Valentine Peppermint Creme Cookies

I made you a Valentine.

It’s just the sort of valentine every Valentine should get.
It’s heart-shaped. It’s chocolate.
A cocoa-peppermint wafer cookie, with a bite of peppermint buttercream, all covered in milk chocolate, to be exact.
There was just one problem.

My hunky valentine got a hold of them before I could take pretty photos. He gobbled the lot of them up.

Leaving today’s blog photos rather unsexy.
Then again, who needs a sexy Valentines Day cookie when you’ve got the rhyming alternative?
{do you get where I’m going with this? Good. I was hoping to keep it subtle.}

I’m just sayin’.

Happy Valentines Day to mine. To yours.

To YOU!

Valentine Peppermint Creme Cookies
I find chocolate and peppermint the ultimate, crave-worthy combination. If I could eat Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies every morning with a bowl of oatmeal, I would. If I could eat a mint brownie for dinner every night, I would. If I could sleep in a bucket of Junior Mints, I would. If I could build a swimming pool of….oh heck, you get the idea. These little cookies I conjured take the chocolate/peppermint flavor combination to a whole new level. A crisp cocoa-peppermint wafer cookie, topped with a heaping mound of buttermint fondant, sealed together with a milk chocolate kiss. Except for the part where you’ll never want any other sort of cookie, thereby leaving Girl Scouts everywhere without a job, this truly is the ultimate Valentines day treat. Happy Love.
Cocoa Wafer Cookies
3 T. butter
1 egg white
1/4 c. brown sugar
pinch of Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. cocoa powder
1/2 c. flour (plus 1/4 c.)
2 drops pure peppermint oil
Combine all ingredients together. Add flour as needed, until dough is roll-able and not sticky at all. Roll verrrry thin. Cut into desired shapes. Bake at 325 for 4-7 minutes, or until cookies have firmed and browned slightly around edges. Remove from oven and cool.
Peppermint Buttercream Layer
2 c. powdered sugar
4 T. melted butter
2-3 drops pure peppermint oil
1/2 tsp. heavy whipping cream
Mix together until it becomes thick and easy to roll with a rolling pin. Roll until about 1/4″ thick. Cut into desired shape. Place atop cooled cookies. Place cookies into melted chocolate CANDIQUIK, spoon chocolate atop until fully covered. Allow to dry on a piece of parchment paper. Makes about 30 cookies.

What plans have you cooked up for your Valentine?

28 Responses to “Valentine Peppermint Creme Cookies”

screwdestiny on February 8, 2010 at 4:17 am Reply

Not all photos need to be sexy. I still thought those were nice. Thanks for another great recipe!

simplysandi on February 8, 2010 at 1:04 pm Reply

Those cookies look delicious. Can't wait to make them

Kimpossible on February 8, 2010 at 3:10 pm Reply

Adorable! I'd say those are some pretty sexy photos too…but maybe that's just because I like food so much…

Mansi on February 8, 2010 at 3:30 pm Reply

these look awesome! and they'd be perfect for my Valentine day giveaway! would you care to send them in for the event?

Sue Sparks on February 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm Reply

All I have to say is…YUM!!!

Karly on February 9, 2010 at 11:24 am Reply

These sound amazing! And your photos are gorgeous, as always!

John McLay on February 9, 2010 at 11:59 am Reply

Sweetheart,

Thank you for the online valentine. You’re so sweet, that I’ll forgive you for posting that goofy picture of me.

And, as far as the cookies, I apologize [again] for eating too many. I think they might be the BEST cookies you’ve ever made. They were SO delicious. When do you plan on making them again? :)

I love you. Happy Valentine’s Day.

Always yours,
    John

Florrie on February 9, 2010 at 1:55 pm Reply

Brooke…..those cookies look absolutely DIVINE. And….speaking as someone who has once slept in a bucket of Junior Mints ( I LOVE them that much..) you should try it sometime. It's the BEST (And by sleeping in a bucket of Junior Mints I mean EATING…those two words are interchangeable, right?) Oh, and also….if you want to make me a batch of these cookies and ship them off to my house (ever- so- sweetly) I would gladly sleep in a bucket of them too. Hope you and your fam have a fabulous V-Day! We love you guys!!!

Jen on February 9, 2010 at 2:57 pm Reply

I love these! Your recipes rock – Thanks!!

jeannie on February 9, 2010 at 5:52 pm Reply

These cookies look divine. I am curious, do you have a button with a html code that that will automatically take us to yours?

amy on February 9, 2010 at 8:43 pm Reply

How did you get somewhere in short sleeves in February. I'm sitting inside going into the 3rd day of no school with snow piling up to give us 8-14 more inches on top of the 15-17 we got on Saturday. It's snowy, Mrs. mint cookie. Those sassy sweets, by the by, look finger lickin'.

Jamica on February 9, 2010 at 10:57 pm Reply

I know you don't usually make any recipe more than once… you have too many other fresh idea goin' on in that noggin of yours to dwell on the past…. but I'm thinking that these might be worth repeating! Chocolate and peppermint- the combo wins me over ever time!

marit on February 10, 2010 at 1:16 pm Reply

Very beautiful pictures, and attractive cookies. I have a question about the peppermint cream-
    do I have to but all cream ingridiens together and whisk until thick?
    Do I have to keep these cookies in fridge? How long they stay fresh?
    I little bit afraid that the peppermint cream is too stodgy and buttery. what do you think?

Skipping Skones on February 10, 2010 at 9:40 pm Reply

You guys looks so in love. Love the cookies too! Happy valentines day to you too!

skippingskones.blogspot.com

Christine on February 11, 2010 at 10:40 am Reply

These look so yummy! Can't wait to give them a try!

simplysandi on February 11, 2010 at 4:11 pm Reply

So, we are having a snow day here in Dallas – so I decided to make these cookies. O.M.G. They are rock. My pics with a link to your site will be on my blog on Saturday.

L.R. M-J on February 12, 2010 at 7:24 am Reply

And so I learn I am not alone in my Peppermint addiction…Merci! There isn't much we trouble visitors to bring when they come visit us in France…but my York Peppermint Patties remain a constant request…because as good as the land of food (France) is to us, nothing gives me 'the sensation' quite like the YPP ;) Junior Mints tame the raging peppermint cravings & the Dutch peppermint candies we get in the Netherlands are amazing…I haven't found pure peppermint oil, but will make your delectable cookies w/the peppermint extract I do have b/c so far everything else I've tried from your blog has turned out phenomenally & as you've promised! As we say here…Bon Saint Valentin :)

HealthJunkie on February 12, 2010 at 10:58 am Reply

Plans for my Valentine involve CUPCAKES!

Jen on February 12, 2010 at 1:24 pm Reply

Hi Brooke!
    Ask John if he remembers back to the long-ago day when his *favorite* and
    not-allowed-to-eat-anything sign language teacher actually did have one treat she could eat…ask him…and then ask him what it was she was allowed to have and have him post it on her FB page! lol
    Love ya! Jen

Anne on February 12, 2010 at 3:45 pm Reply

These cookies look great. I can't wait to try them. If a person did not have pure peppermint oil could she use peppermint extract?

Tongue-N-Cheeky on February 12, 2010 at 4:13 pm Reply

Anne: Yes! Peppermint extract would work just fine! Enjoy!

Marit: For the buttercream, just use a fork and clean hands to mix it together. Our cookies stayed fresh outside of the fridge for 4 days. If you put them in the fridge, I imagine they'd be good for at least a week. Freezer? Probably 1-2 months.
    I've typed the recipe exactly as I created it, which is the very way I made it in my own kitchen. The buttercream topping is neither stodgy nor buttery. It's divine. A perfect topping for this delightsome cookie! Enjoy!

~Brooke

Elle on February 12, 2010 at 10:10 pm Reply

Dearest Brooke . . . .
    I've been following your blog for . . . well . . . EVER . . . & have waited for the perfect opportunity to strike up conversation with you, but it fails me every time . . . three times this week alone . . perhaps you feel me waiting for the moment . . . like a kid waiting to double dutch jumprope ??

Anyway . . . how odd that peppermint and chocolate be my segue. A dear combination to my very own heart . . . that's three things we've in common . . . (but who's counting) . . .

These are fan-tabulous . . . . cheers . . .

sarah on March 4, 2010 at 2:42 pm Reply

i have been dreaming about these cookies ever since i read this post and i finally got round to making them today….they are heaven thanks for great recipe…was going to give them to a friend for her birthday tomorrow but i may just eat them all cos they are so good!!

Miss Candiquik on January 5, 2011 at 2:40 pm Reply

So I just made these…and um yeah. Yum.
    The first bit was "mmm", then chew, chew, "MMM!", omg!
    Needless to say. They're gone.

Gina @ Skinnytaste on February 9, 2011 at 9:19 am Reply

What an adorable looking couple you are :)

My plans involve the kids so it won't be too romantic ;)

26. Pingback: Valentine's Day Recipes | RecipeGirl.com

27. Pingback: Valentine Peppermint Creme Cookies from Cheeky Kitchen « « TodaysMama TodaysMama

28. Pingback: Fresh Food Friday:50 Valentine's Day Treat Recipes | Six Sisters' Stuff