Physically Fit Parsnip Strips

Have you ever considered
the plethora of words that rhyme
with parsnip?
filmstrip
sideslip
equip
friendship
That is a lovely list.
A lovely, lovely list.
I happen to believe any vegetable which can bring together ‘bullwhip’ and ‘sideslip’ deserves a weekly sighting on the kitchen table. Such a witty veggie. Truly.
For other delightsome rhymes,
do visit my dearest poetic passion:
THE MUSE
then come back here and be inspired by today’s edible muse.
The parsnip.

Physically Fit Parsnip Strips

Got a hankering for french fries, but still sticking with your healthy eating plan? No problem. These parsnip strips give you all the fun of eating finger food with four times the flavor. If you consider parsnips exotic fare, it’s time to check out this high-fiberm, high-flavor, low calorie veggie. Paired with a light honey-mustard sauce, the parsnips in this recipe will remind you of a gentle cross between a carrot and sweet potato. It’s a recipe that is entirely addictive and utterly delicioso.

2-4 parnsips

1 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
Crisco Original No-Stick Spray
Parsnip Honey Mustard Sauce:
2 T. brown mustard
1 T. honey
2 T. mayonnaise
1/2 t. dill
Cute parsnips into slices, remove center pith and discard. In a large ziploc bag, combine sugar, salt and cinnamon. Spray parsnip strips with no-stick cooking spray, then toss into ziploc bag and shake until well coated with sugar mixture. Transfer to a cookie sheet which has been sprayed with no-stick cooking spray. Bake 400 degrees for 14-20 minutes, stirring often. You’ll know they are done when some of the parsnips are deep brown on the edges, but not burned. Remove from oven, allow to cool for a few minutes. Make parsnip sauce, by stirring all ingredients together until well mixed. Serve alongside parsnips.

When I mentioned to my dentist last week that I was a finalist in a cooking contest, I could NOT have imagined the amount of effort some of you dear souls would go to put in a vote for me. If only I could send you all to vote against cavities appearing in my mouth.

11 Responses to “Physically Fit Parsnip Strips”

Noah's Mommy on January 14, 2009 at 7:56 am Reply

I can honestly say I’ve never had a parsnip…but those look good…I think I may have to give it a try….

Stesha on January 14, 2009 at 10:01 am Reply

The parsnips look great. Off to go vote!

Beth on January 14, 2009 at 10:08 am Reply

I’ve never had parsnips. I had to google it to see what they look like. But if I can find some at my grocery store, I want to try this recipe. Sounds yummy.

Becki Madsen on January 14, 2009 at 12:37 pm Reply

I must say Savannah has gotten a kick out of seeing ‘her Brooke’ on the computer, she has watched your video many times and has even voted for you! We love you Brooke and love your recipes, I am looking forward to the day you come out with a cookbook. You rock!

KDLOST on January 14, 2009 at 12:59 pm Reply

YUM! that’s a fun recipe. great use of words, too. :)

i tried to vote and for some reason my computer was like : NO! i will try again.

The Muse on January 14, 2009 at 1:35 pm Reply

This is just one of the nicest things that anyone has done :) Thank you seems rather inadequate…but i hope you do accept a heart felt THANK YOU!

Weight Loss on January 14, 2009 at 1:46 pm Reply

Hi I found this cool recipe for Artichoke-scrambled Eggs Benedict. Has anyone ever tried it? Sounds good and I hope it is. Here is the link with the recipe and article. nice site to whoever created it.

hellosweetworld on January 14, 2009 at 2:39 pm Reply

This looks yummy, and the mustard i’m definately going to have to try! I’m a mustard girl!

Lisa on January 14, 2009 at 10:07 pm Reply

Great way to make parsnips.

moseyalong on January 14, 2009 at 10:42 pm Reply

harelip?

Thanks for the lovely LOVELY comment on my last post- your use of the word flusteration was inspiring, as are you!

Renée aka Mekhismom on January 19, 2009 at 9:56 am Reply

This looks like a wonderful alternative to french fries!