Oatmeal: Four Ways

Have you ever noticed that subtle transformation which occurs during the dawning of each New Year?
When goals long abandoned are rediscovered, dusted, shined up and recommitted to.
When drudgeried trips to the gym become somehow exhilirating again.
When healthy eating becomes a glorious rebaptism of sugar-logged tastbuds, rather than an untasty task.
When the belief that you can become the girl you always thought you were floats to the top of your mind and awaits your careful attention.
When old becomes new. And, New Becomes You.
And You believe {once again} that all things might just be possible.
They really are, you know.

If you are rededicating yourself to a new year of healthy eating, please join me in a ceremonial dusting-off of the hearty breakfast standby which is oatmeal. Simple. Hearty. And, when topped with the right ingredients, gorgeously versatile. Here are a few of the divinest sugar-free concoctions I love to create for me and my brood of New Years revelers.
Since my sister, Holly, converted me to Coach’s Oats, I’ve never gone back to regular or quick oats, though either type will do with any of the following recipes. Cook the desired amount of oatmeal according to package directions, though be sure to add a dash of salt and a smidgen of honey to the cooking pot. Then, top with any of the following favorites.
Vanilla Applesauce
In a medium bowl, combine 1/2 c. of applesauce and 2 T. dry vanilla pudding mix. Whisk until well blended. Spoon atop prepared oatmeal, sprinkle with cinnamon. Spoon by the mouthful & Enjoy!

Oatmeal Cookie
What looks like a basic bowl of buttered oats is actually a bowl full of surprisingly rich flavor!
To 2 cups of prepared oatmeal, add:
1/2 tsp. cinnamon extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
a pat of pure butter
drizzle of pure maple syrup
Stir extracts into prepared oatmeal. Top with butter & maple syrup.

Tropicolada

My very favorite bowl of oatmeal . I dream about it being served to me on the beaches of Fiji. Or, you know, Prince Edward Island.

Stire 1/ 2 tsp. coconut extract into prepared oatmeal. Top with mango, banana slices & shredded coconut. Drizzle with pure maple syrup and coconut milk.

Moroccan Spiced Fruits
Use the moments while your oatmeal is bubbling in a pot to create this sweet and spicy topping for your oatmeal. I adore digging into a bowl of this oatmeal and spooning each bite with the perfect amount of mapled nuts and fruit to make the topping last until the very last lick.
1/4 c. pure maple syrup
1/4 c. dried cherries
1/4 c. dried apricots, diced
1 T. diced dates (optional)
1/4 c. walnuts or pecans, chopped
1/2 tsp. Garam Masala
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Place all ingredients in a small saucepan. Stir over medium-high heat until maple syrup is sizzling and fruit has mostly soaked it in. Spoon mixture on a piece of parchment paper. Spread out and allow to cool and harden slightly. Serve over a bowl of prepared oatmeal. Drizzle with honey if more sweetness is desired.
Hoping your Christmas was full of color and POP.
Wishing you a New Year full of wonder and delight.
Happy. Happy.

14 Responses to “Oatmeal: Four Ways”

Rose on December 28, 2009 at 12:31 am Reply

It is certainly time to bring on the healthier eating again, Christmas always = overindulgence = extra kilos!
    I love the look of the Applesauce vanilla and the moroccan spiced fruit sounds like the perfect winter treat.

Rose

DellaRae on December 28, 2009 at 12:35 am Reply

I love oatmeal anyway you fix it…and you are so right, it is good for you!

screwdestiny on December 28, 2009 at 12:55 am Reply

I love steel-cut oats for my oatmeal? Is that what you use? My simple recipe is a tiny bit of brown sugar, butter, and lots of raisins. Mmmmm. Your ideas look great though and I'll have to try some.

Sherrie on December 28, 2009 at 8:33 am Reply

I do not eat oatmeal, but those recipes are tempting me to give it a try.

Caroline of Salsa Pie on December 28, 2009 at 8:52 am Reply

You totally made me want a bowl of oatmeal this morning! These look super delish! Happy New Year to you and yours! :)

Marti on December 28, 2009 at 12:56 pm Reply

Wow, when I clicked on here, I thought perhaps it would be raspberry, blueberry, grape and grass, but these flavors are a LOT better.

I've seen Coach's Oats in Costco but never indulged. What do you find to be the taste difference, Brooke?

Teresa on December 28, 2009 at 1:02 pm Reply

OOoooh!
    I am adoring that Moroccan Spiced Oatmeal!
    And I adore the funky colored oatmeal!
    So cute!
    I have a post on oatmeal I thought I would share!
    XXOOXX

Tony and Julee Huy on December 28, 2009 at 1:05 pm Reply

We eat oatmeal about once a week and I have been looking for ways to liven it up! Thanks!

Coach's Oats on December 28, 2009 at 6:13 pm Reply

The recipes look great! Thanks for being a fan :) Please let us know if you have any questions

Tongue-N-Cheeky on December 29, 2009 at 11:51 pm Reply

Marti-

Ever so glad you asked, my dear! Coaches Oats are all the texture and taste of steel-cut oats with a significantly lessened cooking time. I honestly can't bear to consider a bowl of traditional oatmeal now that I've got Coach's. Totally worth the pick-up at Costco.

And, I nearly choked on a grape when I read your comment about the potential flavors. You are HIlarious!

Love Ya!

wearethree on December 30, 2009 at 4:09 pm Reply

I love this post!! We eat oatmeal everyday and discovering Coaches Oats was the second most life changing even of my life…first being the birth of my daughter. We like to stir in a little peanut butter for an extra nutty taste. Can't wait to try some of your recipes too! YUM YUM!!

Debby Kaye on December 30, 2009 at 4:37 pm Reply

I'm fascinated now with these Coach's Oats! I'll have to look next time I'm in Costco, I definitely need some healthy breakfast ideas to replace the leftover Christmas cookies I've been eating! :) Can't wait to try the tropical variety!

travelingdomestic on December 31, 2009 at 4:40 pm Reply

I just found your blog when looking through the submissions for the homies. All I can say is if your way of doing oatmeal gives me half the energy you seem to have, I am going to have to give this a try! Love it.

Jelli Bean on January 13, 2010 at 9:40 am Reply

Most mornings, I start my day with a version of oatmeal most similar to your oatmeal cookie, or make a special mix of one banana, a tablespoon of peanut butter, and a bit of cinnamon, water, and milk. Mmm!