Peanut Butter Cream Puffs

Oh, I Know.
When I manage a blog with
Cupcake
in the title
I’m an April Fool to complain.
Yet.
roaming through
the high hills
in high heels.
Any suggestions?
Betty Crocker
Peanut Butter Cream Puffs
I love cream puffs. They remind me of weddings and French cafe’s. Inspired by my desire to lose a few round pounds, I thought it would be fun to give this elegant classic an American twist. I especially love the crisp bite of peanut butter puff with the rich chocolate topping.
So quick, simple, and decandant, they makes me want to jog another mile so I can have another bite.
For the CREAM PUFFS:
2 c. water
1/2 c. butter
1 (17.5 oz.) package Betty Crocker Peanut Butter Cookie Mix
4 eggs
For the FILLING:
1 1/2 c. heavy whipping cream
1/3 c. sugar
For the TOPPING:
1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 T. butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees
In a large saucepan, heat butter and water over medium-high heat until boiling. Add BETTY CROCKER Peanut Butter Cookie Mix and stir vigorously over heat until the mixture becomes a thick ball of dough and begins to clean side of the pan.
Remove from heat. Add one egg, stir until dough becomes smooth and egg is fully mixed in. Continue to add eggs one by one until all four eggs have been added.
Drop dough by 2-3 tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet, or cookie sheet prepared with a silpat mat. Cook in preheated oven for 5 minutes, then turn oven temperature down to 325 degrees and cook an additional 12 minutes.
Remove from oven, allow to stand until cream puffs are cool enough to slice in half. One cream puffs have been halved, turn the inside, doughy portion of each side face up, then return to the oven for an additional 5 minutes. Turn oven off, prop open slightly and allow puffs to cool and dry out for 15 minutes, more.
To make the filling: combine whipping cream and sugar in a medium bowl. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fill the center of cooled puffs.
To make the topping: In a small, microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and butter. Microwave for 30 seconds, stir. Return to microwave for 30 seconds, stir. Continue until chips are fully melted and mixture is smooth. Drizzle over the tops of cooled, filled cream puffs. Allow topping to harden slightly before serving.
Do I have a surprise for you!
And…I’m not joking.
Next weeks blog entry is HEAVENLY
(or shall I say devilishy delicious?)
It’s up to you to decide…
Stay tuned!

16 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cream Puffs”

Megan on April 1, 2009 at 6:52 am Reply

Wait, I don’t get it! Are the treats secretly healthy?

Ryan Ashley Scott on April 1, 2009 at 7:06 am Reply

I’ve never met a cream puff I didn’t like, but these sound (and look) absolutely divine.

p.s. my trainer told me that jumping rope for 3 minutes straight is the equivalent of running a mile. Now you don’t have to leave your sweet-smelling kitchen to work off a mushy tushy. :)

Live.Love.Eat on April 1, 2009 at 7:42 am Reply

You are so funny. I don’t know how you come up with not only all the goodness but the creative writing as well. Cellutis Gagaroofus. Hah!!!! I know him well.

P.S. I have a new header up from you for April. Looks great!!!!

It's All Good on April 1, 2009 at 8:05 am Reply

500 dollars for beef jerky? am I readin that right? well maybe thats an incentive to stay away from snacking! but your cream puffs most certainly are not.

Jen on April 1, 2009 at 11:55 am Reply

these look so good and so easy. Yu,!

The Muse on April 1, 2009 at 11:56 am Reply

I do aerobics while I nibble…so far, so good LOL LOL !!!

Becki Madsen on April 1, 2009 at 1:34 pm Reply

My suggestion is you look MARVELOUS Brooke, no need to worry about those extra pounds, eat what you want!!! Pretty soon as you and I reach old age, we won’t have teeth to devour such divine pleasures and we will wish we could eat anything, anything fattening and not just sip our soup with our dentures.. bring on peanut butter, chocolate and whatever else causes ones hips to shout for joy.

Sophie on April 1, 2009 at 7:32 pm Reply

Pb cream puffs sound divine :). I didn’t think it was possible to make cream puffs tastier than they already are, but it sounds like you’ve done it!

The Blonde Duck on April 2, 2009 at 5:33 am Reply

I’ve got to make these! Cream puffs and pb? YUM!

And I’m going to e-mail you your rough draft tonight. I was at work until 7 last night, so I didn’t get ANYTHING done!

Cristine on April 2, 2009 at 11:34 am Reply

Oh yum!!!!!

Pixeltrash on April 2, 2009 at 6:27 pm Reply

You are so funny. I can’t imagine why you would have trouble with a few lbs. I gain weight just looking at your blog. I LOVE it though. Very interesting that you can make cream puffs from a cookie mix. I really want to try it! You always inspire me to bake something and I am also trying to get about 10 lbs off before bathing suit season! STOP IT!!! LOL!

Meg on April 4, 2009 at 10:53 pm Reply

LOOKS INCREDIBLE!!! How do you keep all that up!?
    I adore you!

Barterbabe on April 13, 2009 at 7:49 am Reply

This is too funny. Thanks for the laughs and giggles.

Jes the Bes on April 13, 2009 at 10:08 am Reply

I love this recipe! So yummy and so easy.

windi on April 13, 2009 at 12:03 pm Reply

Yummy yummy yummy for my tummy tummy tummy!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

The Caretaker on April 13, 2009 at 3:55 pm Reply

I have got to try this. It looks so yummy.