Candied Popcolorn

Have you ever pondered the joy that is corn?
(No. Before this post, neither had I.)
Cornsider how void life would be without
corn chips
or
cornbread.
The jawbreaking crunch of cornnuts.
The finger-scalding freshness of hot corn on the cob.
And, might two hours of movie-watching the likes of
Brad Pitt or Gerard Butler
{or Robert Pattinson}
be tolerated without salt and butter
and {pop}corn?
I say nay.
Not to mention
where our language would be without the following words:
CORNerstone
CORNrows
CORNingware
pepperCORN
piCORNavirus
saliCORNia
Children of the CORN
*I rest my corn case.

Candied Popcolorn
I know some of you non-foodista’s will look over the next several paragraph’s and say “too much work!” To you, I say, give this one a go! It took my 10-year-old son and I about 25 minutes to whip up an entire patch of six-color popcorn (half the time for the siblings to tear through it the next day.) The flavoring is light, and fun with a pillowy-crisp coating perfected after baking in a two-hundred degree oven for an hour.
Crunch.Crunch.Time to Munch!
1 c. popcorn kernels
6 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. water
6 t. butter
1 t. vanilla
1 tsp. powdered jello mix
(I used strawberry, peach, lemon, lime, berry blue, grape)
Assorted Wilton icing colors
(should you desire to put some added color oomph)
1 tsp. baking soda
Cover two cookie sheets with foil, then spray lightly with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Set aside.
Using an airpopper, pop popcorn, then gentle transfer to a large bowl to remove any unpopped kernels. Should equal about 12 cups, popped. Prepare for your first batch of colored popcorn by spooning 2 cups of popped corn into a medium bowl. Set aside.
In a large saucepan, combine sugar, water, butter & vanilla. Bring to a boil and allow to bubble over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Push large sauce pan to back of stove, and place a medium saucepan over hot burner. Working quickly, spoon 1 c. of boiled sugar mixture into medium saucepan. A 1 tsp. of powdered jello mixture, whisk well, then allow to boil for one more minute. Remove from heat (I just left the stove on because I was returning quickly for the next batch and didn’t want to wait for it to reheat), put a pinch of baking soda in the mixture (just a bit! If the mixture doesn’t foam slightly, add just a bit more), stir, then pour immediately over the bowl readied with 2 cups of popcorn. Stir to coat, then spread into a corner of waiting cookie sheet (It doesn’t have to be a single layer, just sort of spread it out a bit so it’s not in a giant clump.)
Rinse saucepan with warm water, dry, then return to stovetop. Spoon another 1 cup of boiled sugar mixture into saucepan, add 1 tsp. of another color of jello powdered mix, then repeat as above with a second bowl of popcorn. Continue until all popcorn is coated, then bake in oven for an hour. Allow to cool before serving. Stores well in an airtight container for 1-3 days.
***

Finally, a few matters of beeswax:

(1) A big hey-there-and-hello to my newest followers.I’m trying to visit each of your sites in the coming week. Thanks for being patient with me! And…thanks for joining me here at CwaC!

(2)WELCOME to my newest site sponsor http://www.youcanmakethis.com/ , an astonishing collection of crafts & creations with the cleverest step-by-step instructions you’ve ever seen.

For more information about advertising on ConversationsWithACupcake

click HERE

(3) Vocabulary Word of the Week

(4)Happy Week Hugs!

27 Responses to “Candied Popcolorn”

Lisa on May 25, 2009 at 12:08 pm Reply

Now this would be perfect for a kids party.

The Cookie Girl on May 25, 2009 at 12:35 pm Reply

Love that colorful corn. YEs,Life would be dull without corn.
    lol

Noodle on May 25, 2009 at 1:55 pm Reply

I adore corn, especially since I was raised in farm country – Central Illinois. The corn grows really tall out there! My favorite is sweet corn on the cob, along with watermelon, sliced tomatoes, potato salad, and all those bbq/picnic-y foods. Yummy!

Diana on May 25, 2009 at 2:09 pm Reply

This looks like such a fun recipe. I can’t wait to try it out with my boys! Thanks. I am so happy I discovered your blog thru cjane.

Liz on May 25, 2009 at 2:46 pm Reply

Boy a great snack plus a nice conversation piece!

Sassypants Wifey on May 25, 2009 at 4:24 pm Reply

Oooh, that looks wonderful! I wish i felt like cooking at all.

Kim on May 25, 2009 at 4:25 pm Reply

Love the UniCORN pic..fabu recipe too!

{Katie Lane} on May 25, 2009 at 4:39 pm Reply

This is awesome!

apparentlyjessy on May 25, 2009 at 5:47 pm Reply

I love popcorn whilst watching movies…perhaps I will have to make some for my S&TC marathon effort!

I would love for you to come live near me…hehe but I live in a seaside town, and sadly not many white picket fence cottage like homes… but hey, how about a sea side house? We got plenty of those! I'd love to bake you cupcakes any old time!

Amanda on May 25, 2009 at 7:19 pm Reply

Even though I usually only get a few pieces into my popcorn before moving on to something cakey and delicious, I love these fun colors! And… corn is tops. My favorite is sweet corn bread.

Katie on May 26, 2009 at 7:01 am Reply

It looks so pretty! I’m not a very good baker/cook/food creator, but maybe I should give this one a go. I mean, its POPCORN! How badly can I mess that up?!?!? :)

Noah's Mommy on May 26, 2009 at 7:01 am Reply

Corn…fabulous….wonderous, under appreciated corn….Love how it got a brighter makeover….

Bonnie on May 26, 2009 at 8:08 am Reply

Love, love, love this treat idea!!! I am definitely making this for my daughter’s birthday party this year! What a happy little bowl of corn that is! LOVE it!

Sophie on May 26, 2009 at 9:18 am Reply

My goodness, this would be such a great treat to serve at any kiddos party! How fun! My hubby is a big popcorn fan, I’ll have to pass this recipe along to him :).

The Blonde Duck on May 26, 2009 at 12:24 pm Reply

I just love everything you do. I’m checking out that craft site!

Diagnose Rachel on May 26, 2009 at 7:44 pm Reply

awww…sweet sweets!
    I’m going to print this for the kids to do with the nanny this summer. FUN WITH JELLO!
    (funny for me after half a year of eatting only Jello and oatmeal and produce so that I could avoid gallbladder surgery during preggo #4…i would make a GALLON of Jello every 5 days. That’s how much I ate!)
    I’m also going to add it to my recipe book for “things to look forward to doing again when I’m a healthy mom again”

Thanks for the smiles :)

Phantomkid on May 27, 2009 at 9:39 am Reply

I love the popcorn!
    I also would like to take this time to tell you that
    Do terra essential oils are toxic. If you take them look to see if yours is toxcic.
    for more ifo go to the site below

Michelle on May 27, 2009 at 11:11 am Reply

How fun is this??!! I know that my daughter would get a huge kick out of this pretty popcorn!

Life is too short to eat boring plain popcorn! Thanks for sharing!!

Jaime on May 27, 2009 at 2:20 pm Reply

You’re a hoot (And I almost NEVER say that word!)
    Thank you for bringing to my attention one more thing to be grateful for in my nightly prayers!

lyndsay on May 27, 2009 at 3:27 pm Reply

CUTE! love the pale perfect padtel popcorn…

Joshley and The Charles on May 27, 2009 at 6:03 pm Reply

I love cooking and i love your blog!! I am new to all of this and I will totally be back :)

kathy on May 27, 2009 at 7:49 pm Reply

Oh my boys will love this! I’m sorry I’ve been absent, I left a post on my blog explaining everything.

newlyweds on May 28, 2009 at 2:45 pm Reply

What a cute idea!! Love popcorn, and sweet corn even better, love reading you posts. So fun.

Tami (Pixeltrash) on May 28, 2009 at 6:24 pm Reply

I love You Can Make This. That’s where I learned to sew!

Your corn is toooo pretty. I’d love to try it.

Mary@Holy Mackerel on May 28, 2009 at 8:16 pm Reply

Corn has been my favourite vegetable since I was a wee one. I would be such a sad little person without it in my life.

flamegoddess65 on May 29, 2009 at 6:39 am Reply

gotta love how you so subtly added Mr. Pattinson into your blog ;)

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" on May 29, 2009 at 9:37 am Reply

Adorable!! I love all the colors! I grew up eating PINK popcorn just like this.