Honeyed Kiwi-Lime Chicken Salad

I’ve worn a ponytail for eight days in a row.
And, darling, let me tell you.
Soon as I pull out the pony holder to pull back my limp lockes,
I know it’s over.
I’ve turned into Mama Dowdy
and ain’t nothing can pull me back together
‘Til I wake the next morning and attempt to rediscover my style.
Please, tell me I am not alone.
One of these days, I’ve promised myself I will create a cupcake
devoted to the summer mommy ponyhead.
In the meantime, I shall fantasize
a dual life.
One wherein I wake in the morning as Perky, Put-Together Mom
{tresses flowing in the wind}
Then progressively become more suave as the day proceeds.
~To review~
Morning: Adorably put-together, patient, well-planned mama.
Evening: Va-va-voluptuously heeled and aproned, stirring the makings of a divine dinner for that handsome chap I call hubby.
For Now: Here I sit, cropped grey sweats and a ponybun bobbing on my head.
A girl can dream, right?
Tonight, I’m content to allow my Kiwi Chicken Salad the honor of being both
Kid-Friendly and Party Perfect.
She’s such a versatile vixen.*

Most tremendous thanks to my 6-year-old for proving just how easy it is to make this simple recipe for lunch. He’s a kitchen natural.
Honeyed Kiwi-Lime Chicken Salad

The gentle flavors of fresh kiwi and apple come together as a pure palate pleasure in this mild chicken salad. It’s quick, simple, and easy to whip up the evening before a school lunch is to be toted. Just make sure you don’t add the kiwi and apples until the morning to keep the fruit from wilting overnight. Get your kids involved with preparing their own lunch by inviting them to spoon the chicken salad atop croissants or hawaiian sweet rolls. But, don’t let the child-friendly nature of this dish fool you. It’s just as friendly with grown-ups. Whether you pack it in a lunch box or serve it at a swanky dinner party, you’re sure to be delighted with this dish.
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 T. honey
1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1/2 T. diced basil, mint OR cilantro
Dash of nutmeg
Juice and Zest of 1 lime
1/2 c. fuji apple, finely diced
2 Zespri green kiwifruits, diced
12.5 oz can chunk chicken breast, drained
1/4 c. chopped almonds or walnuts
In a large bowl, combine first six ingredients. Add all other ingredients to bowl, then stir to coat the chicken and fruit. Serve immediately or refrigerate until needed.
Rawwwwwr.

12 Responses to “Honeyed Kiwi-Lime Chicken Salad”

Lisa on August 6, 2009 at 9:27 pm Reply

That is the cutest kiwi I've ever seen!

Rachelle @ "Mommy? I'm Hungry!" on August 6, 2009 at 9:30 pm Reply

Oh please! A ponytail is more stylin' than my hair clipped up in a bun, like it is every day I'm in the house! lol!

This is adorable, but I just cant bring myself to like chicken salad with fruits an nuts in it. But if your little one eats it, it must be good! I'll admit I've never heard of kiwi in the recipe before! =)

Chablis on August 6, 2009 at 9:41 pm Reply

YUM! I'm totally sitting in my cut off sweats and my hair is in a pony. Ahhh, life of a mom. I'm convinced I may be able to be the kind of vixen you talk about with a couple of Diet Cokes, but I've been a little afraid to go there…

Amelia on August 6, 2009 at 9:42 pm Reply

I really love your blog..it always makes me smile and/or chuckle. And YES – a girl can dream!! :)

leta joy on August 6, 2009 at 10:00 pm Reply

You are NOT alone.

Sara @ Our Best Bites on August 6, 2009 at 11:35 pm Reply

Yum, what an interesting flavor combo. I'm putting this one in my "to-make" file!

It's All Good on August 7, 2009 at 7:47 am Reply

kiwi and chicken? interesting, must try that!

Debby Kaye on August 7, 2009 at 7:54 pm Reply

I love some kiwi and I love some chicken! It sounds delicious and I'm hoping my little ones will love it packed in their lunch! Thanks for a another great school lunch idea! You are the best!

vanessa on August 9, 2009 at 10:21 pm Reply

oh the ponytail I was just downing on myself for the fact that my hair has been in a ponytail since…well it is just sad, I need to go get my hair cut then for about a month it stays down and after that back up!! :)

Phoenix on August 10, 2009 at 1:18 pm Reply

AWESOME! PS my hair is in a ponytail about 99.9 % of the time. Eeek…

Carey on August 12, 2009 at 7:42 pm Reply

Can't believe I follow your blog for its delicious taste on life, and find myself commenting for the first time about…hair! Just got mine chopped last weekend. Said "see-ya-later" SAHM-'do; good-bye pony tail, barrettes, springy clips, and headbands. The chop was as nearly as liberating and fun as reading your incredible stories and recipes. Perhaps something to consider!

Diabollical on November 3, 2012 at 7:54 am Reply

Yummy!! I checked this recipe up coz was looking for something to use my excess of Kiwi food :D Will definitely try this recipe. Your Kwi-Cocunut cupcakes look delicious too!!