Wild Strawberry Cuppies

Been grappling
with the both of me.
The Diva Side
which has deliciously saucy comebacks
for minor offences.
Like when the lady at the post office
slapped my little boys hands away from the
“pick-a-number-for-your-eighty-minute-wait-in-line”
machine.
After leaving
(it’s ALWAYS after leaving)
I realize I should have said
Well, hoooowdy!
On behalf of all the citizens
of the planet earth
I thank you
for patrolling our line numbers
and keeping our green world safe and clear
of any mis-pulled number confusion
that may result from the accidental
mis-taking of a
diggity-dang digit.
(The diva is me enjoys the spitting furor offered by alliterative phrases.)
It was my
Proper-Christian-Woman side
that kept me from
cat-ripping her hair out
in the first place.
I can’t imagine Jesus
or the post-office clerk
would have much appreciated
the balden hunks I considered thiefing
from her graying mane
And, I find
as I drive my car
(a little faster than I know I ought)
that I’m glad
over refinement.
And, the Good Lord knows
I need all the
refining
I can get.
Wild Strawberry Cuppies
You know those boxed pink cake mixes that sit on the shelf at the grocery store? If you’ve ever walked past them and smirked at the poor misuse of the term, “strawberry flavored” be prepared to start a full out campaign to shun them. A taste of these fresh, fresh, lick ‘em fresh real-flavored strawberry cupcakes and you’ll have to wear sunglasses to keep from looking directly at those poor, pent-up imitations of said glorious, summer fruit. Cuz, honey. Once you’ve have the real thing. Those other thangs simply won’t do.
Makes 36 beautifully round, moist cupcakes.
16 oz. strawberries, destemmed
4 eggs
1 3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. flour
Place first four ingredients in a blender. Blend until fully pureed. Pour into a large bowl and mix with remaining ingredients. Spoon into cupcake wrappers. Bake at 325 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Allow to cool. Frost with recipe below.
Sweet & Pure Strawberry Buttercream
3/4 c. fresh strawberries, destemmed
1/2 c. butter
1 tsp. vanilla
2 lb. powdered sugar
Over a large bowl, crush the strawberries in your hands. Allow juice & pulp to fall into bowl. Sniff fingers. Lick fingers. Wash hands. Add remaining ingredients & beat well with an electric mixer. Frost cooled cupcakes. Allow to set at room temperature.
There was a little girl, Who had a little curl,
Right in the middle of her forehead.
When she was good, She was very good indeed,
But when she was bad she was horrid.
~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

40 Responses to “Wild Strawberry Cuppies”

Lisa on May 11, 2009 at 10:10 pm Reply

mmmnn! You are right about those tasteless strawberry box mixes.

The Cooking Photographer on May 11, 2009 at 11:37 pm Reply

These cupcakes are going in my special messy much loved recipe pile.

And you know, I wonder if it’s meant to be that we don’t have the words to say those nasty things when we need them most. It might be an old self preservation tactic still floating in our DNA somewhere lol.

the ungourmet on May 11, 2009 at 11:54 pm Reply

I would have had trouble controlling myself if someone slapped my child hand!

These cuppies look most excellent!

OldeAnnie on May 12, 2009 at 12:20 am Reply

When I read what that lady did it brought back a few memories of similar incidences. I, too, refrained. I have aged considerably since then and somehow the older I get the easier those words come now! lol I call them my “Fried Green Tomatoes” moments! LOL

Gotta try those cupcakes! LOVE them ‘berries!! ~~Annie

Rebecca on May 12, 2009 at 12:31 am Reply

These look delicious.
    Isn’t amazing how that mother bear comes out of us, when someone mistreats our children.

apparentlyjessy on May 12, 2009 at 3:21 am Reply

Haha, love it! I think we all have a good and a bad side!
    The strawberry cupcakes look so cute! :)

Noah's Mommy on May 12, 2009 at 5:18 am Reply

there are those times…where it feels sooo good…to be sooo bad….kudos to you though…for being the bigger person….

Mrsblocko on May 12, 2009 at 6:55 am Reply

Well I must be the miniority, cause I love those strawberry boxed cake mixes. I bet your version is even better though. I’ve just planted some strawberries and will wait to try this out when I harvest my “crop”!

Whitney on May 12, 2009 at 8:56 am Reply

Those look so divine. And you know, I’ve never had a good experience at the post office. The hubs has to come with me to make sure I get out of there with most of my sanity. . .

Cristine on May 12, 2009 at 12:31 pm Reply

I can’t believe someone actually did that!!! I’m impressed that you held your tongue!

Cupcakes look GREAT!

Jen on May 12, 2009 at 12:40 pm Reply

you totally have the best recipes! I am so making these this weekend.

Jaime on May 12, 2009 at 3:09 pm Reply

I’m proud of you, Brooke. I’ve given dirty looks–the passive aggressive ones that only make me look like a you-know-what and don’t actually get to the heart of the problem—that make me feel guilty for the whole rest of the day.
    I wish you were there as my guardian angel on Sunday to refrain me from getting very upset when my kids had to go to the bathroom during my favorite hymn that we almost never sing (except for 6 months ago when I had to remove screaming kids) during sacrament on Mother’s Day–MOTHER’S DAY!!! I told them they made me VERY angry. Poor Charlie and Sophie. Just caught in the middle of a oh-so-slight emotional breakdown.
    You would have handled it much better, I suspect! You’re a fantastic mom.
    Hey, what happened to last week? We are just two busy gals!

janice on May 12, 2009 at 8:51 pm Reply

Oooh, those cupcakes look divine! I’ll have to give them a try too- after I get to the rainbow layered cake! (my 3-yr old adores the strawberry boxed mix because it’s so “beautiful”)

moseyalong on May 13, 2009 at 11:32 am Reply

Your restraint is admirable, especially since someone else laid hands on YOUR kid! Unhand my child! However, you seem a much nicer person than I.
    I’m glad you can balance your two sides so well, especially when a strawberry cupcake is the result. Love that first image, so saucy….

Noodle on May 13, 2009 at 3:26 pm Reply

Nummy! My Word file is full of your recipes (credited to you :), that I want to try.
    Also, it’s cool that cjane is picking out one of your creations to sample. Yay! Now more people will be drawn to share in your fun senses of humor and taste!

Valerie on May 13, 2009 at 5:13 pm Reply

i just strolled over from cjane and WOW! you have a new follower. fab-o recipies and delicious stories– the perfect combination!

Angie on May 13, 2009 at 8:25 pm Reply

I love the name of your blog.

The strawberry cupcakes look great.

sarah on May 14, 2009 at 2:44 pm Reply

Goodness gracious these look delicious. I must try these soon.

Tami (Pixeltrash) on May 14, 2009 at 4:20 pm Reply

That little girl with a little curl poem is one my mom used to say all the time! Haven’t heard it in forever.

Those strawberry cupcakes look so good and I’m not even that big a strawberry fan!

Christina Lee on May 15, 2009 at 5:37 am Reply

wow- yummy- I cant believe that women- I hope you at least made her burst into flames with your eyes- it works!!!!

Michelle on May 15, 2009 at 11:38 am Reply

Ok…so I chuckled, ok I giggled when I saw that little strawberry cuppie face down.

This looks great, as usual….and I love love the little poem at the close of the post! Thanks for sharing.

Amy Lynn on May 15, 2009 at 11:40 am Reply

I just discovered you and I think we should be best friends! What a fabulous woman who has a way with words and cupcakes. What delightful talents to combine! I’m having so much fun reading your blog…and my 4-year old is absolutely salivating at the cookies and other delights while sitting here on my lap!

The Muse on May 15, 2009 at 11:11 pm Reply

if you ever find a solution~let me know…perhaps I can stop taking my meds! LOL

Heidi on May 16, 2009 at 12:03 am Reply

These cupcakes are DIVINE. I made them the day you posted and called my sil to tell her about them and your blog. YUM-O! Next time, I think I will buy new baking powder, however. I wondered why mine just kind of sat flat…then I checked the date on the bp…Jan 2007. I don’t bake much…see…you inspired me! Still delicious, though!

Mary Frances on May 18, 2009 at 9:29 am Reply

HAHAHA!!! LOL Love your example, cause it truley is harder to keep your mouth shut sometimes than not!!! But there is SUCH satisfaction in knowing you did the right thing!!! Btw- I LOVE the pink cake mix!!! HAHA!!! I use it to make my famous pink cookies. I do a lot of stuff with some African refugee kids and they beg for the cookies!!! LOL I didn’t even know they were strawberry flavored though, we just call them “The Pink Cookies!”

lillysmum on May 22, 2009 at 9:49 pm Reply

You rock, these are delicious. thank you!

Anonymous on May 26, 2009 at 3:29 pm Reply

I really, really, really wanted to fall in love with this recipe, but it didn’t turn out for me. The cakes didn’t have much strawberry flavor (more floury tasting) and the frosting was like cement and too sweet. Any ideas on what I may have done incorrectly?

ConversationsWithACupcake on May 26, 2009 at 4:45 pm Reply

Anonymous- A few thoughts: Are you at sea level? If so, perhaps an additional 1/2 tsp. of baking powder. Did you have good, ripe strawberries? If they weren't nice & red and full of flavor to begin with, I can't imagine the cake would come out any differently. Did you add the powdered sugar a little at a time? Often, you'll find, you don't need all the sugar indicated (and sometimes a little more than indicated).

I'd probably need a little more information from you to really figure it out. Ultimately, stick with it! Baking is truly and art & can take a bit of tinkering to get it all to work just.right in your own kitchen.

Good luck!

Anonymous on May 26, 2009 at 5:04 pm Reply

Thanks for your thoughts, Brooke! I suspect the strawberries may have had something to do with them (they weren’t wild…store-bought since that’s my only option right now)…so, I can’t say they were the best quality. I do live closer to sea level, so I’m going to adjust my copy of the recipe to add an add’l 1/2 tsp of baking powder to see if that helps. And, LOL, I added the powdered sugar all at once (can you tell I am a novice baker?). So, next time, I’m adding the sugar little by little, haha. Thanks for the tips! Newbie here, and love your blog!

Kerri on June 1, 2009 at 3:36 pm Reply

Loved the cupcakes…and the frosting was divine. Added a touch of milk for the right consistency and got rave reviews. Thanks!

Rachel on June 3, 2009 at 6:11 am Reply

Aaaaaa-mazing! First time I've baked from your blog. I'll be back for sure!

Stefunkc on June 8, 2009 at 5:14 pm Reply

Just made these to give to our neighbors who share their water to fill our pool. I haven't had one yet but I did eat some of the remaining icing with a spoon. I had to stop myself from eating the whole thing!

Tanya Leigh on June 12, 2009 at 5:15 pm Reply

What a fun site you've got here! – Having just stocked up on super-sale-strawberries, I look very much forward to these delights :)

Sabrina on June 14, 2009 at 7:04 pm Reply

I just made your cupcakes, but had some problems. The frosting turned out great, but the cupcakes had the texture of half-cooked cake. They were very firm and grey colored. They tasted good, but the texture wasn't cupcake texture at all. What did I do wrong? I had a thought that mayeb it was the 4 eggs, because eggs make baked goods firm, but I wasn't sure. :(

ConversationsWithACupcake on June 14, 2009 at 8:29 pm Reply

Sabrina-

Thanks for your feedback.

Here are a few thoughts:
    (1) Were your strawberries quite ripe and red? These cupcakes really rely on extremely ripe, red, sweet fruit to give them appropriate color and flavor.
    (2) Are you cooking at sea level? If so, try adding 1/2 tsp. of additional baking powder to the batter.
    (3) Yes, eggs definitely change the texture of baked goods. These come out thick and chewy. If you're looking for a lighter, cake-like texture you can try using only 3 eggs, or 2 eggs and 2 whipped eggs whites. Decrease the flour by 1/4 c. if you do that.

Hope that helps!

Anonymous on June 17, 2009 at 11:47 am Reply

Should the butter be melted before going into the blender?

Sounds delicious! Can't wait to try some!

ConversationsWithACupcake on June 17, 2009 at 3:59 pm Reply

No need to melt the butter before hitting the blended (unless, of course, your blender is one of those weak-bladed beauties as mine is.) Otherwise, just stick it all in there and rev it up.

Good luck!

denali on July 13, 2009 at 11:22 am Reply

Ahhh, I should have read the comments first! I would have compensated for being at sea level and also reduced the eggs by one. I had no problem with the gray cupcakes, lack of food coloring doesn't bother me a bit, but they were a bit too heavy and wet for my taste. Instead I fell back on that strawberry box mix with your frosting, though I did add Cool Whip to the frosting to compensate for all the powdered sugar. Yeah, sugar for sugar, crazy I know, but it worked :) (Next time I'll use less powdered sugar and call it good.) Thanks for the recipe! :)

Anonymous on October 7, 2009 at 3:20 pm Reply

I am the Birthday cake baker in our family and used this frosting as both the filling between 2 white cake layers w added chopped strawberries and all over cake frosting! My very picky sister tasted the frosting and asked "how did you get it to taste like fresh strawberry's?" Thank you for the ever inspiring delicious and creative recipes!

Mandie on March 10, 2010 at 1:40 pm Reply

I have been so excited to try these and finally made them today. My batch only made 23 cupcakes though, and they are flat and gray. I have the elevation/baking powder problem to fix and the strawberries could have been more ripe, but would that be the reason it only made 23? I bought a pack of strawberries that said 16 oz. at the store but maybe it wasn't enough? I'm sure I added 3 cups of flour. Anyway, thought I'd ask! The frosting is amazing though – I just gotta fix the cupcakes!