Creamy Kiwi and Coconut Milk Cupcakes

When ZESPRI Kiwi announced a recipe contest
a few months back, I was ecstatic. Not only do I adore kiwifruit, but I welcome opportunities to experiment with unique ingredients. I find it perfectly delightsome to discover the just.right pairing of spices and mix-ins which make a recipe wow worthy. After all, you just never know when you might create a recipe that WOWs your seven senses.
Education Moment.
Seven Senses:
Look
Listen
Sniff
Taste
Touch
Lick
Sigh

With eternally supportive son at my side, we baked a batch of trial kiwi cupcakes.
“They look good and fluffy,” he said.
We cooled and frosted and festooned them with black sesame seeds and Ferrero Raffaello chocolates.
Son giggled, “Listen, Mom! Those things are seriously cool!”
Then, we sniffed, tasted, touched, and licked them.
The little darlings seriously shocked our senses.
Somehow in the baking process, the kiwi had taken on an aromatic citrus flavor, soaked up the sweetness of sugar, and softened the cake batter with sheer fruity moistness.
They were good. They were cool. We were greatly contented.
The only thing left to do was let out a great, happy sigh.
And so we did.
Ahhhhhhhhh.

Creamy Kiwi and Coconut Milk Cupcakes
Zespri Kiwi have surprised me. Whoever would have imagined their versatility. Whether eating them fresh out of your palm, adding them to chicken salad, or baking them into cupcakes, Zespri Kiwifruit add a subtle hint of flavor to breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus. But, let’s not to forget dessert. These kiwi cupcakes are loaded with lots of fresh fruit, but kids little and large are sure to gobble them right in their mouth. Z kiwi is Z best! Thanks, ZESPRI.
1 stick butter
2 eggs
1 egg white
1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder*
1/2 tsp. white vinegar
1 1/2 c. flour
1/3 c. coconut milk
pinch allspice
2 Zespri kiwi, diced for batter PLUS
5 kiwi’s for edging, if desired
In a large bowl, use an electric beater to cream butter, eggs and sugar. Add remaining ingredients, except for fruit. Beat just until combined. Fold in diced kiwifruit. Spoon into prepared cupcake wrappers.
{To line edge of cupcakes with kiwi, generously grease and flour LARGE muffin tins. Place thinly sliced kiwi pieces around edge of cups. Gently spoon batter into tins, carefully assuring the kiwi slices stay around the edges.}
Bake LARGE cupcakes in an oven heated to 350 degrees for 21-24 minutes.
Bake REGULAR-SIZED cupcakes in at 350 degrees for 18-21 minutes.
Once cooled, frost with coconut milk buttercream.
Makes approx. 9 large cupcakes, 18 regular.
Coconut Milk Buttercream
1 stick butter, softened
6 cups powdered sugar
1/3 c. coconut milk
1/2 tsp. clear vanilla or coconut flavoring
In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, vanilla, and half of the needed coconut milk.
Add coconut milk a little at a time until a spreadable, by firm frosting in achieved.
Don’t let the frosting become to runny. A thick, creamy consistency will allow you to pipe a round, hunky blop of frosting atop each cupcake, making it all-the-more more kiwi-esque once decorated and done.

25 Responses to “Creamy Kiwi and Coconut Milk Cupcakes”

1. Phantomkid says:

Wow mom this is the best ever! Great Great Job!

2. The Cooking Photographer says:

You have got to be the coolest human on the planet! These are amazing!

3. apparentlyjessy says:

What a gorgeous invention cupcake! I love the ones with the kiwi fruit slices on the sides! Fantastic!

4. John McLay says:

Sweetheart, you are a creative GENIUS! Well done! I can't wait to sink my teeth into one of these!

5. {Katie Lane} says:

This is very cool. I bet it tastes fabulous :)

6. TERI REES WANG says:

Ziss iz very interezzzting…

7. Amanda says:

These are awesome! You are so ridiculously creative with coming up with your own recipes and techniques. The kiwis around the side of the cupcakes really impressed me.

Your son is lukcy to be able to bake along!

8. Sabrina @ Twiggles and Trunks says:

soooooooo going to serve these at Bears next tea party!

9. Chablis says:

That has got to be one of the most creative cupcakes I have EVER seen, and girl, I get around!

I gotta try that recipe soon, thanks for sharing whats in your crazy/creative mind!

10. Emily@The Experimentariam says:

What a fantastic and unique combination! You have a great blog and I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

11. Jaime says:

Delightsome. Wish I had some.
    I love your little photo montage there, too, Brooke. Well done.

12. JennyMac says:

in.love. with this recipe. Will dig in deep to your website. SO glad I found it today.

13. Noodle says:

These look and sound yummy! (See, I'm already using two of my senses, sort of!)
    Good luck in the recipe contest! Can we vote?

14. Noodle says:

PS I KNEW I should pick up coconut milk today! I never get to shop, and for good reason. My husband thinks the things I pick out are crazy. Now I can show him!

15. Peabody says:

You just don't see kiwi used in cupcakes much. What a great idea!

16. Sara says:

GORGEOUS! These are so cute and look delicious! :)

17. Susan from Food Blogga says:

These kiwi cupcakes are positively delightful. So apparently is your blog. Glad I found you!

18. Wendy says:

Those cupcakes are gorgeous, and so unique! They sound delicious too. I've never been sorrier that I'm allergic to kiwis, if not I would be making them ASAP.

19. Laura says:

Just found your blog and tried this recipe. it was too die for. i took them to a youth activity for girls and they couldn't get enought. thanks – i am forever a follower

20. Elle says:

These look delicious and I plan on making them with my brand new kitchenaid arriving this evening :)

I do have a question though. I know kiwis are a watery fruit, but would it be possible to puree them rather than simply dicing them?

Thanks!

21. Live.Love.Eat says:

Wow, it's so gorgeous. I love all the colors. What program do you use for the fonts and texts on your pics?

22. Allison says:

I baked these tonight, and to be honest I was a little disappointed. I don’t know if I did something wrong, but I tried to place the kiwis around the side of the cupcakes and when they came out of the oven, the kiwis were very soggy and fell off of my cakes. Additionally, the cake itself wasn’t as great as I expected. However the frosting was fantastic. Extremely delicious, though I did not use 6 whole cups of sugar. Next time I think I might just make the frosting with a different cupcake.

• Brooke says:

Allison- Making the cupcakes with the Kiwi around the edges does take a hefty greasing and flouring of your muffin tin. I’m sorry to hear yours fell off of the cupcakes. I didn’t have such a problem at all, but I do believe a huge part of the trick is to cut your kiwi slices exceptionally thin. Fingers crossed this recipe keeps performing for others like it did in my kitchen! Sorry they fell flat in yours. :(

23. Stacy Coale says:

Your cupcakes are lovely! I am confused about the frosting – as it looks like you have three different frostings in your photos. Also, what did you use for the little black seeds atop the cupcakes? Black sesame seeds?

• Brooke says:

The frosting is all the same, just tinted different colors! The little black seeds are indeed sesame seeds!

Happy Baking!