is. Enjoy every morsel. Okay, in moderation. Sigh….

The Muse on January 29, 2009 at 12:43 am Reply

you need your own tv show! :) :)
    it would be fab!

Mrs. D on January 29, 2009 at 1:44 am Reply

I love how you animate your food! Just stoppin’ by from SITS…love your blog.

The Blonde Duck on January 29, 2009 at 5:27 am Reply

That looks lovely! Thanks for making healthy eating less painful!

San on January 29, 2009 at 6:24 am Reply

Yummy yummy yummy!!!

*Oh… and hiya from SITS ;) Haha!*

SwizzlestickMama on January 29, 2009 at 6:52 am Reply

Um…that sounds awesome! Just found you over at SITS—and no, I don’t think it would be terrible to keep your kiddos home to snuggle. I may find myself guilty of doing the exact same thing. The question is: Will they let you snuggle them??

What a great blog–I love to cook, but am not so creative to actually invent my own recipes! I can’t wait to try your Blushing Raspberry Muffins!

Sophie on January 29, 2009 at 8:16 am Reply

It’s a good thing I don’t ‘do’ math ;). What I do do :P…is enjoy sweet salmon. I’ve found the only way I can eat salmon is when it’s paired with sweet and savory ingredients. Usually I go the maple route, but this sounds original and mouthwatering…gotta hold onto this one!

Nicole on January 29, 2009 at 8:31 am Reply

Food just tastes way too yummy to say no an dlimitations stinks, but it I try.

{leah} on January 29, 2009 at 8:36 am Reply

Peeking in from SITS… and I say snuggle away!!

Maria on January 29, 2009 at 9:17 am Reply

That dish look fantastic!

Michelle on January 29, 2009 at 9:30 am Reply

Oh, I love that … and can so relate to it. I watch the calories burned on my heartrate monitor and yet can’t figure out why the scale does NOT move. Ok, so it goes up and down a half pound but really!

On the other hand, we love salmon here, and that sounds really good! I may have to steal that recipe.

Thanks for stopping by on my SITS day. This has been so much fun, and I hope you come back soon to visit!

Lynette on January 29, 2009 at 10:47 am Reply

Mmmm…looks yummy.

Monica on February 2, 2009 at 8:32 am Reply

That sounds devine! I can’t wait to try these out, especially the sweet potatoes. Yummy!