cJane’s Mountainous Angel Food Cupcakes

5:56 a.m. Snooze alarm
6:05 a.m. Alarm re-re-buzzes
6:06 a.m. Turn off alarm
6:07 a.m. Wipe sand from eyes
6:08 a.m. Strap on eyeglasses
6:09 a.m. Place hand on saddlebags
(Still there. WHY can’t I rid myself of them by eating late-night-cookies?)
6:09.15 a.m. Feet on ground.
6:09.16 a.m. Walk the worn carpet path
6:09.26 a.m. Kerplunk saddlebags on wooden computer chair
(wooden chairs make me spend less time at computer. Hoping that will help the SB’s)
6:09.34 a.m. Loading….
6:09.44 a.m. Loading…
6:09.54 a.m. Here it comes….!
6:09.59 a.m. Yes! There she is…
6:10 a.m. cJane
6:10.01 a.m. Good.Morning.
NOW the yellow day can begin.

I couldn’t believe it. I’d emailed THE COURTNEY of cJaneRun with a teensy proposition. I would create a recipe inspired by her, and together we would unite blogs for one glorious day of frivoloscity. I couldn’t believe it, but there she was. Emailing back with a hearty hip-hip-hooray!
Not long afterwards, she posted a poll asking her readers to choose which of three offered recipes most fit her mojo, and within hours there was a knock-your-socks-off winner.
Mountainous Angel Food Cupcakes
with Burnt Butter Icing and
a Halo of Sugared Berries & Fresh Flowers.
Is it any wonder? Since discovering cJane (and her good Chup) in the middle of their selfless caring for dearest sister Stephanie’s children as she recovered from a nearly-fatal plane crash, I’d been mesmerized by her fierce loyalty to family. Her keen wit. Her storytelling abilities. Her storyweaving abilities. Her maternal musings (which so often speak the very heart of my unspeakable yearnings, though my own words could never capture it in the way she does.)
Therefore, it was with greatest pleasure that I invited a regular lass of a cupcake into my kitchen for a cJane celebration. It was time to show her just how much oomph some cJane could infuse into her style. Time to give that cuppie some spice. Time to share the ultimate cJane Recipe Extreme Makeover.
After all, the polls had spoken.
Without further adieu,
I give you…
cJane’s Mountainous Angel Food Cupcakes
complete with spice.spice.spice
I baked these three times. Partly to ensure the perfect proportions of ingredients (angel-food cake can be finicky). Mostly to sink and re-sink my teeth into the satisfying combination of textures and flavors offered by this addictiable combination. Just like their mama muse, cJane, these cupcakes boast colour, flavour, texture, style and….well…spice. Everything about them is irresistably cJane. (and perhaps a little bit of The Chief.)
Simply.Wondrously.Devour Worthy.
cJane Enjoy.
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
a pinch of salt
3/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. butter flavoring
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
zest of one lemon
1 c. flour
Allow egg whites to warm to room temperature. (This helps them beat up ultra-fluffy). Using an electric mixer, whip eggs until soft peaks form. Add cream of tartar, baking powder, and salt then slowly add sugar while beating. The batter should now be a soft, fluffy meringue that with firmish peaks. Add remaining ingredients, slowly incorporating flour while continuing to beat. To keep from over-beating the batter, use your electric mixer just until the flour has disappeared into a pillowy batter, then spoon into prepared cupcake pans, filling 3/4 full. Bake in an oven preheated to 325 degrees for 16-18 minutes, or just until the center of the cupcakes bounce back when gently touched. Remove from oven. Allow to cool.
Burnt-Butter Icing
4 T. butter
1 1/2 c. mini marshmallows
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. powdered sugar
1-3 tsp. milk
In a medium saucepan, bring butter to a boil over extremely high heat. Do not stir. Allow butter to boil just until it takes on a medium brown hue (you want to burn it, not scorch it!). Once browned, immediately add marshmallows to the pan. Remove from heat. Add vanilla, powdered sugar and 1 tsp. of the milk. Now start to whip it with your electric mixer. Just whip and whip (and stop to taste and adore.) Then whip and whip some more. Add milk as needed. The consistency should be thick, but spoonably soft. The flavor of fresh caramel on a vanilla fudge cloud. Place a heaping spoonful atop cooled cupcakes. Top immediately with fresh sugared berries.
Crystal Sugared Berries
Recipe & Directions can be found here.
P.S. For cJane’s cupcakes, I sugared blackberries, blueberries, raspberries and whole strawberries (cutting them causes them to weep, so be sure you leave them fresh & whole). In doing so, I discovered the indominatable joy that comes when the greens of the strawberry are sugar-crystallized. They become beautifully crisp, with each pointed end standing at attention in it’s own divine direction. I highly recommend sugaring those stems & greens.
Peppermint leaves also stand up well to a light sugaring. Be sure to coat them very lightly with egg white & the lightest sprinkling of sugar to keep them from bending under the weight of it all.
If you plan to purchase fresh edible flowers to decorate your cupcakes, be sure to purchase them from a package specifically labeling them as food products. I can’t bear to think of the stress our nation would endure should the Flower Flu hit our streets. Because most edible flowers are extremely delicate, do not sugar coat their petals lest you like your flowers droopy as an old lady’s sportsbra.
Finally, the great cJane cupcake is…well…glorious. However, when recreating these cupcakes in your own kitchen, I would consider a simplified version of her majesty’s treats. A head full of berries is quite a heavy load for a young cupcake to tote around, so plan on sticking with a capful of lightweight berries, leaves and petals if you like your cupcake’s show-off worthy. Happy Baking!
My {every}night routine
7:00 p.m. Announce bedtime to children
7:35 p.m. Re-announce bedtime
8:15 p.m Re-re announce bedtime
(this time three octaves higher than the inital announcement)
8:45 p.m. Read final bedtime story
8:53 p.m. Tickle tiny backs
8:55 p.m. Dole out final bedtime kisses
8:59 p.m. Dole out final.final bedtime kisses
9:15 p.m. Jump into bed next to hubby
9:16 p.m. Snack on home-baked cookies
9:17 p.m. Wonder if I’ll regret cookie-eating in morning
9:18 p.m. Decide I won’t and eat another cookie
(or four.)
9:19.05 p.m. Feel cookie arrive safely inside my saddlebags
9:19.06 p.m. Sigh
9:20 p.m. Swear off sugar
(But since that starts…tomorrow…)
9:20.06 p.m. Eat another cookie

50 Responses to “cJane’s Mountainous Angel Food Cupcakes”

Rebecca on May 19, 2009 at 12:30 am Reply

Love it. Beautiful.. Yummm, Yummm, Yummm

Cristine on May 19, 2009 at 1:53 am Reply

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous!

Yaya on May 19, 2009 at 3:33 am Reply

Those sound so good!

First SITS commenter today, good job!

Melli on May 19, 2009 at 4:09 am Reply

I am a huge fan of CJane and found your blog through her blog – you have captured her nicely! Good work. Now go eat a cookie.

apparentlyjessy on May 19, 2009 at 4:11 am Reply

What glamorous cupcakes! I love the look of the sugared fruit and flowers on top! Great collaboration. I like late night cookies too ;)

Bev on May 19, 2009 at 5:33 am Reply

those looks so yummy! love your writing!

Tiffany on May 19, 2009 at 5:40 am Reply

Those are gorgeous! I’m impressed!

EntertainingMom on May 19, 2009 at 5:40 am Reply

over from SITS! Loving your routine! LOL and I will have to try your burnt butter recipe… looks absolutely fab!!!

gigi on May 19, 2009 at 5:54 am Reply

Yummy for the tummy. Sounds easy enough I could make them. Beautifully decorated!

Manic Mother on May 19, 2009 at 6:54 am Reply

Looks so good! I mentioned your blog today on mine.

SweetThings on May 19, 2009 at 7:02 am Reply

Once again, gorgeous pics. Wonderful recipes and of course, you make me laugh!

Lydia on May 19, 2009 at 7:07 am Reply

These are truly gorgeous Brooke! I was wondering, though, the cake recipe says “6 eggs”–do you mean just 6 egg whites? I assume so since you are making Angel Food Cake. Thanks–Can’t wait to try these!

The Muse on May 19, 2009 at 7:29 am Reply

Awesome!….
    Your style is so bright and delightful I probably told you that before :) But what cupcaker doesn’t like sweetness? Once more an awesome post, Of course…with so much free time(LOL LOL LOL)one would expect no less…LOL

Orchardviewcottage on May 19, 2009 at 7:54 am Reply

Oh yummm…. Your routine sounds like mine!! THose cupcakes won’t be good for my saddlebags, thats for sure!!

moseyalong on May 19, 2009 at 8:37 am Reply

My 6:10 a.m. is the same as yours (and pretty much everything leading up to it). Since I first followed you over here from cjane originally, I LOVE that you’ve created this lemony goodness for her. I just might have to make myself some (and I might even share) and pretend you made them for me.

Sweetest Of All on May 19, 2009 at 8:57 am Reply

U are truly HILARIOUS!

c jane on May 19, 2009 at 10:12 am Reply

Not to make this all about me, but don’t I look lovely?

Bring on the Flower Flu!

Merci Brooke. I haven’t looked this good in years.

Christa Jeanne on May 19, 2009 at 10:38 am Reply

Well, aren’t you just the cutest blog ever?! I’m a CJane fan and have just hit up your blog for the first time – and, sure enough, you’re good enough to be in the Google Reader now. In the Friends feed. Thanks for the fun!!! I can’t wait to start digging through the treasure mine of a blog you’ve got here and trying some of the recipes.

it's just lisa on May 19, 2009 at 10:40 am Reply

Beautiful post:) love the tickle tiny backs part.

Jamie on May 19, 2009 at 10:45 am Reply

I’m visiting your blog through c janes and am loving it! You are full of talent and are (like jane) an excellent writer.

Oh – and you’re not alone…I too battle with saddle bags and cookies :)

The Whispering Poppies on May 19, 2009 at 10:49 am Reply

I’ve come here via CJane… and wowza… YUM! What a creation! (PS – that was my vote, among the 2,000+ others.) =)

natalie on May 19, 2009 at 11:01 am Reply

You are so talented! And these are so cjane!

KelliSue Kolz on May 19, 2009 at 11:24 am Reply

Those are beautiful! I have to sugar some berries this summer and put them all over the top of everything delectable.

The Blonde Duck on May 19, 2009 at 11:27 am Reply

You always amaze and amuse me. I would move in with you in a heartbeat.

TheQueen@TerrorsInTiaras on May 19, 2009 at 12:10 pm Reply

Just lovely.
    I have that same conversation with myself and the chocolate chip cookies way more often then I’d like to admit…

Gray on May 19, 2009 at 12:50 pm Reply

correction: cjane enjoy it! lovely. simply lovely…

Sinclair on May 19, 2009 at 1:30 pm Reply

I was in the chili mango camp, but now I realize that I was actually voting for MY quintessential cupcake and not Courtney’s. I think the thousands had it correct, and I have also marked your blog for revisit. Wonderfully entertaining and delectable.

Nat on May 19, 2009 at 1:54 pm Reply

New follower, and new FAN! I love Love LOVE this post and this blog! If you ever need a taste tester don’t hesitate to call…

Kacey on May 19, 2009 at 1:58 pm Reply

Beautiful! What a talent you have.

LORI on May 19, 2009 at 2:04 pm Reply

GORGEOUS CUPCAKE–I CAN ALMOST TASTE IT! WHAT A GREAT TRIBUTE! STOPPING BY FROM SITS.

Heidi on May 19, 2009 at 2:33 pm Reply

My SBs are still recovering from the Wild Strawberry Cuppies… ;) Someday soon I will have to give these a try…so cjane! Love your blog, thanks for inviting us all in!

Jennifer B. on May 19, 2009 at 2:40 pm Reply

Wow! It looks completely scrumptious :)

Geo on May 19, 2009 at 2:53 pm Reply

Niiiiiice.

Diagnose Rachel on May 19, 2009 at 3:31 pm Reply

Found you from cjane.
    I too am a stay at home mom of 4,
    so I like this blog even more! If my health had continued, this is the blog, this is the life I wanted! cooking and writing, while having the kids. :) Until that day (of health and cooking) comes back, I can’t wait to read about it on your blog :)
    Thanks Cupcake! (oh dear, I need to read more of this, so I know what to call you…)

please know you made my day here in seattle, with a new blog to discover as I pretend to take my afternoon nap. (hey, atleast I’m ‘resting’ like the doctors wanted!)

Sparcam on May 19, 2009 at 4:10 pm Reply

You nailed ‘em! Can’t wait to give these babies a try!

caronae on May 19, 2009 at 4:53 pm Reply

These are some of the most beautiful cupcakes I’ve ever seen! I definitely want to try to make them – they seem like a summery cupcake!

Phantomkid on May 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm Reply

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous!
    Wonderful job!

Lilly on May 19, 2009 at 5:52 pm Reply

Oh my goodness, that post was devine in every sense. Well done. And I am so making some cupcakes using that recipe. What a novel idea. I wonder what my cupcake would look like – funny to imagine!

Rosie on May 19, 2009 at 6:45 pm Reply

Your “Carmen Miranda Cupckaes” look soooo delicioso!

Marci on May 19, 2009 at 6:54 pm Reply

So cool! Totally love your blog!!

Amanda on May 19, 2009 at 8:18 pm Reply

These sugared fruits are super gorgeous!!! I have been wanting to sugar pansies since last summer but I am so nervous. Your sugared fruits look like perfect candies!

Vanessa on May 19, 2009 at 10:07 pm Reply

OH I am quite excited for this blog :) I talk to my cupcakes too ;)

Little Miss Baker on May 21, 2009 at 9:10 am Reply

you are the best. I love it!! These seem like tricky little suckers to make!! I may have to get my big girl panties on to try these. Oh and some free time haha to document it all! Well done my friend!! xo

Noodle on May 21, 2009 at 11:56 am Reply

This is such a wonderful and witty post, Brooke! I would say that you rock. :) And your recipes and pictures! I know cjane will love these!
    (Let us know her verdict on them, okay?)
    Diane

The Blonde Duck on May 21, 2009 at 12:04 pm Reply

Queen Bitty would be delighted to have Yoda attend!

cadi on May 21, 2009 at 10:58 pm Reply

I was laughing out loud through most of your post. It is so refreshing to hear that some other gal has the same EXACT routine as me. It is so refreshing and reminds me not to stress about the snooze button, SB, denying that my food cosumption has anything to do with my SB, tiny backs, repeated calls for bed, and the daily swearing of sugar.

Love you to pieces! Thanks for something so refreshing.

(also, I’m a spaz for cake. my kids always bring me home cake from their Bday parties, they eat half and ask to take the rest to me cuz, “My mom loves Cake”.)

Maggie May on May 24, 2009 at 2:12 pm Reply

Oh I love CJane’s blog, and yours is wonderful to find, what beautiful and delicious snacking!

Megan on May 24, 2009 at 5:29 pm Reply

Love this post and your daily routine! Going to have to try these very very soon – they sound delicious!

WishTrish on May 24, 2009 at 10:02 pm Reply

Seriously? This is my favorite thing you’ve done EVER. Love it!

disa on December 5, 2009 at 9:16 am Reply