Welcome Home Cookies

Have you ever tried to tell your children
how much you love them?

Sometimes, when the stars are high in the navy sky
and a peaceful breeze is whispering in my children’s rooms, I do.
The first attempt generally begins
In language common to any child old enough to cradle a hand of cards
and wise enough to know how to sneak the Old Maid to their little sister:
The Contest.
“I love you more than a thousand midnights on the moon.”
“I love you deeper than a featherbed caught in a quicksand lake.”
“I love you as big as a banana sucking on helium.”
The kids never win these competitions.
They giggle, then give up, always content to leave me victorious.
And, leave me, they do.
Asking for blanket to be tucked around chin.
Answering the evening invitation from feather lashes
waving them into dreamland.
Tucked into the corner of their twin-sized beds, head resting on hand,
I watch as smiling cheeks slacken–then soften–into cherubic rounds.
I realize winning the bedtime contest of words wasn’t enough.
They can’t possibly know how much
how much
how much
I love them.
So, I try again in the morning with: The Squish.
It’s always accompanied with wine-pressed words:
“OooooohIIIIIIIIIILlllllloooooovvvvveeeeeYyyyyyooooouuuuu.”
My arms squash around warm breakfast in bellies,
snuggle tightly the carefully buttoned school clothes.
I press fingers to home-cut hair,
Pink nails I clipped on Sunday afternoon.
My lips kiss their fresh-bathed faces, Q-tipped ears.
The kids often eye-roll through these sessions.
They squirm until they leave my consuming grasp.
And, leave me they do.
Asking to hold my hand as we walk out the door.
Answering the taskmaster bell which rings in the new school year.
Walking the quiet path home, fingers still warm from their little hands, I realize
No matter what they learn in first or fourth grade
No matter how good their teachers try
They’ll never know how much
how much
how much
I love them.
Until they try tucking to sleep,
watching backpacks bob away to school,
waiting with a plate of warm cookies to welcome home
their own children.
And then, try to tell them how much.

Welcome Home Cookies
If you can bake a lot of love into anything, you can most certainly do it with this recipe. I created these cookies to be made big. No…massive. No–GIGANTUOUS. A hunk of dough will spread into perfectly fat cookie rounds, crisp on the outside with a center full of chocolate and just a bit of gooeyness. While I’m sure chocolate chips could do, I think a big cookie should most certainly be graced by monstrously large chips, so used gigantor candy melts to obtain the size, color, and boom-pop flavor that will have you wishing they were small enough to eat a second helping. What could possibly make these cookies any better, you ask? Why, the fact that they are made using only whole wheat flour. I simply can’t think of a better way to welcome your sweet ones home from their first week of school.

3 sticks butter
2 1/2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. butter & nut flavoring
(or butter flavoring AND a few drops of almond, if desired)
1 tsp. real vanilla
1 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 pound candy wafers
Cream together butter and brown sugar and eggs until supremely creamy. Add all other ingredients, including all but 1/2 cup of the candy wafers. (I HIGHLY reccommend mixing dark chocolate wafers with milk and colored to keep these from being overly sweet.) Once well mixed, 1/4 cup of dough into a ball. Press remaining wafers on the outside of each ball of dough to give your cooked cookies a nice, colorful final appearance. Bake at 375 degrees for 11-13 minutes.

21 Responses to “Welcome Home Cookies”

Anonymous on August 18, 2009 at 9:31 am Reply

Holy Cow—–I just found your blog, recommended by another. This is wonderful stuff and made me think ack to my kids (many moons ago) and to my grand kids, now
    Thanks
    gramps

Candice Noel & Brickton John on August 18, 2009 at 10:59 am Reply

Beautiful. !!!.

Candice Noel & Brickton John on August 18, 2009 at 10:59 am Reply

Beautiful. !!!.

Candice Noel & Brickton John on August 18, 2009 at 10:59 am Reply

Beautiful. !!!.

Candice Noel & Brickton John on August 18, 2009 at 10:59 am Reply

Beautiful. !!!.

Rachel on August 18, 2009 at 12:55 pm Reply

I love it… what a lovely post!

Eva on August 18, 2009 at 12:59 pm Reply

Brilliant.
    I love this post.

Noodle on August 18, 2009 at 2:45 pm Reply

You have a beautifully light touch with words. And great recipes!

Jessica on August 18, 2009 at 3:34 pm Reply

Hi I love your blog! I was wondering if on your labels you could put cookie, cupcake, main dish etc. I love all your recipes but when I come back and find one I have to scroll through all the posts to find it. I am only asking because I LOVE all your stuff. Thanks so Much

apparentlyjessy on August 18, 2009 at 5:01 pm Reply

You write so beautifully! I always smile when I read your posts :)
    The welcome home cookies would be so fun to come home from school to! I wish we had candy melts in Australia.

The Cooking Photographer on August 18, 2009 at 7:11 pm Reply

How cool. I love this one. It makes my heart happy. :)

Sabrina @ Twiggles and Trunks on August 18, 2009 at 7:55 pm Reply

i LOVE baking with wheat flour. i'll be making these soon. i'll thinking i'll send these with my Mr. Man when he leaves for deployment. maybe red, white & blue melts…

Jennifer on August 18, 2009 at 8:10 pm Reply

This post is just wonderful!!!! :) And those cookies…yum yum yum! so cute!

A Little Of A Lot on August 18, 2009 at 8:51 pm Reply

Awwww

Jennifer on August 18, 2009 at 9:33 pm Reply

I am de-lurking to say thank you! I love, love, love this post. I am sending my oldest to kindergarten this year and needed this post. Now instead of crying the whole time she is at school, I can make these cookies for her.

Lone Acorn on August 18, 2009 at 10:03 pm Reply

These colorful cookies look great. I am sure your kids must have loved them. The best thing about these cookies is that they are so healthy. Wheat flour is very nutritious.

Felicia on August 19, 2009 at 2:49 pm Reply

That was simply beautiful. It made me teary and now I want to go home and make my kid some of those cookies.
    I play that game too.
    I love you more than Popeye loves spinach.
    I love you more than peanut butter loves jelly.
    I love you more than Australians love vegemite.
    Great, great post!

Little Miss Baker on August 19, 2009 at 9:26 pm Reply

Those look incredible. What exactly are the colored pieces though??? Do tell :)

mosey along on August 20, 2009 at 5:38 pm Reply

You have a talent for writing as well as for cooking, Miss Brooke. That was sheer loveliness.

Live.Love.Eat on August 23, 2009 at 12:48 pm Reply

This was absolutely adorable!!!!!!!!!!! Your blog has come so far in a short time, huh?! It was only a matter of time before people would notice the deliciousness around here. So cute. My son starts kindergarten tomorrow, WOW!

Sorry I have been a stranger. Less blogging time the past 4 months.

lyndsay on September 13, 2009 at 3:44 pm Reply

that is one giant honking picture. i love the size comparison so people know those are HUGE COOKIES. i don't have kids yet… i can't even imagine having my own, knowing how much i adore my niece and nephew!!

great post!