Caramel Apple Popcorn Balls

LOST:
Self Control
Appears to have dissappeared somewhere between the arrival of the mail on Tuesday
{when baked goods fanatic sis, Holly, mailed me a box of Whoopie Pies all the way from her Newport Beach Susie Cakes. However do I choose which to love more? Sis or Susie Cakes. It’s such a conundrum.}

…and Wednesday…

{when Krandy’s Sweet Co. delivered a box of Kristi’s Triple Threat Cookies, stuft in the centre with pure milk chocolate, gooey caramel, and macadamia nuts. Um, Hello.)

therefore making it nearly impossible to view my pedicure-denied toesies through my trusty hide-the-chub Hippie T.

(God bless the BoHo style.)

If Self Control is found running rampant in the bakery aisles or vacationing in a bowl of shortening,
please retain with a leash and kennel until I contact you.
I’ve decided I may not need it back.

Caramel Apple Popcorn Balls

I’m feeling so wondrously inspired by apples as of late. Perhaps it’s because the eating of a few would be very good for my system. All these baked goods arriving in the mail are more than one girls fat cells can take. So, I jaunted to our Farmer’s Market this week and filled a basket full of apples red and apples green. Pink ladies, Gala’s, Jonathons, Delicious. Looking at all those apples make me think of carameled apples. And carameled apples made me think of caramel popcorn. And, before you know it, these pretty little caramel-apple popcorn balls emerged from a pot. Be warned, there’s not a real apple in the recipe, but the apple candy flavoring makes them so tremendously good, your dentist might agree to count them as a serving of fruit.

You’ll find this caramel is the best kind for making popcorn balls, soft and pliable it’s easy to bite into, but cools firm enough to hold the balls together. Oh, and it’s good. So good. Enjoy! Enjoy!

1 stick butter

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 c. light corn syrup

1/4 c. sweetened condensed milk

1/4 tsp. apple flavoring oil

1/2 tsp. Wilton no-flavor red coloring paste

Combine all ingredients (except apple flavoring) in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Once boiling, cook for 2 1/2 minutes (just until soft-ball stage). Remove from heat, add flavoring & coloring, then allow to cool slightly.

Pour caramel over 6-8 cups of fresh popped popcorn. If using an air-popper, 1/3 cup of kernels makes the perfect sized batch of popped corn. Save your teeth: Don’t forget to remove any unpopped seeds. When caramel is poured over popcorn, stir until well coated, then begin forming into large, well-packed balls. Stick a wooden dowel into the center of each popcorn ball. (To decorate wooden dowels, simply hot-glue ribbons and a paper leaf on before poking into popcorn balls). If you still know where your self-control is, be sure to cool & set completed balls before serving.

I need some serious fessing up.
How do you find your self-control when it’s gone. GONE. GONE?!
Please. Share your secrets lest I absorb all the worlds dimples into the back of my heiny, therefore ridding our good universe of their polka-dotted darlingness.
However would Mario Lopez and John Travolta’s chin thereafter make a living?!

37 Responses to “Caramel Apple Popcorn Balls”

Natalie on September 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm Reply

It's hard and and unsatisfying for me to practice self control. I prefer to exercise to keep up with how much I eat!

Oh and the caramel apple popcorn balls are so adorable! I bet they taste fantastic.

Jeannetta on September 20, 2009 at 11:11 pm Reply

Self control…I'll have to get back to you :)
    The popcorn balls however…

It's All Good on September 20, 2009 at 11:18 pm Reply

i just go crazy til my body shuts down in a coma like nature I usually call "sleep", than I wake up and go crazy all over again….

Snooky doodle on September 20, 2009 at 11:59 pm Reply

wow these look so nice! I doubt if I can resist these :) yummy Holding one of these will make feel like a child again :)

The Woman on September 21, 2009 at 1:03 am Reply

These look so cute! And on a side-note, I'm beginnning to believe that self-control is a myth! HAHAHA.

Jas. on September 21, 2009 at 2:47 am Reply

I agree with Natalie – this is why I pay so much for a gym membership so that I can eat frosting the rest of the time!

shaz on September 21, 2009 at 5:23 am Reply

Hi there,

I saw these too-too cute "apples" on Foodgawker and followed them here. I love your blog!

And self control? What's that?

Kristi on September 21, 2009 at 7:55 am Reply

I'm thinking I might just have to try those caramel apples! Cute and they look tasty!!
    Thanks for the shout out for krandy's sweet co.!! Love it!

tallmisto on September 21, 2009 at 8:52 am Reply

These are amazing. Self control eludes me when it comes to rice pudding, anything with caramel, and tea.

Where does one find apple flavoring oil?

Valerie on September 21, 2009 at 10:03 am Reply

These popcorn balls look so cute. They'd be perfect at the upcoming bake sale I'm in charge of. And I'm drooling over those whoppie pies!!!!

The Cooking Photographer on September 21, 2009 at 12:10 pm Reply

Omgosh!!!! Those are amazing! Apple oil in a popcorn ball? And they are so beautiful!

I am once again in awe.

And I have another recipe to use forever!

Thank-you.

Chic Cookies on September 21, 2009 at 4:11 pm Reply

These are crazy cute! I linked on my edible crafts column (ediblecrafts.craftgossip.com) Crazy cute!

natesgirl on September 21, 2009 at 7:03 pm Reply

my self control I find usually comes back once the last cookie is eaten so I speed up the process.. :-)

I love this post BTW I want to try this with my girls!

natesgirl on September 21, 2009 at 7:03 pm Reply

I love this post BTW I want to try this with my girls!

HoneyB on September 21, 2009 at 7:20 pm Reply

Love these!

I get my self control back when I've eaten myself sick. ;-)

Dorothy on September 21, 2009 at 9:44 pm Reply

Self control? Who needs it? :) The caramel apple pops look amazing! It's a good thing I have to wear braces for another 6-9 months, or else I'd be making (and eating!) the whole batch for myself.

number17cherrytreelane on September 21, 2009 at 11:01 pm Reply

those just look ridiculously good.
    The end.

Lovey on September 22, 2009 at 8:04 am Reply

These look too cute to eat, but I think I could be persuaded. :P

We're going to try them for our Friday night treat. Thanks for sharing the recipe and great pictures!

Peggy on September 22, 2009 at 8:41 am Reply

These are so sweet!
    I love them and I hope you don't mind I posted to my blog!
    Thanks
    matternu@aol.com

Peggy on September 22, 2009 at 8:56 am Reply

Oops, I am asking if it is ok to post to my blog.I gave you credit!!
    I don't want to unless its ok
    Thanks
    Peggy

Jeannette on September 22, 2009 at 9:09 am Reply

self control… pah. its called working out. grab those kiddos and go for a bike ride everyday, or an after dinner walk with the family. :)

Ashley on September 22, 2009 at 12:36 pm Reply

i stare at the back of my legs and bum and some how self control shows up. of course if pie is anywhere in the vicinity, self control cowers in the corner.

Kei on September 22, 2009 at 5:33 pm Reply

These look ridiculously good. Popcorn balls remind me so much of my childhood. I can't wait to make these! I love your blog. Just discovered it a few weeks ago. It's such a pleasure to read. Don't stop doing what you do!

Ariel on September 23, 2009 at 5:14 am Reply

too cute! I can make those balls for my daughter ladybug birthday party….can I add some chocolate smary or some thinghs other black…?!

50s Housewife on September 23, 2009 at 8:31 am Reply

Self control…well I'll let you know when I find it. :)

The popcorn balls look delish and so cute!

Lisa on September 23, 2009 at 2:42 pm Reply

The popcorn balls are beautiful! I recently wrote a post on my blog about how I was giving up dieting forever and that I was going to simply stick with good healthy living. I realized I can do that, so long as every once in a while, I have a special treat. The treats become special since I don't have them every day (but I do have them every week), and I really look forward to them. Try it — you won't want treats all of the time becuase then they lose their "specialness." And, yes, I think I just made up a new word. :o)

megan on September 24, 2009 at 12:02 pm Reply

Yummy looking popcorn balls…one of my favorite snacks. I will have to make these for my next party.

The Deming Four on September 25, 2009 at 9:50 am Reply

HI – I have a question regarding your puffed pancakes – how much batter do you spoon in the mugs? half full or 2/3s full?
    I'd love to make them this weekend – could you email me a response? Thank you so much!!! LOOOVE your site!
    demingglobal@yahoo.com
    or
    demingtwins.blogspot.com

Scott, Tauna and Camille on September 27, 2009 at 1:26 pm Reply

I have a theory: Your 'self-control' came and kidnapped my 'self-control' and they've run off together somewhere, laughing all the way! Apparently they got really, really tired of trying to control someone (especially in my case) that was totally out of control! If they every show up, I promise to wrangle yours and bring it back. However, I'm not keeping my hopes up!

Love your blog! Keep it coming. Thank you! Aloha!

Tauna,
    Maui, HI

oneordinaryday on October 5, 2009 at 4:45 pm Reply

Oh my gosh, these are so stinkin' cute.

BECKY on October 8, 2009 at 10:29 am Reply

Oh I'm way excited to follow your blog! I just noticed on those pretty feet are JERUSALEM CRUISERS!! I'll have you know that Jenn and I picked those out for you. :) (That's how I know your husband.) It'll be fun to get to know you now! :)

Sarah Groundwater on October 13, 2009 at 9:15 am Reply

These are adorable! My grandmother taught me to make popcorn balls – I thought only prairie girls ate them. Have you tried the Honey Crisp apple yet? GO get one NOW! They are a bit hard to find but the search is worth it.

Lovey on October 14, 2009 at 6:46 pm Reply

For anyone who lives in a small town like me, procuring apple flavoring oil is not the easiest task. I kept forgetting to order it online, and then happened to be in Hobby Lobby and stumbled upon it! They had about a dozen different flavors so I am stocked up with some basics now! We can finally make these yummy-looking treats!!!

Lovey on October 30, 2009 at 6:06 pm Reply

Finally got around to making these tonight. They rock! You rock! Happy Halloween!

Angela Taylor on March 29, 2011 at 8:08 pm Reply

I would really love to know how much these apple caramel balls are and would really like to know how many i could order at a time. You can reach me via e-mail acmric@hotmail.com or phone 601-738-5087 please leave a message and I’ll return call

Karima on December 1, 2012 at 10:51 pm Reply

You have to research your area city codes ,and if they tell you to remvoe it ,then you have to call an specialized company that does removal .or if your budget is limited then i would recommend to apply a liquid protection membrane and then on top of it drywall ,but if you do this you are still living in a hazardous environment and over time can affect your health .good luck

37. Pingback: ΦΑΝΤΑΣΤΙΚΕΣ ΙΔΕΕΣ ΜΕ ΠΟΠ ΚΟΡΝ! | SuperMomRocks