Butter-Butter Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting

My 11-year-old son sobbed intermittently throughout today.

When we arrived home from church, he buried his face in the wide cushions of the red floral sofa and wept.

After a lunch of warm bacon, spinach & swiss salad (accompanied by a kid-friendly side of ramen noodles), he pulled a bright-blue Snuggie around his shoulders and cried like a baby until he fell asleep.

As our feet fell into the kitchen, returning home from a brisk trip to the dog park, where we’d gut-giggled as wild Chihuahua, Yoda, ran circles around dogs forty-and-a-half times his size, tears lolled their way down the waning baby-fat in Andrew’s adolescent cheeks.

He’s not usually a crier, this one. But today, Grandma and Papa returned home, after a whirlwind Thanksgiving visit wherein we all joined together at the hips, ate early breakfasts at Gunther Toody’s, played lazy games on the living room carpet, roller-skated our bootay’s around a scuffed-up rink as YMCA blared through silver speakers, huddled our warm bodies together and watched a few fantastic flicks.

All of that fullness, all of those wonderful minutes and moments and memories filled us up until we nearly bursted with happiness. But, rather than burst, Grandma and Papa kissed heads and climbed in the car and trekked home, leaving us sick to our stomachs with sweetness and sorrow, the slow deflation that comes after one has flown happy and high.

So, the eleven-year-old cried. Sobbed. Wept like a baby. And, we all ate our dinner with slightly long faces.

I realized today, when Grandma and Papa left, that Happy Thanksgiving was going with them. No more could I greet neighbors, friends, strangers with that merry autumn greeting. The very thought of losing the oranges and browns and yellows of pumpkin and gravy and grandparent hugs was all so bittersweet and sorrowful that I, too, had a pit in my stomach and a tear stuck in the corner of my eye for a good part of today’s afternoon and evening.

‘Til I remembered tonight, that Happy Thanksgiving’ was just the beginning. The precursor, the talisman, the usherer inner of a fuller season. One of green and gold. Reds and blues. Merry and mistletoes. Carols and cookies and Christmas pajama’s.

What a relief to realize today’s tearful goodbye’s brought with them a new greeting.

Happy Holidays.

Happy. Happy.

Butter Butter Cookies
These cookies are my own version of a cookie mentioned sometime ago by my neighbor. Her mother used to own a bakery and her special there was a melt-in-your-mouth butter cookie with cinnamon frosting. I think you’ll find they are, indeed, special. Especially easy. Especially yummy. Especially addictive. Enjoy!

1 cup butter, softened
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
In a medium bowl, beat all ingredients together. Turn dough onto a piece of parchment paper. Cover with a second piece of parchment and roll dough out until 1/4 inch thick, spray lightly with water if dough begins to dry out. Cut into desired shapes using a small cookie cutter. Bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly browned. Transfer warm cookies to a cooling rack, frost immediately with White Cinnamon Icing.

White Cinnamon Icing
1/2 c. melted butter
1/4 c. heavy whipping cream
1-1 1/2 lb. powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. cinnamon extract
In a small bowl, combine all ingredients until a smooth, slightly runny icing is formed. Frost warm cookies with warm frosting. Cool. Indulge.

However was your Thanksgiving?

29 Responses to “Butter-Butter Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting”

1. Philip, Melissa, & Summer says:

Those look yummy. I must make them. I am not much of a baker, but maybe these could work out.

2. Philip, Melissa, & Summer says:

3. Philip, Melissa, & Summer says:

4. Philip, Melissa, & Summer says:

5. Memória says:

Woah. Those cookies look dreamy. I must try these ASAP, and then I'll start my diet hehe.

6. Emily Hill says:

These look so classy! Sometimes simple is perfection. I can't wait to try these–they may be on our holiday plates for neighbors this year. Thanks for sharing! :)

7. Ginny says:

I want your plates. :)

8. screwdestiny says:

Mmm, I can almost taste the buttery meltiness.

My Thanksgiving was swell. My dad fasted. My (annoying) brother was absent. My food turned out well. Yay.

9. Lovey says:

These sound great and are on our To-Bake List for the week. We're wondering if you can explain the purpose of the cornstarch? What does it do for the recipe?

Thanks! :)

10. Pilar - Lechuza says:

Theese cookies look so yummmy….gotta bake them for Christmas days.
    regards from Spain

11. DellaRae says:

I love to bake cookies for the holidays..I must add these to my list. They sound delightful!

12. Married to a med student - Marissa Nicole says:

Oh wow, those look wonderful!

13. Lisa says:

Being in Australia we don't celebrate Thanksgiving – but we certainly have our fill of turkey at Christmas.
    Those cookies look wonderful – I will definitely have to give them a try :)

14. Laraine Eddington says:

Wow, these cookies are the first thing that tempted me since Thanksgiving overload. I'm heading to Safeway for cinnamon extract.

15. Cheryl G. says:

What a sweet sweet story. You have a great way of telling it!
    Those cookies look sweet sweet too!

16. SweetThingsTO says:

Thanks for the story! And the cookie recipe! Happy Holidays!

17. Becki Madsen says:

Oh, sweet Andrew. Mckay does the exact thing, he misses his grandparents so terribly when they leave! Isn't it nice to know our pre-teens still have that sensitive heart? Your food looks delightful!

18. Lucy says:

"Mmm" to these cookies! They are stunning and look delicious :D

19. oneordinaryday says:

Aw. The same thing happens to my 10 year old when we have to leave my parents' house. He just misses them so much it breaks our hearts. How wonderful that you were all together for Thanksgiving.

I love the cookies ~ esp. that lovely frosting!! What a great flavor.

20. Geezees Geezees Custom Canvas Art says:

What a sweet post!
    Those cookies look so yummy i can't stand it!

21. Jamica says:

I have to say that I thought driving away from family (or having family drive away from you) would get easier as I matured. I think it gets worse. Don't tell Andrew. Maybe the cookies will help my own lonely heart. Or maybe they wont help… but they can't hurt, right?!

22. Jenny says:

Oh, your post made me sad. So hard to watch people leave. Awesome recipe. And totally, totally cute blog!

23. The Blonde Duck says:

I'm sorry he cried! But these cookies look wonderful!

24. apparentlyjessy says:

I remember that sad feeling after people left after holiday get-togethers. As a child I couldn't understand why we couldn't celebrate for longer.
    I love the look and sound of these cookies, white cinnamon icing…perfection!

25. Sarah says:

I'm making these cookies right now (2nd batch in the oven so I've already had a few)

So easy to make, with such a different but elegant taste to them! Thanks!

26. Cristie says:

Your cookies are extreamly tempting! So happy to have been posted in the same article as you in Today's Mama!

27. heather says:

I made these yummy yummy cookies as part of my cookie plates to give away! SO yummy I LOVE the cinnamon frosting and the cookies ARE melt in your mouth! Thanks for sharing. They were SO easy as well. I will be adding this to my collection! Thanks for sharing!

28. melanie says:

What am I doing wrong? My dough is so sticky and soft that it clings to the parchment and is impossible to work with. I just put it in the fridge to harden a little. I hope that helps.

29. Tidbits says:

I found thecookies very dry__iwould not make again.I did use butter.Although the icing was good, Iwould use the icingon a coffee cake.