Darling Daybreak Biscuits

Winter-Time
Late lies the wintry sun a-bed,
A frosty, fiery sleepy-head;
Blinks but an hour or two; and then,
A blood-red orange, sets again.
Before the stars have left the skies,
At morning in the dark I rise;
And shivering in my nakedness,
By the cold candle, bathe and dress.
Black are my steps on silver sod;
Thick blows my frosty breath abroad;
And tree and house, and hill and lake,
Are frosted like a wedding cake.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Darling Daybreak Biscuits
with Golden Apricot-Cherry Gravy
Imagine it. When offered regular, ol’ pancakes, or this sparkling breakfast offering, my children opted for the biscuits! Wasn’t I tinkled punch? Indeed. They don’t typically like raisins or cherries but satisfactorily gobbled them right quick. Taste aside, the greatest delight for me is that both biscuits and gravy are vegan and very low in sugar. Therefore, while children devour, mother can be quite content her family is being well fed.
For the Biscuits:
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 c. apple sauce
1 T. organic sugar
1/2 c. soymilk
2 T. olive oil
In a largw bowl, combine dry ingredients. Create a well in the center of the mixture. In a medium bowl, whisk together when ingredients. Pour into the center of the dry ingredients. Using a fork, stir clockwise just until incorporated. Turn out onto a lightly olive-oiled surface and knead several times. Roll dough to 1 inch thick, then slice into squares using a pizza cutter or sharp knife. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or just until the edges are beginning to brown. Remove, serve immediately.
For the Golden Apricot-Cherry Gravy
1/2 c. apple juice
1/4 c. apricot preserves
1 1/2 t. cornstarch
1 t. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 c. dried cherries
1/4 c. dried golden raisins
In a medium saucepan, combine all ingredients.
Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to boil. Serve over biscuits.
Creamy Honey Butter Spread
1/4 c. whipping cream
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. honey
Combine all in a medium bowl. Whip with an electric mixer until
Early morning in our bed.
Makes a girl wanna
cuddle close and sleep in
with two such dapper gents.
(Pssst…I did!)

22 Responses to “Darling Daybreak Biscuits”

Debbie Y. on February 1, 2009 at 2:14 pm Reply

The food and the “gents” (if you don’t mind me saying so), look quite yummy. LOL

I am always trying to find low fat, no sugar recipes.

Thanks for sharing.

Noodle on February 1, 2009 at 3:41 pm Reply

These sound so yummy! And aren’t kids sweet in their slumbers?
    I appreciated the poem, too. At first I thought, “Wow, she writes like Robert Frost!” Then I realized it was RLS’s work. Thanks for including it. It added such a nice touch to your whole post!

Sophie on February 1, 2009 at 4:23 pm Reply

Low in sugar? Wow–impressive. The ‘gravy’ sounds yummy and rich, especially on top of the biscuits.

I love that poem, by the way, thanks for sharing :).

KDLOST on February 1, 2009 at 7:34 pm Reply

that looks so unique and good! :)

San on February 2, 2009 at 12:32 am Reply

Hello! ;)

Your pictures are really really good! Looks so yummy!

Mrs. D on February 2, 2009 at 1:39 am Reply

Yes, if I woke up to that, I WOULD be a morning person! That looks to die for. It looks too pretty to eat!

Sig on February 2, 2009 at 1:58 am Reply

I love me some sleeping kids (and hubby).
    Here from SITS :)

Tranquility on February 2, 2009 at 5:15 am Reply

I love the little talking foods – so CUTE!
    This recipe sounds delicious!

The Blonde Duck on February 2, 2009 at 5:23 am Reply

Gorgeous and delicious! Love the poem!

Cindy on February 2, 2009 at 6:06 am Reply

MMMMmmmmmm!
    visiting from SITS!

SwizzlestickMama on February 2, 2009 at 8:11 am Reply

That sounds delish! I love cooking a great breakfast in the morning–by far, my favorite meal to eat.

WishTrish on February 2, 2009 at 8:40 am Reply

Oh, now I want to go pull out a poetry book. Beautiful!

And I want to try your yummy biscuits and “gravy”!

TL on February 2, 2009 at 11:31 am Reply

First off, I totally had phantom tooth pain from that delish looking breakfast! WOW! I am drooling at my computer…

Second, Love LOve LOVE the photo of your two snuggle bunnies. Isn’t that just the best place in the whole entire world?

Willo on February 2, 2009 at 5:13 pm Reply

That looks dreamy. Leaving some SITS love and wondering…who did your design? I love it!

Stesha on February 3, 2009 at 12:07 am Reply

Yummy!

Hugs and Mocha,
    Stesha

theballardgirlsandboy on February 3, 2009 at 12:07 am Reply

Brooke! It’s so fun reading your posts all the time. And your recipes, I continue to be amazed by you! Thanks for sharing your talents. I love it! I can’t wait to make your white chocolate raspberry muffins.

Jennifer on February 3, 2009 at 7:55 am Reply

Just wanted to say hello and tell you how your blog always makes me smile. I love your poetic writing, the marvelous pics and the yummy recipes.
    Bless you, today. Have a truly enchanting day!
    Jennifer

Becki Madsen on February 3, 2009 at 6:12 pm Reply

What an adorable picture of your boys! And the food-YUMMY!

Jamica on February 3, 2009 at 11:15 pm Reply

Brooke, when I die I want to come back as one of your spoons! It’s 10:14 pm right now and I’m sure I’ll be able to sleep until I try some of that “gravy”! I could convert to a morning person OR I could just stay up WAY too late and crave breakfast foods!

Pink Ink on February 4, 2009 at 8:58 am Reply

Your photos are so cute, and made me smile. I love that poem.

Breakfasts are big in my house and I’d like to try those recipes.

Emily on February 4, 2009 at 9:22 am Reply

Great foodie blog!

We’d love for you to join our recipe card swap!

Share your favorite recipes and get some new ones to try! Check it out! Tell your friends!

Nancy on February 5, 2009 at 8:31 pm Reply

oooh that looks good! I want to thank you for stopping by during my SITS spotlight. Please come back anytime. Blessings, Nancy