Notice: Undefined variable: show_stats in /home/cheekyki/public_html/wp-content/plugins/stats/stats.php on line 1384

Butterscotch Pecan Pie for One

Years back
{and I do mean years back…Though, oddly it feels just like yesterday}
I tried three times to turn the first pages of Jan Karon’s “At Home in Mitford
and for whatever reason, just couldn’t sink myself into its leaves.
However, being prompted by a friend to try one-more-time,
I opened the book and gave it another go.
I was happily hooked.
This post has very little to do with that book.
Except that one of it’s principal characters always asks his love interest with starry-eyes,
“What don’t you love?”
To prove her lack of perfection,
his amor could cleverly rattle off a list of things she didn’t love.
I adored that about her.
It seemed to me anyone who can breeze through a witty list of things they don’t love
was exactly the sort of person I’d like to grow into.
Inspired, I began keeping a list of things I don’t love. For instance:
Brown spotted bananas.
Burnt orange crayons and turtlenecks.
Cleaning dried toothpaste off the living room carpet.
Of course, if one is spending anytime writing down her dislikes,
she’d be wickedly ill-served to not also list her loves.
So, I began writing my finest adorations. Among them:
A rank of hand-written letters, enveloped and addressed and waiting their mission to deliver glad tidings via metal mailboxes.
Standing in a silvery tidepool under a glowing moon.
Tigers Blood Snowcones.
Fresh-folded laundry placed into empty drawers.
Gloomy autumn days with a fire burning fat logs as I cradle a worn book in hand.
Shakespeare read aloud.
School uniforms.
Pincurls.
The crackle of music on a record player.
Giggling into phone lines with a sisters voice my ear.
Surprise deliveries set upon the doorsteps of dear friends.
Tell me of your list. What don’t you love?
What do you adore?
Butterscotch Pecan Pie for One
{baked as a three-pack}
As we were walking into Walmart the other day, our Korean exchange student said, “you always say you hate Walmart, but then we always go here.” I sighed, tried to explain how there is no where else in our fair city that offered perusal through a craft section and candy aisle at eleven in the p.m. on Tuesday night. On this night, in particular, KwanYong needed Pepsi (we don’t drink it in our house) and I needed pink ribbon and a bag of socks. I also found the above little beauties. A 3-pack of mini pie & tart foils, with lids for $1.49. Couldn’t they just inspire you a million times over? This weekend, they inspired a batch of autumn baking for our flu-stricken friends. I thought a simple pie full of protein and butterscotch might make for healthy bodies so put together three pretty pies, wrapped them up for delivery, and let sugar therapy work it’s wonders. Will let you know if we’ve found the H1N1 cure all.
2 eggs
3 egg yolks
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1 pre-made pie crust
Using a medium sized bowl, cut three circles from the pie crust. Press circles into mini-pie tins. In a large bowl, mix remaining ingredients. Pour evenly into crusts, place on a cookie sheet, and bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 17-19 minutes. Top of crust will be nicely browned, and centers just set when ready to come out of oven. Allow to cook completely before covering with lids & delivering to deserving darlings (or eating all for yourself. One for breakfast. One for Lunch. One for snack before a healthy dinner.)

Whooty Whee! Our Winner is Thee.
Three cheers {and a red-hot apron} for
SHERRY MC
the winner of the Dear Jane apron giveaway.
And, thank you to each of you for writing such nice things.
Another thing I love? You, for writing such nice things.
Sherry, please contact me via email to claim thy winnings.
Toodles & Pips.
(that ones for you, Emma)

21 Responses to “Butterscotch Pecan Pie for One”

1. John McLay says:

You never cease to amaze me, sweetheart. Great post! And the new look of your blog/website is OUTSTANDING! I love it. I'm so proud of you. Keep up the great work…

and I'll keep exercising like mad so I don't end up weighing 700 lbs. (It's tough living with such an amazing and ambitious cook!)

I love you, cheeky B.

2. Chablis says:

I love you! Ah, your blog is so refreshing and delightful!

The mini tins are inspiring, thanks!

3. Federica says:

complimenti!! bellissisimo il tuo blog e le tue ricette!

4. Tina says:

Your creativity is amazing and inspiring! I love your site, and the new sister sites too!

5. Eliana says:

These mini treasures look absolutely incredible.

6. Sue Sparks says:

I don't love:People riding their bike on the WRONG side of the road…coming toward me(on my bike)-yikes! What I adore:my grandchildren!!!

You have inspired me to make mini pies!!! :)

7. Tanya and Colin says:

Those are too cute!!!

8. Kim says:

Love your blog, even though I'm not such a great cook! Is there a certain type of pre-made pie crust you would recommend?

9. Marti says:

You're going to make the Triple Layer Orange Marmalade Cake soon, aren't you?

Brooke, it's so funny that I clicked on your blog (from Foodgawker) at this particular time. You'll have to check out mine… it's got a mention of Jan Karon's books, too. I'm so glad to see another fan. :)

10. Fahrenheit 350° says:

What an adorable little message from your hubby!

11. Becky says:

I find that where we are in life can dictate whether we can get into a particular book or not. I tried Love in a Time of Cholera a few times but never got past the first 10 pages. I tried it again a couple of years later and was consumed by it!

Do not love: someone calling my phone number repeatedly trying to send a fax.

Love: after spending a year of trying and a few months of fertility treatments, I finally get to say "I'm pregnant" out loud!

12. Marti says:

So what do you think, Brooke? Aren't we just the happiest little Jan Karon-reading-reference-making bloggers ever?

:) Marti

13. Jamica says:

Things I adore: reading your recipes at 10:30pm on an empty stomach (and by "empty" I mean "haven't eaten for at least 2 1/2 hours.")

Things I don't love: people who don't appreciate a good mustache when they see one! :)

14. Live.Love.Eat says:

Wow, you certainly have been a busy blogger this past year. Awesome makeover although it looked beautiful before too.

You're just building and building it all up huh? Love the pic of you up top and to the right. Too cute, and fun and whimsical as well. Good luck with everything.

15. Lesley says:

I LOVE The Mitford Series….all the characters are fabulous….and your lists are fabulous…pin-curls…something I haven't thought of in years…brought back some fond memories…may have to put that in my list too….

16. Julie says:

I don't love pumpkin pie. I don't. But I adore you already!

17. Scarehaircare says:

I don't love: solicitation fliers, little boy's freshly washed socks that still look dirty, and red Sharpie Picasso wall art.

I love: "Thinking of you" notes and treats (giving and receiving), rain on the window, Jane Austen, and handmade Christmas ornaments.

18. Kjirsten Brynn says:

I'm so excited to make this tonight! You're my inspiration :)

19. Anatomy of A Dinner Party says:

Hi Miss Brooke! Making these for a dinner party tomorrow night – but there are 4 of us! Do you think the filling will stretch?

20. Fancy ;-) says:

First off, I absolutely ADORE this site. Thanks to your hubby for telling FaceBook to check it out. Secondly, do you know of any good recipes for a blueberry-pumpkin pie or a pumpkin-blueberry pie, whichever way people want to say it? Blumpkin pie, pumpkin-berry pie, potay-ta, potah-ta.

21. Bassetts says:

What I don't love:

- Continents,
    - My wretched bro choosing to move away from the delights of Colorado Springs,
    - Only meeting you for 2 weeks

What I do love:
    -You and your scrummy family!