Bow in the Clouds Six Stack Cake

I arrived at a store today to make a return. A lamp bought for our front room was far-too-short for it’s projected location, so I returned to the place of purchase toting the awkward object and a pocketful of resentment. I detest returns.
But, I digress.
Before I’d so much as stepped foot inside the store, a wild flash of black tulle and hot pink beads flew past me. I was shocked. It had been a long time since I’d seen such 80′s retro style worn with such determined…style. Stopping to stare out the corner of my eye, I took in the flash.

Neon pink Lace shirt layered beneath a pink concert tee.
Black tulle tutu.
Leggings.
Jelly bracelets from wrist to mid-ulna.
Crimped hair.
Pink tennis shoes with giant lace bows.

Marvelous.

As I was not-staring, 80′s Girl turned toward me. Her hair gave way to her profile. Then her face. I was shocked! 80′s Girl wasn’t a girl at all. She was an “80′s WOman!” The gal toting said Cyndi Lauper gear was no high school, teeny-bopper wannabe. Nosirree. Before me stood a round, freckle faced fourty-something and instantly, I loved her.

All that color.
All that style.
All that life experience.
All that tulle.

It made me think. Growing older doesn’t have to mean growing gray. Everyday can be prismatic hues of light and loveliness. I just have to remember to put them on in the morning.

Bow in the Clouds Six Stack Cake
Coming out of the oven, the combined smell of each layers fruity flavors from will make you wonder if you’ve just created a dessert version of Fruit Loops. Fear not. Though the wild colors will appeal to even the tinsiest tasters, adults will adore the subtle fresh flavors of orange zest, lemon, lime and picked berries. As the host, you’ll get far.too.many kicks from arriving at the table with a crisp, white-frosted cake then cutting into it to reveal a full spectrum of surprise!
2 boxes white cake mix
6 eggs
1 c. water
2/3 c. oil
1/2 c. raspberries
Zest of 1 orange + 2 T. juice
Zest of 1 lemon + 2 T. juice
Zest of 1 lime + 2 T. juice
1/2 c. blueberries
1/2 c. blackberries
Wilton Icing colors in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, water, and oil together. Scoop 1 cup of batter into six small bowls. In the first bowl, mix raspberries and 1/4 tsp. red coloring. In the second bowl, mix orange zest and juice, and 1/2 tsp. orange coloring. In the third bowl, mix lemon zest and juice and 1/4 tsp. yellow coloring. In the fourth bowl, mix lime zest and juice and 1/4 tsp. green coloring. In the fifth bowl, mix blueberries and 1/4 tsp. blue coloring. In the sixth bowl, mix blackberries and 1/4 tsp. purple coloring.
Prepare six 8 inch cake pans by greasing and flouring each generously. Using a spatula, spoon and spread each color of batter into its own cake pan. Bake in an oven, preheated to 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes, or until tops spring back when touched lightly. Allow to cool completely. Frost with White Chocolate Frosting.
Billowed White Chocolate Frosting
Lots of readers have contacted me with questions about this frosting. I adore this frosting, and think it adds a subtle flavor punch to the cake. It’s really worth the making. To
1 c. butter, softened
1 bag white chocolate chips
3 lbs. powdered sugar
1/4 to 1 full cup milk
In a large bowl, microwave white chips JUST until melted. They SHOULDN’T be hot. To accomplish this, microwave for twenty seconds, then stir. Microwave for 20 seconds, then stir again. Repeat just until all chips are smooth and melted. Immediately beat in butter until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. BE SURE TO ADD YOUR MILK in bit by bit, beginning with 1/4 cup at first, then slowly adding by the tablespoon until desired consistency is reached. Cover and refrigerate for about 5 minutes to firm up just slightly. Makes enough frosting to ice between each layer of cake, and around the outside of the cake.
TO FROST: It’s always a good idea to start with slightly refrigerated layers. This will help your cake be more firm and less floppy. Be patient! It takes time, but you’re final product will pay off, I promise! Gently smooth the frosting between the layers, then frost and decorate the exterior of the cake.
TO STORE: The final cake is HUGE. If you plan to refrigerate it overnight, you’ll want a hefty space available for storage. I’m big on overnight cake storage. I typically find it’s a good idea to let frosting and cake flavors meld together a bit. If you want to serve it right away, you most certainly can, but we left our cake out overnight and it was DIVINE in the morning. It can also be refrigerated until serving, though I would suggest you remove it from the fridge 15-30 minutes before serving to allow the frosting and cake to soften slightly. Good lick!
Fuzzy Koala Cake Company created her own version of this cake. It’s gorgeous! to see it, CLICK HERE

131 Responses to “Bow in the Clouds Six Stack Cake”

Cristine on March 19, 2009 at 11:06 pm Reply

Great story! :) And your cake is BEAUTIFUL!

Megan on March 20, 2009 at 6:47 am Reply

Love everything about this post – and am determined to make that cake this weekend!

KDLOST on March 20, 2009 at 6:55 am Reply

Rock on with 80′s gear! :)

I am in LOVE with that cake. I am seriously going to attempt it… but I don’t know if mine will be quite so beautiful as yours!!!! AWESOME!

It's All Good on March 20, 2009 at 8:31 am Reply

that cake… I must have it!

and hell yeah to wearing colors, it’s all you need man

Noodle on March 20, 2009 at 12:22 pm Reply

I have a hidden wild-style side in me, and I express it mostly through crazy socks underneath my jeans. It’s my fun little secret fling.
    And sometimes I buy a crazy-colored bag or hat. (Does that mean I’m a bag lady? Cause I’ve got cats. Uh oh…)
    Anyway, your cake is beautiful!

Daisigirl on March 20, 2009 at 12:23 pm Reply

Great post! I do I ever need a piece of THAT CAKE! It looks so fun and delicious! ;0) The 80′s rock!

Ginny on March 20, 2009 at 4:10 pm Reply

That looks like the perfect birthday cake for a little one – how fun!

Mrs. Mordecai on March 20, 2009 at 4:44 pm Reply

Now I’m just dying for a potluck to take this thing to.

Not Another Omnivore on March 20, 2009 at 6:54 pm Reply

Saw that cake on Taste Spotting and it is absolutely amazing!

NAOmni

Sara on March 20, 2009 at 7:27 pm Reply

This is just so pretty. I love it.

Sandy at God Speaks Today on March 20, 2009 at 8:22 pm Reply

I love the 80′s and sqealed with delight when I saw the trends coming back in style…just in time for my 10 year old daughter to partake. Joy!!!!!!!!!! (sung in opera voice)

My only prayer is that it isn’t followed by a resurrection of the 90′s…which I think had something to do with goth. That would make her a teen during that era.

Oh dear.

And your cake is lovely. I love color.

Blessings,
    Sandy

THE ORDINARY HOUSEWIFE on March 20, 2009 at 9:07 pm Reply

Shut the hell up with this!!! I love it! I’ve done the “tie dye” type cakes, but I love your’s better :)

Hayley on March 20, 2009 at 10:20 pm Reply

This cake is insane! I love it! Thanks for sharing!

Paula on March 20, 2009 at 11:00 pm Reply

This sounds soooo yummy!!! Great Story, Brooke.
    Love all the fun colors and the icing sounds so yummy too!

Mrsblocko on March 21, 2009 at 9:29 am Reply

I saw this on tastespottting as well. I squeeled with delight at the photo and my 3.5 yr old came running. She looked at the monitor and stopped dead in her tracks, jaw on the floor. Heh…I know what I’m making for her birthday this year! thanks for the recipe!!!!!!

Jennifer on March 21, 2009 at 10:42 am Reply

This cake is fabulous! How happy-looking!

I wanted to tell you that I made the Sparkling Apple Chicken for dinner last week….holy smokes, was it good! Except it was pouring rain, so no grill. I cooked it on the stove. But it was still amazingly yummy. In fact, we’re having it again tonight. Thanks for the recipe! YUMMMM!!

Blessings,
    Jennifer

lyndsay on March 21, 2009 at 12:20 pm Reply

someday you’ll find it… the rainbow connection… the lovers, the dreamers and mmmmmmeeeee! as soon as i saw this post i thought of kermit! awesome!

playing4-keeps on March 21, 2009 at 6:56 pm Reply

This cake looked absolutely fantastic and I have already decided I am making it for my friends 21st! I will have to give it a trial run of course and I can’t wait! That cake is what could save the world!

The Cake Lady on March 21, 2009 at 8:12 pm Reply

Brooke, What can I say but, THANK YOU! You gave me a “sweet” feeling as I read your story. When i finished your story and enjoyed the beauty of that cake, I looked down at my black pants…. bummer!!

Pixeltrash on March 21, 2009 at 8:24 pm Reply

You crack me up. I was 80′s girl in the 80′s but I can’t imagine being that now. My teen nieces are into florescent colors right now which totally takes me back, but I wouldn’t be caught dead in it now!

Love the cake, but it looks kinda like a pain to make. I’m sure it is worth the work though!

apparentlyjessy on March 21, 2009 at 8:46 pm Reply

Loved this story, I found your blog through another cupcake blog, and was inspired by this post!
    I also love how you put little faces on all the food, pretty cute! Will look forward to following you! :)

FoolProofFoodie on March 22, 2009 at 6:18 am Reply

WoW WoW WoW WoW…I’m in love with this cake, i want to make it right away! I have a friends bday comming up and shall make it for. Fanatastic story and site aswell Bookmarked :)

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" on March 22, 2009 at 12:42 pm Reply

What a great, fun cake!! Beautiful!

umami girl on March 22, 2009 at 2:28 pm Reply

I’m thinking this has tremendous 5th Birthday Cake potential. Fabulous story, fabulous cake!

Sophie on March 25, 2009 at 1:50 pm Reply

How did I miss this?! It’s like springtime in a cake :). I really like the new layout :). Hope you’re well!

barbie2be on March 26, 2009 at 3:05 pm Reply

it’s like a gay pride cake! i love it!

Anonymous on March 26, 2009 at 11:42 pm Reply

A friend of mine once made a similar cake but not in stripes, the colors were all over the place in blobs bumping in to each other on all sides – any idea on how to make this variation? (Not that it matters – what you have here looks fantastic and I can’t wait to bake it!)

Valerie on March 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm Reply

This cake is so cheerful looking! It makes me happy just to look at it!

@Anonymous – I think you can make the blob version of the cake by following the recipe up to the point of coloring the portions of batter. Then you just carefully put each color on top of each other into one cake pan.

DrGaellon on March 28, 2009 at 4:03 am Reply

I think I’m going to have to make this cake for Gay Pride in June…

slicey on March 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm Reply

I found this from an Amazon link and I LOVE the cake!!! I will absolutely be making this for the next gay event I attend. :)

Beaux on March 29, 2009 at 11:19 am Reply

ok, YOU make me the cake – I send YOU the $$$$ (I can’t make anything). Please make me that cake… pretty please?

Lisa Loo on March 29, 2009 at 7:16 pm Reply

Just found you–love this all!! Will be back!

Jackie on March 29, 2009 at 11:23 pm Reply

Amazing cake!!! :-)

CINDERELLA on April 13, 2009 at 12:12 am Reply

growing old doesn’t mean going grey

but some of us younger people still have to find our color first

intersting post :-) i love it.

-cinderella

Vickie on April 13, 2009 at 12:15 am Reply

Good post and the cake looks delicious!

I miss wearing some of my 80s gear.

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" on April 13, 2009 at 12:31 am Reply

Look! I’m back to wish you well on YOUR SITS Day! :)

Xazmin on April 13, 2009 at 12:43 am Reply

I don’t know if I’m patient enough to make that cake…but I sure would love to eat it! It’s beautiful!

Thanks for sharing…i love your blog. I’m definitely following!

C.G. the Foodie on April 13, 2009 at 12:55 am Reply

How absolutely fun!!!!

Happy SITS day!

MARGARITA BLOOM on April 13, 2009 at 1:01 am Reply

Holy cow!! is that a rainbow cake? Soooo cooool! you’re a genius! I love that!!

Anne on April 13, 2009 at 1:23 am Reply

That cake looks great!

Mrs. Jelly Belly on April 13, 2009 at 1:48 am Reply

Awesome! It’s beautiful – AND it looks delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Michele Davidson on April 13, 2009 at 1:52 am Reply

You have made my Monday!! So, glad you are the featured blog!

Becky on April 13, 2009 at 4:31 am Reply

What an awesome looking cake!! I love it :) Happy SITS day

Astrid on April 13, 2009 at 5:25 am Reply

I’m sooooo in love with that cake! It’s perfect! I adore rainbow anything. I can’t say that I’ve ever had rainbow cake before!

Too funny about the 80s Woman- I have blocked that particular style era in my mind. I love how some people just aren’t afraid…I wish I were more like that.

Happy SITS day!

Housewife Savant on April 13, 2009 at 5:45 am Reply

What a treat for us SITSters. You have a delightful blog.
    This post rocks. All I need is a fork and a glass of milk…
    Enjoy your FB day!

Tiffany on April 13, 2009 at 6:02 am Reply

That is gorgeous!

carma on April 13, 2009 at 6:07 am Reply

that cake looks awesome!!

carma :-)

Kati on April 13, 2009 at 6:09 am Reply

That looks awesome! I am not sure if I am brave enouhgh to try it out or not.. I am NOT a very good cook!

Robin Lynne on April 13, 2009 at 6:14 am Reply

This is the most beautiful cake I’ve ever seen! *Hi from SITS and congrat’s on your day!*

Kari on April 13, 2009 at 6:19 am Reply

Saying hello from SITS!

What a cool cake. I am an 80′s girl!

1 2 3