Bittersweet Peppered Ginger Potstickers
For the Potstickers:
1-3 oz. bar bittersweet dark chocolate, cut into 8 triangles
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, grated
2 teaspoons dried, crushed red peppers
8 ready-made wonton/gyoza wrappers
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
For the Sesame-Lime Dipping Sauce:
2 Tablespoons fresh-squeezed lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1. Prepare potstickers for frying and steaming by lightly moistening wonton wrappers.
2. Place a triangle of chocolate on top of the wonton wrapper. Spoon 1/4 teaspoon of fresh grated ginger, and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of crushed red pepper atop chocolate.
3. Fold wonton wrapper over chocolate, then seal edges by pressing together firmly with a fork.
4. Follow steps 1-3 until all 8 potstickers are prepared.
5. Heat 1 Tablespoon of Olive Oil, in a deep skillet. Stove should be turned to MEDIUM heat.
6. Once oil is heated, place prepared potstickers inside the skillet. Fry bottoms in oil until medium-brown, approximately 1 minute.
7. Pour 1/4 c. of water into the skillet, then cover with a lid immediately. Allow potsticker to steam in covered skillet an additional 2-3 minutes, or until most of water had boiled out.
8. Remove lid, and allow any remaining water to boil out.
9. Gently remove potstickers from pan with spatula. Allow to cool on plate or cooling rack 1-2 minutes.
10. Whisk together all ingredients for SESAME-LIME DIPPING SAUCE.
11. Prepare to be pleased.
12. Serve potstickers with dipping sauce.
SERVINGS: One serving equals two potstickers. Serves four.
Inspired by a favorite asian dish, this recipe lends itself to all sorts of exotic presentation ideas.
For more formal dessert affairs, drizzle potstickers with Sesame-Lime dipping sauce before serving, and dot plate with pieces of crystallized ginger.