Bow in the Clouds Six Stack Cake

I arrived at a store today to make a return. A lamp bought for our front room was far-too-short for it’s projected location, so I returned to the place of purchase toting the awkward object and a pocketful of resentment. I detest returns.
But, I digress.
Before I’d so much as stepped foot inside the store, a wild flash of black tulle and hot pink beads flew past me. I was shocked. It had been a long time since I’d seen such 80′s retro style worn with such determined…style. Stopping to stare out the corner of my eye, I took in the flash.

Neon pink Lace shirt layered beneath a pink concert tee.
Black tulle tutu.
Leggings.
Jelly bracelets from wrist to mid-ulna.
Crimped hair.
Pink tennis shoes with giant lace bows.

Marvelous.

As I was not-staring, 80′s Girl turned toward me. Her hair gave way to her profile. Then her face. I was shocked! 80′s Girl wasn’t a girl at all. She was an “80′s WOman!” The gal toting said Cyndi Lauper gear was no high school, teeny-bopper wannabe. Nosirree. Before me stood a round, freckle faced fourty-something and instantly, I loved her.

All that color.
All that style.
All that life experience.
All that tulle.

It made me think. Growing older doesn’t have to mean growing gray. Everyday can be prismatic hues of light and loveliness. I just have to remember to put them on in the morning.

Bow in the Clouds Six Stack Cake
Coming out of the oven, the combined smell of each layers fruity flavors from will make you wonder if you’ve just created a dessert version of Fruit Loops. Fear not. Though the wild colors will appeal to even the tinsiest tasters, adults will adore the subtle fresh flavors of orange zest, lemon, lime and picked berries. As the host, you’ll get far.too.many kicks from arriving at the table with a crisp, white-frosted cake then cutting into it to reveal a full spectrum of surprise!
2 boxes white cake mix
6 eggs
1 c. water
2/3 c. oil
1/2 c. raspberries
Zest of 1 orange + 2 T. juice
Zest of 1 lemon + 2 T. juice
Zest of 1 lime + 2 T. juice
1/2 c. blueberries
1/2 c. blackberries
Wilton Icing colors in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, and oil together. Scoop 1 cup of batter into six small bowls. In the first bowl, mix raspberries and 1/4 tsp. red coloring. In the second bowl, mix orange zest and juice, and 1/2 tsp. orange coloring. In the third bowl, mix lemon zest and juice and 1/4 tsp. yellow coloring. In the fourth bowl, mix lime zest and juice and 1/4 tsp. green coloring. In the fifth bowl, mix blueberries and 1/4 tsp. blue coloring. In the sixth bowl, mix blackberries and 1/4 tsp. purple coloring.
Prepare six 8 inch cake pans by greasing and flouring each generously. Using a spatula, spoon and spread each color of batter into its own cake pan. Bake in an oven, preheated to 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes, or until tops spring back when touched lightly. Allow to cool completely. Frost with White Chocolate Frosting.
Billowed White Chocolate Frosting
Lots of readers have contacted me with questions about this frosting. I adore this frosting, and think it adds a subtle flavor punch to the cake. It’s really worth the making. To
1 c. butter, softened
1 bag white chocolate chips
3 lbs. powdered sugar
1/4 to 1 full cup milk
In a large bowl, microwave white chips JUST until melted. They SHOULDN’T be hot. To accomplish this, microwave for twenty seconds, then stir. Microwave for 20 seconds, then stir again. Repeat just until all chips are smooth and melted. Immediately beat in butter until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. BE SURE TO ADD YOUR MILK in bit by bit, beginning with 1/4 cup at first, then slowly adding by the tablespoon until desired consistency is reached. Cover and refrigerate for about 5 minutes to firm up just slightly. Makes enough frosting to ice between each layer of cake, and around the outside of the cake.
TO FROST: It’s always a good idea to start with slightly refrigerated layers. This will help your cake be more firm and less floppy. Be patient! It takes time, but you’re final product will pay off, I promise! Gently smooth the frosting between the layers, then frost and decorate the exterior of the cake.
TO STORE: The final cake is HUGE. If you plan to refrigerate it overnight, you’ll want a hefty space available for storage. I’m big on overnight cake storage. I typically find it’s a good idea to let frosting and cake flavors meld together a bit. If you want to serve it right away, you most certainly can, but we left our cake out overnight and it was DIVINE in the morning. It can also be refrigerated until serving, though I would suggest you remove it from the fridge 15-30 minutes before serving to allow the frosting and cake to soften slightly. Good lick!
Fuzzy Koala Cake Company created her own version of this cake. It’s gorgeous! to see it, CLICK HERE

131 Responses to “Bow in the Clouds Six Stack Cake”

Heather on April 13, 2009 at 3:51 pm Reply

Oh my God! I am so making this cake! It’s is so totally awesome (that was an 80′s phrase, right?!)!

Aubrey on April 13, 2009 at 5:23 pm Reply

Very CUTE but too much work for this non-cooking mama!

Hope you had a wonderful SITS FB day!!
    Your posts were a lot of fun!

Mandy on April 13, 2009 at 5:51 pm Reply

HOLY COW!! Your blog is so cool. :)

Amanda on April 13, 2009 at 5:52 pm Reply

I saw this rainbow cake on omnicom awhile back and loved it. It is adorable!

Leslie on April 13, 2009 at 6:22 pm Reply

I love it too! I graduated in ’89 and we’re putting together an ’80s fashion show for the event. I can’t wait!

AP on April 13, 2009 at 8:03 pm Reply

that is one awesome cake

Tara on April 13, 2009 at 8:12 pm Reply

Cute story! 80′s ROCK! ♥

and that cake looks amazing…

Michelle on April 13, 2009 at 8:15 pm Reply

Oh that is a way cool cake. I’m totally stuck on the fact that you have (at least)six cake pans of the same size. I’ve got at most three. Probably two, as the third is kinda forcing a fit. Great idea for a cake!

angie on April 13, 2009 at 8:50 pm Reply

Pretty! Bookmarking this especially for the frosting, sounds delish!

Anonymous on April 13, 2009 at 8:57 pm Reply

That cake is kind of of the best thing ever! So is the story!

Hope you are having a good SITS day.

Carey-Life in the Carpool Lane on April 13, 2009 at 9:34 pm Reply

Wow! I want that cake…I need that cake! No matter what kind of down in the dumps day you are having that cake is guaranteed to cheer you up! And I love the ’80′s woman story too…so well told!

Controlling My Chaos on April 13, 2009 at 11:51 pm Reply

What a nifty cake.

StacieinAtlanta on April 13, 2009 at 11:51 pm Reply

I loooooooove your blog!

I am totally an 80′s woman but unfortunately only on the inside. I so admire people who wear what they feel.

Stacie

blunt delivery on April 13, 2009 at 11:59 pm Reply

this is too cute! sigh. do i ever love the 80s

jubilee on April 14, 2009 at 6:44 am Reply

I loved Jelly bracelets!

Cindy on April 15, 2009 at 4:13 am Reply

Wow! I wish you had a picture…I would have loved to see it! Happy SITS day! (a few days late, but better late than never!)

Shannon on April 21, 2009 at 12:02 pm Reply

This story brings back memories… I went to a small, private, parochial school… we didn’t have uniforms, but we did have a strict dress code. So on the weekends, my friends and I would go wild… leggins, jelly shoes, lace! It was great!

I’m very late… but I’m here from SITS. Hope you enjoyed being the FB!

cookingmom on May 6, 2009 at 7:16 pm Reply

OK, I tried to make this, and it was a DISASTER. Everything was fine until I started layering and frosting it, then the whole cake kept sliding to one side. No matter what I did, I couldn’t get that cake to stay upright. The icing was also extremely thin, and that didn’t help with the sliding, I tried inserting straws for support, and that didn’t work. How did you get your cake so perfect? I made it exactly as it was typed.

Disneypal on August 3, 2009 at 7:27 pm Reply

Ohhhhh – pretty !

Dorothy on August 8, 2009 at 12:19 pm Reply

I just made this, and it's wonderful! Sure to bring a smile to anyone's face, it's also quite tasty, to boot! Thank you for the idea :)http://fuzzykoalacakecompany.blogspot.com/2009/08/toto-ive-feeling-were-not-in-kansas-any.html

Mrsblocko on August 24, 2009 at 4:47 pm Reply

I finally got around to making this cake for my daughter's 4th birthday. I had similar problems that cookingmom stated in the comment section. The cake was delicious even if it looked like it got clobbered by the ugly stick!

If you want to read more about what happened:

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" on August 29, 2009 at 11:39 pm Reply

I made this for my 6 yr old this month! What a great cake!! I LOVED the fruity layers!

disa on December 5, 2009 at 9:16 am Reply

Marti on January 2, 2010 at 4:26 pm Reply

I remember seeing this cake on gawker or spotter when your post went up.

I thought "Oh, look! A gay pride cake!"

Now I know.

Send flowers to Korea on July 14, 2010 at 2:04 am Reply

Nice effort, very informative, this will help me to complete my task.

Anonymous on July 22, 2010 at 4:41 pm Reply

Hi! I really like this cake, but somebody else did also: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourneverland/4817943641/

She also stole another cake picture from a deviantART user a few days ago.

mariahsmile on August 2, 2010 at 7:02 pm Reply

Found your blog through Kitchen Koala and fell in love with this cake! I knew I had to make it! So this past week I did and it was amazing… Just not as pretty as yours and Dorothy's! Thanks for the idea and recipe! You can visit my blog to see mine :-)

Missy on September 7, 2010 at 7:25 am Reply

I was wondering if you could also do this recipe as cupcakes instead? Is there anything you'ed need to change? I am not great at cooking/baking so any help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanx.

Taube on October 2, 2010 at 5:22 pm Reply

I don't bake much, but when I saw your happy cake, I had to make it. It was the perfect 30th birthday party cake for my wonderful friend. I couldn't help but giggle and smile while making it and eating it. Thank you!!!

30. Pingback: How to make a rainbow cake! « My First Bub!

Jessie on April 24, 2011 at 3:25 am Reply

I just made this cake for my son’s 1st birthday! It was a huge hit, thank you!

xx