Burnt Marshmallow S’mores

One word.
Loooooongweekend.
{ahhhhhhhhhhh.}
How are you celebrating?

Burnt Marshmallow S’mores

If Labor Day at your house means an end-of-summer barbecue, an afternoon spent sitting in lawnchairs under the waning yellow sun, a day of children and neighbors and the warmth of friends, then this recipe is for you. If, of course, you have no such plans but desire them with all your heart, this recipe is for you, too. Lay out a spread of these snappy s’mores and you’ve got a party. Better yet, you’ve not only accomplished dessert but you’ve offered an activity that will keep the kiddies entertained for at least six minutes. Rather than actually cooking the marshmallows over an open flame (truly, isn’t it the WORST when you fry your marshmallow into a blacked nubbin? Then, it always drops into the dirt. Wahhh.) this recipe offers a fonduesque approach rather than a fire pit frenzy. Needed ingredients are inexpensive and easy to come by, preparation is minimal, assembly easy enough for even the loopiest toddler, and clean-up is super sinchy because it entails simply licking fingers and brushing crumbs onto the floor for the picnic ants to carry away.

1 King-Sized Milk-Chocolate Hershey’s Bar

1 King-Sized Hershey’s Cookies & Cream Bar

1 Bag Large marshmallows

10-12 Oreo Cookies, chocolate cream centers, finely crushed

6 very thin wooden dowels cut into several 10 inch sticks

In two small, separate bowls, melt chocolate bars. Dip one half of a marshmallow in the melted cookies and cream bowl. Turn it upsidedown and spear it onto the tip of a dowel. Dip the other half of the marshmallow into the bowl of melted milk chocolate, the press firmly into the Oreo crumbs. Eat immediately or allow chocolate to harden before serving.

Party Hint: I found it useful to set out several handfuls of dowels so the kids had ample opportunity to dip the Burnt Marshmallow’s. Our entire lot of helpers were so overcome with the making of the treats that they didn’t want to eat their creations right away. The old glass bottles you see in the photo’s provided a perfect upright storage for the kids to stash completed marshmallows until the dipping was complete. Once all the chocolate was used up and many of the marshmallows had cooled slightly, they were plucked merrily from the bottles and snacked heartily upon.

Congratulations to the following winners of the Black Cherry Cupcake giveaway
(and most tremendous thanks to all of you who left comments. Have I told you how I adore you? Well…I do.)
If you’re named below, please contact me ASAP with your mailing address and we’ll get you your prizes prontissimo. My email address: mclayfamily@msn.com
Winner of the WithLoveBakery cupcake dozen: BJHBHBB from The Sively Seven
Winners of the CherryDot Necklaces:
Diana from Arts & Crofts
Miss Amy O from Amy Bakes & Sews
Anne from Adventures of a Freckle Faced Girl

15 Responses to “Burnt Marshmallow S’mores”

It's All Good on September 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm Reply

Finally, a recipe I won't screw up! Im def trying this one out! Delish!

Jillian on September 3, 2009 at 10:33 pm Reply

You amaze me! I hope I have as much energy and creativity when I am a mom.

mariarose on September 4, 2009 at 12:22 am Reply

Um, one word…NOM!
    x

Tuggie on September 4, 2009 at 9:42 am Reply

hmmm not a bad idea. That really does sound like a cool thing to do with kids. I'll have to remember this for my nieces next birthday. Good work.

Liesl on September 4, 2009 at 10:16 am Reply

Oh these sound fantastic!!! They would be a great party treat for the fall!! :o)

Melody on September 4, 2009 at 12:30 pm Reply

Where did you get that Pepsi bottle from? I love this idea.

Jennifer on September 4, 2009 at 2:14 pm Reply

Now this is my kind of laid-back treat! YUM! Happy Long weekend!

ConversationsWithACupcake on September 4, 2009 at 2:52 pm Reply

Melody-
    Aren't those Pepsi jars fun? They were 59 cents from our local Goodwill. I found them in the "antique glassware" section. I hope you can find some, too!
    ~Brooke

Angela [YourEverydayMama] on September 4, 2009 at 7:59 pm Reply

Love them, they are just too adorable!

apparentlyjessy on September 5, 2009 at 10:10 pm Reply

What a fabulously fun idea! I bet they would be a decadently sweet mouthful!

Teashop Girl on September 6, 2009 at 10:22 pm Reply

Yum. I just ate a brownie, but now I want one of these!

Monica on September 7, 2009 at 7:06 am Reply

What fun this must have been! You can't go wrong with marshmellows, chocolate and oreos! Down right sinful I say!!! I have to work today – Boo but as soon as I get home we're going to get the party started. These marshmellow treats would be a nice addition! Thanks as always for your wonderfully fun ideas!

Room design studio on September 7, 2009 at 12:22 pm Reply

hey hey hey!! since I started following you yesterday.. I am still hanging around your blog! checking out older posts.. I just adore it! thanks a LOT for stopping by mine .. your note made my day!

Amanda on September 8, 2009 at 8:13 pm Reply

These are great! What a sassy way to enjoy marshmallows without the fire. :)

Kim on September 11, 2009 at 4:01 pm Reply

Brooke! You always amaze me! This is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. Love the "presentation" of them too!!

Kim :)