Perfect Whole Wheat Pancakes

Ten pounds, girls.
That’s how many I’ve packed on in the 15 months since I started this blog.
I’ve posted 23 original cupcake recipes,
incredible, moist, mouthwatering creations
like my Brown Sugar Vanilla Cupcakes and Perfect Party Cupcakes
and even Black Cherry Suprise Cupcakes.
Following closely behind, are 22 cheekilicious cookies.
Butter-Butter Cookies with Cinnamon Frosting, gigantic Welcome Home Cookies,
colorful Merry & Bright Button Cookies.
So far, there’ve been 21 snacks, 11 cakes, and 7 recipes made with pomegranates.
And, I’ve tasted a bite (or eleven) of every.single.one.
So, this weekend, when I pulled the light, lacy cotton shirts of springtime
from the back of my wardrobe, then tried to tuck them clevery around
the bulging belly lumps and thickly upper arms of my blogging-baketress figure.
Well.
I scowled at myself in the mirror, stomped my foot ferociously,
then, ran promptly downstairs to make a batch of peanut-butter bars.
{Note to self: Running burns calories. Peanut butter bars do not.
Note to reader: said recipe arriving soon.}
It was an attempt, if you will, to use the final stores
of white flour and white sugar left in my pantry.
An attempt, if you will, that was muy delicioso.
Because, starting today, right now, a this here moment in time,
a certain someone you know will no longer be licking frosting from her pudgy little fingers.
She will no longer be picking at the gorgeous remains of chocolate cake,
or sleeping on a bed of coconut dreams and pink-iced muffins.
I vow, instead, to fill my innards with the stuff of health.
More whole wheat, less butter, lots of natural flavor.
And, what else? What else and I forgetting?
Do send me your weight-loss secrets.
I’m quite terrible at this sort of thing.
Though, I’m very, very good at this sort of thing.
Heaven rest my confectioners sugar bowl.
{Heaven rest my cheeky cheeks.}

Banana Whole Wheat Pancakes
with Sugared Coconut Milk Syrup

Pancakes are nice. But thick, fluffy whole wheat pancakes, resplendent with the crunch of toasted oats and the soft flavor of bananas? Well, that’s just pure pancake paradise. Soaked in a rich, warm coconut sauce and topped with the tang of fresh kiwi’s, you’ll be certain you’ve died and moved to Fiji.
1 banana
1 T. butter, softened
1/2 c. Coach’s Oats
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. whole, soy or almond milk
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
In a large bowl, mash banana well with fork. Mix in remaining ingredients with an electric mixer until well incorporated. Spoon onto hot griddle.
Sugared Coconut Milk Syrup
Simple. Delectable. Perfect.
2 c. coconut milk
1 c. sugar
In a medium saucepan, stir together over medium-high heat until sugar is fully dissolved. Pour over Banana Whole Wheat pancakes, dinner rolls, or slices of pineapple cake. Enjoy!

27 Responses to “Perfect Whole Wheat Pancakes”

Becki Madsen on March 21, 2010 at 7:56 pm Reply

This looks mouth watering delicious! My weight loss secret? Eat less and exercise more, it stinks because food is so good but it works. And always eat a carb and a protein at every meal. The combination gives you great energy while burning fat! OHH and remember you get one free day to pig out to your hears content! Love ya my dear friend!

Amanda on March 21, 2010 at 8:01 pm Reply

These look great. Kiwi and coconut on top? Such an unexpected twist. I want to try that.

Donna on March 21, 2010 at 8:44 pm Reply

Please don't stop!!! 15 pounds is all? That's not much. Whenever I make one of your recipes I get incredible rave reviews. What will I do without more recipes? I need your cupcakes!

If you're serious about weight loss, keep your delicious treat making to the weekends. Then all week long you can eat healthy and splurge on Sat and Sun.

Sinclair on March 21, 2010 at 9:34 pm Reply

I am not a health professional, so this is just my opinion, but here it is and it is based on personal experience: Eat less, exercise more. DO NOT eat "diet" foods. I believe them to be harmful because they are really a diet of chemicals.

Eat real, whole foods. If you follow the Candida Diet (which is not a diet for weight loss, but a way of eating for health), you will lose weight. You do not have to suffer from a candida overgrowth to follow this eating regimen. You have to be creative with the veggies so you don't get bored, but it certainly removes high calorie foods from your diet. It replaces them with veggies, veggies, and more veggies. A little rice cakes, brown rice, and meat thrown in, and there you have it! http://www.wholeapproach.com/, http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/

You might have to go for these as your main source of dessert foods:

reciperhapsody on March 22, 2010 at 12:15 am Reply

I feel your pain! I've gained 20 but I'm not yet resolved to cut back on the baking–I love it so much! These pancakes look like heaven and will def be trying them. Would regular old-fashioned oats work in place of the Coach's oats?~Veronica

screwdestiny on March 22, 2010 at 1:22 am Reply

Those look fantastic! I think it's a good idea to not go on a "diet" but simply start making healthier, whole foods. If you do that, those ten pounds should fall right off. Oh, and I don't know about your exercise routine, but my biggest tip when it comes to exercise is find something you enjoy. There are a hundred ways to burn calories and I guarantee there's something fun for everyone.

grace on March 22, 2010 at 4:43 am Reply

i'm fairly certain that i'd offset any nutritional benefits from the pancakes with the copious sauce i'd add. great post. :)

Southern Gal on March 22, 2010 at 6:04 am Reply

The posting of that recipe at the bottom of your weight lamenting really isn't fair. I have to pretend the pancake recipe isn't there because I'm right there with you, Cheeky Cheeks. Weight Watcher's again…

Camille on March 22, 2010 at 6:22 am Reply

10 lbs over 15 months is ALL?! Man, that makes me look pretty bad – and you're the one creating all the delicious foods! :) You are pretty amazing, has anyone ever told you that? :)

Jamie on March 22, 2010 at 7:37 am Reply

Ah, Shucks…that 10 pounds looks pretty good on you by the looks of your photo on here!

But if you must…

My recommendations are not much different than Becki Madsen above. Eat 5-6 meals per day w/ a carb (think whole grains or fruits, like oatmeal, barley, whole wheat bread, apples, oranges, yogurt) and a lean protein (chicken, fish, lean beef, even cottage cheese)at each one. Add veggies with abandon!

And these girls are right on that you deserve a "free day". Give yourself one day per week when you bake and enjoy. Have a plan for dealing with potential leftovers, like gifting them to teachers, neighbors,etc.

Good luck! And keep baking. :)

Joanna on March 22, 2010 at 8:14 am Reply

Ditto Sinclair's comments above! I don't diet. Ever. I exercise as much as I can and I eat everything in moderation. I've changed many of my favorite dessert recipes (yes, even cakes and cookies) to include whole grain, less fat, and less sugar. I indulge when I really want to, and then I just walk a few extra loops around the neighborhood. The only "trick" I do is to chug an glass of water and eat a piece of fruit as soon as I wake up. It jump starts my metabolism :)

These fruity whole grain pancakes look like an awesome way to get you jumpstarted!

memoryminded on March 22, 2010 at 10:08 am Reply

I'm right there with you, Brooke – only it's taken me alot less than 15 months to pack on the extra weight. I just have to get through my current chocolate chip cookie recipe obsession, and then I hope to get back to healthy eating. There are lots of creative recipe opportunities to explore in that area – thankfully! Because I much prefer scheduling lunch reservations with friends then scheduling time to exercise!!! Which I guess is part of my problem…

I look forward to trying these very, somewhat, probably,I'm gonna call them, healthy pancakes!! Yum!

Maria on March 22, 2010 at 7:56 pm Reply

Love the fruit and coconut topping! YUM!

Saintly_too on March 22, 2010 at 9:54 pm Reply

Healthier? I'm not sure about that. Your syrup has 108g of Saturated fat in it's entirity. Very, very scary!

For myself, since mid-August 2009 I've used two tools to lose 50lbs!! (ten more till I'm at my goal, 135lbs)

I first got the iPhone application: Lose It! This app tracks what I eat & all my exercise. Absolutely lost w/out it! You can also enter in your recipes and calculate how many calories/serving. This way I can bake & eat my treats w/out guilt & weight gain!

Next up? Curves! By far an excellent place to start! I had a gym membership to the gym across the street from my home, but never went! Curves' staff impressed & helped me so much I applied for a job & got it! I'm also a certified personal trainer & picked Curves all apart as I was studying… I still recommend them!

If I can do it & keep baking??? You can too!

My son's wedding is at the end of May & I'll be one hot mama in my dress @ that wedding!

Follow me there! @Saintly_too on Twitter. I'll bake & blog my way back to health!

Much love,
    Lea

The Lindsays on March 22, 2010 at 10:02 pm Reply

Though I feel for your dilemma…I'm a bit glad for your new found ambition. You obviously know your way around a kitchen and if anyone can come up with yummy, healthy solutions, it would be you! I'm hoping you will share some of your healthy alternatives because I am also in the process of losing all my holiday gain (yeah, what took you 15 months to add only took me a 3!).

As for advice…I have honestly loved weight watchers because it's livable. It teaches you to watch portion control, make healthier choices and yet still have flexibility for a splurge here and there. If I make sure to get my 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day, drink lots of water, and stick to whole grains it turns out I don't feel deprived at all! Good Luck!

Holla on March 22, 2010 at 10:11 pm Reply

Miss Cheeky Kitchen, I love your blog! It's so bright and colorful! I love it.
    Thanks for making food (more) fun!

smilinggreenmom on March 23, 2010 at 12:26 pm Reply

Your blog is so super cute! I love the look of these pancakes. We recently tried some really healthy and yummy ones in a mix that were made with Kamut Khorasan Wheat flour! They were amazing :) I recommend these to you since I know they are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Hope this helps!

tickledred on March 23, 2010 at 8:27 pm Reply

I am not a banana fan but this makes me want to be. Great photos, yummy and scrumptious. I feel your pain about those extra pounds.

kat-in-texas on March 24, 2010 at 6:05 pm Reply

I'm starting the Advocare 10 day cleanse on Monday next week. I'll let you know how that goes…clean, healthy eating for 10days. Then the 24 day challenge follows–it's a lifestyle change, to say the least, but I want to be healthy, strong and have more energy to want to exercise!

Right now, nothing left to give after I get home from work…and that's a bad mama! :)

betchacanteatjustone on March 25, 2010 at 9:04 am Reply

Oh my goodness, that sugared coconut milk syrup….these pancakes look so dreamy and I may have to make them tonight for dinner!

Katie

Ashley on March 25, 2010 at 2:49 pm Reply

delic! delic! i just sent this link to my parents, who i am visiting for Easter weekend, and said "wouldnt this be particularly yummy on 4/3?

i hope we can give it a whirl!

Simply Me on March 25, 2010 at 7:00 pm Reply

i think I just died of happiness. New follower :)

JennyMac on March 27, 2010 at 6:31 am Reply

These look outstanding. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I can not wait to see your original cupcake recipes too. New here and just added you to my google reader!

Tongue-N-Cheeky on March 28, 2010 at 12:58 am Reply

Dear All of You-

THANK YOU! Thank you so very much for your generous sharing of lessons learned and ideas for my impending weight loss regime. You are wonderful!

I toted myself off to a week of Spring Break full of ideas and thoughts to mull over. I am tickled to report that, in the face of a week of vacation treats, I ate less, moved more and arrived home 1 pound less that when I left. Hurrah! What would I do without your help?!

More to come. Hugs to the each of you!

Jamica on March 30, 2010 at 10:38 pm Reply

These pancakes look as delicious as anything else you described (with the exception of the peanut butter bars… my weakness!) I'm always looking for new breakfast foods!
    All the talk of exercising and eating less makes me tired and sad. *sigh* Reality stinks sometimes.

Ashley on April 5, 2010 at 11:53 am Reply

Hi Brooke! I forwarded this recipe to my mom for her to make this past Saturday morning. After a 10 mile training run, she served us up these hot cakes and they were PERFECT! The best refueling food I've had yet. Not to heavy, all the right and healthy ingredients and the flavor was out of this world.

My Dad said "I will never eat a normal pancake again. I don't really like pancakes, but these, these are amazing."

Thanks for sharing!!!

Cecily on April 12, 2010 at 10:05 am Reply

Are Coach's Oats just your basic old fashioned oats?