Lady X Cakes

Over the phone, last week
I admitted to my little sister
my secret desires
to run into
a handful of ex-beau’s
(and by handful,I might mean three)
with my ferociously
I may {still} be one.
Thus making my
Ex-boyfriend-run-in-scenario
slightly
EX-citing.
Lady X Cakes
You know how Hollywood is always looking for the “X” factor? That indescribable something that makes a person stand-out, amaze, ‘pop’? Well, if these cupcakes threw on some sunglasses and worked Rodeo Drive, you’d stop and stare. Rather, you’d stop and lick. No, no. You couldn’t possibly stop at a lick. You’d jump on them like papparazzi on a starlet and eat.them.right.up.
There’s something about banana and pineapple and caramel frosting.
Something indescribeably….wow.
1 white cake mix
2 eggs
2 banana’s
8 oz. crushed pineapple, undrained
2 T. olive oil
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/3 c. crushed macadamia nuts (optional)
Seeds from 1/2 vanilla bean
With an electric mixer, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Batter will be thick. Spoon into mini-muffin pan, lined with small cupcake papers. Bake 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until cupcakes spring back when touched lightly. Remove and cool.
Two Spoon Caramel Fondant
One spoon to stir, and one to lick.
20 caramels
1/2 c. butter
2 lb powdered sugar
1/4 c. milk
In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt caramels and butter together, stirring every 30 seconds until fully melted. Using an electric mixer on high, slowly beat in half of powdered sugar and half of milk. Continue to add sugar and milk, until a thick-but-spreadable consistency is reached. (Note: you may not need all the sugar or milk. Add it slowly at the end, there!)
Frost muffins while they are barely warm.
Allow frosting to cool and set before serving.
Smooth, Sexy, Utterly Undorky:
If you can’t be it, bake it.

33 Responses to “Lady X Cakes”

apparentlyjessy on March 23, 2009 at 2:48 am Reply

Your post made me giggle, I haven’t got any ex boyfriends…(I’ve been with my first boy for 6 years). But I do admit I have dreamt of walking past friends who I have fallen out with, while looking fabulous so I understand the dream!
    Yum, those cupcakes are rather gorgeous, and I do love banana and pineapple together! :)

Yaya on March 23, 2009 at 3:21 am Reply

Your cupcakes could totally have their own reality tv show.

And embrace that inner dork girl!

Congrats-first commenter on SITS!

The Blonde Duck on March 23, 2009 at 4:42 am Reply

I love those cakes. I don’t neccessarily want to see ex-bfs, I want to see all the people and ex-popular crowd who were so mean to me. I dream of being this rich and successful author while they toil away at a gas station or as a stripper.

I know. Bitter, party of one!

A cupcake would make it all better. :)

Lori on March 23, 2009 at 6:10 am Reply

It’s funny you mention the ex BF because I will be seeing one after 13 years in a few weeks and I am sooooo nervous. I am married with 4 kids but doubt anyone will be with me. Just a friendly Hello :)

Megan on March 23, 2009 at 7:53 am Reply

I’m with Blonde Duck – I dream of looking amazing next to the mean girls from middle school!

pink~leopard~print on March 23, 2009 at 8:00 am Reply

Ahh yes you are not alone because even if they don’t want to admit it, it gives every girl a little bit of delight to run into an ex looking fabulous.
    To quote the amazing Carrie Bradshaw, “I had often fantasized about running into my ex and his wife. But in those fantasies, I was running over them with a truck.” he he he

resplendentlife on March 23, 2009 at 8:23 am Reply

No, you are totally not a dork. Well, if you are then I am too, because I’m waiting for my ex-boyfriends to send me a FB friend request or something so that I can say…’na-na-na-na-na!!!’

Joy on March 23, 2009 at 8:44 am Reply

I never knew cupcakes could have so much joie de vivre!

Noah's Mommy on March 23, 2009 at 11:12 am Reply

X factor….tastes so yummy….and I have that dream about my ex husband all the time….and oh does it feel good….

Java Cupcake on March 23, 2009 at 11:26 am Reply

I’m loving your cupcake commentary.

And yessssssssss! Let’s join forces and create the ultimate orange creamsicle cupcake!!! Mine were a disaster!!!!

:) Much love!

RamblingMother on March 23, 2009 at 12:04 pm Reply

LOL! Stopping by from SITS today. I have an uncanny knack for running into ex-bfs when I look my absolute worst and so not intentionally either!!

Julie on March 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm Reply

Love those sassy cupcakes…I’d certainly hunt them down like the paparazzi!

Netter on March 23, 2009 at 2:55 pm Reply

Wait, isn’t dorky the new cool?! If not, I’m in trouble because I thought I was so cool all these years and now I might just be plain old dorky with out the “WOW” factor.

You have some yummy stuff on your site…I think I gained 10 pounds just looking at the pictures. Oh, but it was soooo worth it.

Michelle on March 23, 2009 at 3:34 pm Reply

Yay for being the #1 comment at SITS. I’ve been following/lurking for a while. What a cute post today…and yummy to boot!

From one dork to another…it must be a sister thing, because mine calls me that often!!

Dusty on March 23, 2009 at 4:57 pm Reply

Stopping by from SITS. Those cupcakes sound delicious! I say embrace the inner dork. I think dork is in.

Not Another Omnivore on March 23, 2009 at 6:42 pm Reply

I don’t really care to see anyone who is no longer in my life because I at one point started avoiding them…but if that scenario happened, then I would want to look fabulous. Unfortunately, I put little time into looking fabulous so the odds of this are slim. Sigh.

Alas though, dork isn’t so bad :)

NAOmni

Jen on March 23, 2009 at 6:50 pm Reply

Came over from SITS! I am so loving the Ex-factor.

Noodle on March 24, 2009 at 3:48 am Reply

Yummy sounding cupcakes! How do you keep coming up with winners like these?
    Embrace your inner dork, I say. I don’t dream of running into ex-boyfriends ’cause I didn’t have any! And I. Am. Embracing. It. Oh, yes…I am.

Cristine on March 24, 2009 at 7:12 am Reply

You never fail to bring a smile to my face! I love your blog so much! And your cupcakes look (and sound!) amazing!!!

Ronnica on March 24, 2009 at 7:37 am Reply

I haven’t had that thought, but give it a few years!

lyndsay on March 24, 2009 at 8:29 am Reply

“looking good is the best revenge” haha… !! your blog rules. love the personal with the comedy with the fun design with the recipes… ! :)

The Blonde Duck on March 24, 2009 at 1:26 pm Reply

When I am a famous author and Queen Bitty rules, I will be sure you and your cupcakes get their own country to frolic in! :)

Pixeltrash on March 24, 2009 at 1:30 pm Reply

The caramel icing sounds awesome!

As for running into ex’s… you might want to have one of these cupcakes on your arm. THEN they would be really impressed and sad that they lost you!

Destiny on March 24, 2009 at 5:43 pm Reply

Stopping by from SITS. Love the cupcakes.

jenjen on March 24, 2009 at 11:32 pm Reply

Oh, I just stumbled across your blog – I love it. Your cupcakes are so adorable!

Yes, I think every woman dreams of running into their EX. Of course we would be looking our skinniest, most beautiful with a designer outfit and high heels. The reality would probably be running into him whilst running a kid to school while we are still in our PJ’s with hair sticking up all over the place and mascara running all down our faces. LOL

Thanks for letting me drop by!

Jen

lorchick on March 25, 2009 at 11:38 am Reply

i found you through oneprettything on your cotton candy stick thingies. I was reading a few pages back and I decided that I completely love you and you’re the newest addition to my Bloglines blog collection. lol. You crack me up, and your recipes look delish.

lorchick on March 25, 2009 at 11:39 am Reply

oh and I have unabashedly paraded my personal hunk of a man and adorable blue-eyed baby in front of an ex or two. ahaha. Even though i felt a bit bad cos I did the ex’in. I don’t think it has the same charm… but it still makes you go ‘ohoho’ inside. :D :D :DDD

The Muse on March 27, 2009 at 1:07 am Reply

LOL well I dont have ay exs but I have to say…sounds fun! LOL

SHAME LOL

Mary Frances on March 29, 2009 at 12:43 am Reply

HAHA!!! I just found your blog and LOVE it!!

Sandy at God Speaks Today on March 29, 2009 at 8:07 pm Reply

If you are a dork, then so am I. I have two ex-boyfriends in particular that meet that particular fantasy qualification for moi.

But then I always FREAK OUT when I’m totally gross, unshowered and still wearing my glasses to run into Kroger and FEAR that will be the REAL day I run into one of them.

The next best thing to the accidentally perfect run-in is the absolutely FABULOUS photo on your Facebook profile…and then ask all your highschool peeps to be your friends.

There’s nothing better than hearing “you look fantastic” every couple days.

Too bad I only looked like that picture LITERALLY on the day I took that picture.

And I just gained 5 pounds reading this cupcake recipe.

Blessings,
    Sandy

Jaime on March 31, 2009 at 12:29 am Reply

Those look amazing, Brooke, you talented thing!

Kara on April 13, 2009 at 7:21 am Reply

Visiting from SITS and I just love your blog! Adding it to my list of favorites for sure!

ScrappinAway on April 13, 2009 at 5:01 pm Reply

I love the 2 spoon theory!