Brown-Sugar Vanilla Cupcakes

I was sort of feeling like not blogging today.

We’ve a Christmas movie on the Netflix cue.

Fleece slippers set upon my toes.

And no school tomorrow.

No! School!

Yeee-hip-a-rooey!

But, I promised you vanilla cupcakes, didn’t I?

Yea, The finest.

And, shoot if I’m not going to give them to you.

Because, after all, you’ve been on the nice list this year.

Though you ought be warned.

Eating these cupcakes may make you feel a bit naughty.

(Two Sticks of Butter!)

(Two sticks!)

Oh, heck. Being nice is sooo overrated.

My Cheekiest Brown-Sugar Vanilla Cupcakes
Having created the perfect chocolate party cupcake, I figured it was high time to turn to vanilla. And, whoo-mami! This recipe of mine will quickly become one of your staples. A sweet and tasty cake which rises just round enough at the top to support a happy mound of buttery buttercream. Not to mention, it makes enough to feed a classroom full of Christmas revelers, or a neighborhood awaiting plates of your baked goodies. Feel free to double the recipe below, if you need even more cupcakes. The batter, being rather sturdy can hold up to doubling, tripling, and finger-licking.

2 sticks butter
2 c. brown sugar
4 eggs
2/3 c. milk
1 tsp. baking powder
A pinch of salt
3 c. flour
3 tsp. vanilla
Two drops each of maple, almond & lemon flavorings to add that extra kick of flavor (optional)

In a large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar and eggs. Add remaining ingredients and beat just until batter is well mixed. (*If you are NOT a high altitude baker, be sure to add an additional 1/4 tsp. of baking powder*). Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes, or just until the tops of the cupcakes have set. Remove from oven and cool. Makes 24 cupcakes

Frost with my Addictable Buttercream, which you can find HERE.

Dig In. Enjoy. Eat Merry.

21 Responses to “Brown-Sugar Vanilla Cupcakes”

Sherrie on December 21, 2009 at 7:12 am Reply

I am so jealous school is out for you. I am a teacher and I have two more days. :( The cupcakes look delish!

Marti on December 21, 2009 at 9:56 am Reply

Brooke, could you make them again after the first of the year, please? I feel sure you'll have a surplus at that time and be able to send them my way!

Live.Love.Eat on December 21, 2009 at 3:13 pm Reply

As always, adorable and delish!!!!!

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas!!!!

Snooky doodle on December 21, 2009 at 3:19 pm Reply

these look so tempting. What the Heck it s Christmas I can have one or two :)

The Gregersons on December 22, 2009 at 2:17 am Reply

Brooke,
    I am completely in love with your blog and your recipes. I just made these cuppies and they are to die for. They worked out perfectly even in Hawaii (trying to get used to low altitude cooking)and my neighbors will all be getting these for their Christmas goodies. Thanks for sharing your talents with us, both with baking and also with your witty writing. I added a link to your blog from mine, raving all about it.

Anonymous on December 22, 2009 at 12:30 pm Reply

Okay, I LOVE your site, your photos are beautiful, your presentation divine… I have even tried a couple of your recipes (the pretzels were YUM!). But, I simply have to object to a post about beautiful, scrumptious, brown-sugar vanilla cupcakes being followed by an ad for the "Fat Burning Furnace". Am I the only one who is thrown by this? The last thing I want to see when envisioning myself baking, decorating and then eating cupcakes is a obese cartoon in a bikini. Other than that, your fabulous!

Sandi on December 22, 2009 at 1:05 pm Reply

Love your blog. Discovered it when I googled "bundt cakes"… how random is that? The cupcakes are "dahlin'".. and I love your blogging tips.

Tongue-N-Cheeky on December 23, 2009 at 7:22 am Reply

Anon-

Isn't that fat burning furnace ad awful? I tell ya, those Google guys can deliver us the world, but somehow they can't keep a nappy looking cartoon away from blogsites with delectable food pictures.

God Bless advertising. :)

~Brooke

SweetThingsTO on December 23, 2009 at 9:47 am Reply

Thank you for sharing! Love your pics! Have a wonderful holiday!

John & Melanie on December 23, 2009 at 11:37 am Reply

Can't wait to try them. LOVE the buttercream frosting. People gush over it everytime I use it-Thanks for sharing a little taste of heaven with the rest of us!

John & Melanie on December 23, 2009 at 11:37 am Reply

John & Melanie on December 23, 2009 at 11:37 am Reply

Jamica on December 23, 2009 at 12:47 pm Reply

I love this post! The pics are SO pretty! The blues and greens… the peacock feather…. the oh-so- yummy cupcakes… it all made me feel happy and calm. (which is not the state of my home right now, so I really appreciate the escape you provide me!) Love you!

La Petite Gallery on December 26, 2009 at 4:14 pm Reply

I am sure the goodies were
    gone in an hour.
    Hope Christmas went well.
    Enjoy the weekend.
    Yvonne

Donna on January 2, 2010 at 10:36 pm Reply

I made these for New Year's and everybody loved them! I love your cupcake recipes, they are all delicious!

Crystal Sauceda-Dodson on April 9, 2010 at 4:21 am Reply

THANK YOU for sharing this!! I just found this and am dying to try it this weekend. Can you tell me how much in cups 2 sticks of butter are? Thanks!

Mandy on September 7, 2011 at 4:16 pm Reply

I love this recipe! I haven’t made it as cupcakes yet, but made it with brown sugar swiss meringue buttercream, and now it’s cooling so I can fill it with dulce de leche. Thanks so much for sharing it!

18. Pingback: Shamrock Cupcakes for St. Patrick’s Day « Little House In The Mountains

Alex / AnimeGirl on September 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm Reply

Hello!
    I’m trying this one just now and I don’t know about taste yet but it’s the prettiest batter I’ve done in a while. Loved the color. And when I tried the batter it was quite refreshing. I hope the turn out lovely.

Thanks for the recipe

Acashia on October 20, 2014 at 9:37 am Reply

Hi, am I looking for a brown sugar cake recipe to use for my baby shower. I love your recipe but can I use this in a normal round or square cake pan?

Acashia on October 20, 2014 at 9:43 am Reply

The link to your buttercream is not working, would love to see it.