Fortune Cookies

Fortune Is….
Having the transmission on your car go out right before Christmas
and having Don the mechanic say, “Remember. God is watching over you.”
Somehow, the expression of that sentiment made it easier to let go.
Having pennies left in the bank account
and receiving the following email from the hubby’s former mission president:
You may recall that I once repeated a comment made by Elder Holland at a Mission President’s Training in Europe when he said, “ the worst day in the history of mankind was followed three days later by the greatest day since the creation.” Then he said, “tell your missionaries when suffering and afflictions abound that there is a miracle just three days away”. I know that there is a miracle just three days away for your family.
Somehow, those words–which I’d never before heard–offered a resounding reminder of all I needed to hear.
Having one-of-those-days from dawn to dusk: floors sticky with spilled juice, hair wilted just-so, the arrival of {yet another} bad batch of mail
and catching Conan O’Briens classy farewell just before bedtime.
Somehow–for just a moment–the comedian tickled my heart, rather than my funny bone. Bless Him.
Having one more chance to start the New Year off right
{Chinese New Year is arriving Feb. 14. Hurrah!}
May we each re-meet 2010 with faith, hope, and optimism anew!

Vanilla-Ginger Fortune Cookies
If you’ve never made fortune cookies from scratch, then you are missing out on an experience which is equal parts dessert and activity. A thin batter is spread onto a cookie sheet, then baked for 5 minutes. Once removed from the oven, you’ve got less than ten seconds to toss in a custom-created fortune (oh! the fun you can have with these!), fold, twist and pinch the cookies together before they begin to harden. Thin, wafer-like little cookies result. Perhaps you, like I, will just oogle them and smile. Don’t you just sometimes amaze yourself with your funny little kitchen creations?
3 egg whites
3/4 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. white flour
2 T. butter
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla
1 drop Doterra Ginger Essential Oil (optional)
Mix all ingredients together until very smooth. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons onto a cookie sheet (covered in parchment is best), spread with a flat knife until you’ve created very thin circles of batter. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for about 5 minutes, or just until the edges turn brown. Remove from the oven and immediately put a fortune in the center of each cookie. Fold in half, twist backward, pinch gently in the center to close. Allow to cool, uncovered for 1-2 hours. Cookies will harden as they air dry.

We saved a cookie for you.
Cracked it open to find your fortune. What did it say? What did it say?!
Oh, whoops. I think this one is MY fortune.
Here’s another, hand picked just for you…
You will be famus?!
Why, Congratulations! I promise to become your biggest fan!
In the meantime, I’ve got to figure out what to do about the other fortunes daughter Alyssa snuck into our cookies…
You will get a baby sister.
You will get a baby brother.
You will get a cat.
You will get a dog.
You will get $9 million bucks.
All of which would make for a marvelously fortunate {if entirely exhausting} year, indeed.

31 Responses to “Fortune Cookies”

Marti on January 24, 2010 at 11:17 pm Reply

Ah ha! There you are!

I have *ALWAYS* wanted to try making my own fortune cookies… I love them so wonderfully simple and vanilla.

The only thing better could be to add a little ginger.

Not so sure about the "famus" thing. Oh well! Great blog BROOKE!!

(By the way, the verification word is "trucknog." Was that Alyssa again??)

Ginny on January 24, 2010 at 11:17 pm Reply

Ha ha! "You will be poor"…
    Kids are precious aren't they? If sometimes brutally honest and eerily correct!

ang :o) on January 24, 2010 at 11:48 pm Reply

Love the blog. Just thought I'd let you know that Chinese new year is actually february 14 this year.

screwdestiny on January 25, 2010 at 1:46 am Reply

Well, "You will be poor" is the only fortune I've ever gotten that's actually been true. So maybe the kid's on to something. ;)

I've always wanted to make my own fortune cookies.

Federica on January 25, 2010 at 4:05 am Reply

che belle queste cialde!

Natasha on January 25, 2010 at 6:40 am Reply

Love your photo story it's fab! I make fortune cookies for a friend who runs ante-natal classes. At the end of each course she gives the parents a bag of cookies with parenting tips in instead of fortunes!

The Deming Four on January 25, 2010 at 6:42 am Reply

love it – love your spunk!

Kristi on January 25, 2010 at 8:30 am Reply

Love you guys! Hope things turn your way!!

Andrew & Vanessa and kids on January 25, 2010 at 9:49 am Reply

Adorable! I would have NEVER made my own fortune cookies, but suddenly it seems like the perfect thing to do with my family tonight! Love you, Brooke.
    P.S. Your dish is so perfect for the occasion!

Andrew & Vanessa and kids on January 25, 2010 at 9:49 am Reply

P.S. Your dish is so perfect for the occasion!

Andrew & Vanessa and kids on January 25, 2010 at 9:49 am Reply

P.S. Your dish is so perfect for the occasion!

Becki Madsen on January 25, 2010 at 12:52 pm Reply

Love this post my dear, you are amazing and things will look up for you! We love you guys, thanks for sharing your amazing talent!

Tom and Mel on January 25, 2010 at 3:04 pm Reply

Brooke, I miss you seeing you! You are one of the realest, most talented, heart warming, uplifting people! What are you doing Wed. evening? Want to come over? I know, you're a busy woman…but, I miss you! :-) let me know!

Mel

(oh and I'm doing a workout Thurs. at 5:15 p.m. at Shireen's…)

SweetThingsTO on January 26, 2010 at 9:04 am Reply

This is awesome! I want to make these! Thanks again for making me laugh!

Irenicineri on January 26, 2010 at 4:48 pm Reply

This is fabulous! I've been looking for a good dessert recipe for an upcoming Valentine's Day/Chinese New Year Party, and I'm definitely going to try these. The ginger addition is a great idea!

Thanks!

Geosomin on January 27, 2010 at 2:34 pm Reply

Hee. We made these one halloween with morbid fortunes in them. They were quite the hit, although sometimes the fortunes stuck to the cookie. do you use special paper for the fortunes or jsut any old paper?

Skipping Skones on January 27, 2010 at 7:26 pm Reply

I never eat these things LOL. But, that doesn't stop me from opening it to see my fortune. We are funny about them when we go to the Chinese restaurant. The one we get is ours you can trade and you dont pick up one that isnt yours LOL. Yours look really delicious. Love the pictures and the fortunes LOL.

betchacanteatjustone on January 27, 2010 at 8:28 pm Reply

Super awesome! I work in a preschool and we are planning a chinese new year theme for February and I was just recently looking at a recipe in my old company's coming cookbook for fortune cookies. Fantastic photos, I will be giving these a try very soon for sure :)

Tongue-N-Cheeky on January 27, 2010 at 9:07 pm Reply

Geosomin-
    We used plain old writing paper and it worked beautifully. No sticking at all. My best guess would be that the butter aids in that?

And…THANKS everyone else for your sweet comments and lovely ideas! Morbid fortunes for All Hallows Day? Preschool treats?! Yes! Yes! These lovely little gems would be perfect for all such events.

Best of baking!
    ~Brooke

Eliana on January 28, 2010 at 11:46 am Reply

Homemade fortunte cookies are the absolute best. And I really like the flavor combo you have going here. They look great.

Mhel on January 30, 2010 at 7:28 am Reply

Great blog!! I love your vintage pin-up theme…. thanks for sharing your fortune cookie recipe. I could make one for parties…

Happy SITS Sharefest day!!

jennie.newland on January 30, 2010 at 8:38 am Reply

Ive always wondered how those were made! Thanks for sharing! Is that you in the photos on the header and sidebar? I love it!
    Dropping by from SITS have a great weekend!

courtneyb on January 30, 2010 at 10:16 pm Reply

I was also touched by Conan. You can tell he's real, genuine, grateful and classy. I'm always amazed how people can touch our lives at the perfect time and give us that little boost we need.

cavemancooking on January 31, 2010 at 3:03 am Reply

Thanks, Brooke. Never made my own Fortune Cookies before. And I bet these taste infinitely better than what come with the Home Delivery order, too!

Tami (Pixeltrash) on February 1, 2010 at 8:56 pm Reply

SOOO cute! Love the fortunes handwritten. Priceless!

J♥M on February 2, 2010 at 9:02 am Reply

You've got talent! I've tried this recipe 3 times and failed everytime! I love the handwritten fortunes!

Maria on February 3, 2010 at 10:25 am Reply

How fun. They look perfect!

Jamica on February 9, 2010 at 11:16 pm Reply

HONESTLY, BROOKE! You will never cease to amaze! HOMEMADE FORTUNE COOKIES?! Very fun. So many uses.

Sarah on February 12, 2010 at 1:46 pm Reply

I must have done something wrong… my batter came out super runny and ran all over the parchment paper. Any ideas? (I'm really looking forward to using these for Valentine's Day! :0))

Tongue-N-Cheeky on February 12, 2010 at 4:18 pm Reply

Sarah-

Oh, yikes. I'm so sorry they didn't work the first time around. Add a little more flour to the batter. It should definitely be spoon-able. (See my photo's for the initial texture of the "plop" of batter onto the cookie sheet.)

Good luck!

~Brooke

Flirting with Flour on March 21, 2010 at 3:54 pm Reply

Thats totally funny… I have a post called "poor unfortunate cookies" because mine were not quite a success :p But I'll try them again sometime. Anyways, Please come visit soon – I have an award waiting for you :)