Sundried Tomato Pizza

Photobucket

I haven’t had a blender for four years. You’d think, by the looks of my food site and all, that you’d find a well stocked kitchen and high-end appliances, eh? Well, such thinking can fall by the wayside because, I’m now admitting the truth.

Photobucket
I have a single cookie sheet and bake my second batches on a broiler pan. I call my children into the kitchen to grate carrots and cheese because, well, no food processor sets it’s pretty self on my crumb-ridden cupboards. The kids like to sneak bites of the grated cheddar, though, so that works out okay.

Photobucket

About eight years ago, my Grandma gave me her Bosch mixer (love her for that. Love her for everything.) I used it faithfully to mix bread and beat together batters until the lid shattered quite inconvienently, leaving me without any sort of massive horsepowered dough-mixing machine. No problemo. Hand-kneading bread is, to me, one of the finest, most voluptuously peaceful practices of a day. If I need to mix a batter, I like to pretend I’m an Amish housewife, whisking vigorously with a bowl tucked tidily under my arm. Or, I’ll pull out my handy electric mixer. Though, I’ve killed five hand mixers in a matter of five months, broken spatulas, chopped my knives handles clean off. And, did I mention I don’t have a blender?
Well, didn’t have a blender. But, one meandering walk through Costco and an impulse buy later, I proudly donned my kitchen counter with a gleaming, cherry red Osterizer. (It’s no Vita-Mix. By golly, no. I’m still saving up. But one day. One day.) The kids cheered with delight, begged for smoothies every morning. Handsome man-of-the-house, John smiled upon the realization that he could easily blend his protein drinks before his daily marathon sessions. And I. Well, I blended up a batch of Sundried Tomato Pizza. Which was then promptly cooked on a broiler pan, and cut with a broken knife.
And gosh, was it good.

Photobucket

Saturday Night Sundried Tomato Pizza

Rustic and hearty, yet light enough to make you feel proud for eating your veggies, this pizza can be put together in minutes. The sundried pesto is so simple, and absolutely divine, it’s blended parmesan melting into the added smackling of cheese on top of the pizza. Of course, there are a million and four other ways to use the pesto–as a pasta sauce, a spread for sandwiches, a cracker dip–but if you’re going to use it for this pizza, be sure to not oversalt it, for the capers in the recipe add a hefty amount of salt to the final product.
1 c. smoked, sundried tomatoes
1/2 c. fresh basil
1/2 c. olive oil
1/2 c. parmesan, shredded
1/2 c. pine nuts
Salt & Pepper to taste
2-4 c. Asagio, parmesan, mozzarella, romano cheese mix
1/2 c. capers, olives and/or mushrooms
6-8 6-inch rounds of fresh baked or frozen Cheeky Kitchen Multigrain Pizza Crust
In a blender, combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, shredded parmesan, pine nuts and salt and pepper. Blend until thoroughly pureed. Add more olive oil, if needed, to keep blender blades moving.
Spread pesto mixture on multigrain pizza rounds. Sprinkle generously with cheese mixture, capers, olives and mushrooms, or other desired toppings. Bake in an oven preheated to 425 degrees for 7-9 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
Photobucket
What basic kitchenware is missing in your kitchen? Are you without a cake pan or spatula? Is there a chef knife missing or nary a ziploc bag in sight? Soothe my soul. Tell me I’m not the only one with some serious cookware needs. Then, go make this pizza. Even if you have to grind the sauce together with a mortar & pestle.

16 Responses to “Sundried Tomato Pizza”

Jamica on April 27, 2010 at 10:28 pm Reply

I lack a hand mixer. I have a kitchen-aid, BUT I lack any attachments (my kids have played "Captain Hook" one too many times.) I currently own 5 ziplock bags. I use, wash, and reuse them (I'm such a frugal tightwad!) Until last year I owned 1 frying pan, 1 sauce pan, and 1 stock pot (all were purchased by my husband at a garage sale 17 years ago!) I love my new pans!

Jake hate tomatoes. I usually blend any recipe with tomatoes to disguise what I put on his plate. This recipe will fit nicely on our kitchen table! Thanks Brooke!

lyndsay on April 27, 2010 at 10:29 pm Reply

you are murdering me with those photographs. i just had pizza for a snack with my husband from the place across the street from our house… but holy smokes. now i want some of YOURS!

i can always always use more spatulas… and muffin pans…

Lorrie Munson on April 27, 2010 at 10:33 pm Reply

I am now an empty nester. I have all the tools I need to create in the kitchen. In fact I have too much. Things don't get broken when you cook alone. Also, children have a tendency to give you things they want. "Well, mom if you aren't going to use that blender I will take it back." What they mean is take it back home to use. My only thing I lack is storage bowls. I can't store leftovers because my storage containers keep leaving the house and never returning. They show up in the strangest places. My husband had 3 at work that had to be thrown out because the black mold wouldn't come out. I found 5 in a son's back window of a car. Same problem. I guess things change. When I didn't have equipment I had need to bake often. Now I have everything I have to look for occasions to bake.

Eva on April 27, 2010 at 11:17 pm Reply

I made sun dried tomato Pizza the other day too. It was soooo good I can;t believe I didn't think of doing it sooner.

Federica on April 28, 2010 at 4:34 am Reply

wow che bella! chissà che buona!! ciao!

Kolette on April 28, 2010 at 8:36 am Reply

What do I lack? The tasty recipes you concoct. Come and borrow my pans. We'll trade appliances for food.

Leah on April 28, 2010 at 10:05 am Reply

I've never gotten around to buying a stand mixer. Sure, it's tempting every time Costco runs a special deal on Kitchen Aid (which they're doing right now), but then I come back to the reality that it will be one more appliance taking up way too much space on my kitchen counter.

What's even more shocking, though, is seeing the exact same Heath stoneware plates we've had for over 25 years in your photos! They were on our wedding gift registry list, so we received the whole set, including serving platters and a gravy pitcher! Four kids later finds us with a lot less, but I'm sure you know how that goes! Don't ever get rid of yours. They're still producing them and are considered classics. I just recently packaged up the surviving pieces to pass on to the next generation someday.

Diana on April 28, 2010 at 10:38 am Reply

I totally relate to your lack of kitchen gadgets. I have a cheapie hand mixer that I silently pray doesn't burn up when I'm mixing something really thick. I do a lot of hand mixing. I have a inexpensive blender and my knives haven't been sharpened since our wedding over eight years ago. I am also a ziploc baggie washer and reuser.

screwdestiny on April 28, 2010 at 2:09 pm Reply

MAN, that looks good.

My kitchen is missing many an important gadget/tool. There are no tongs (yeah, really need to work on that, I have to wash my hands like 15 times when I work with raw meat) or cake pans. I have a crappy hand mixer that I think I bought for $5. I'd love a beautiful pink KitchenAid one, but yeah…someday. I do have a lovely Cuisinart food processor, but I obtained that by way of winning it, so I was lucky there. Oh, I don't have things like a pizza cutter or ice cream scoop either. I really need to work on this.

Maria on April 28, 2010 at 2:12 pm Reply

Love this pizza! I have too many kitchen gadgets, it is kind of an obsession:)

Amy on April 28, 2010 at 7:03 pm Reply

I've never commented here but seriously am shocked. I have imagined you slaving away in your fabulous yellow shoes in that dream kitchen that Kelly Ripa pretends is hers on the electrolux commercials. That's exactly how I picture your house. Please, for me, please get yourself some gadgets. Your high heels and website are far too fabulous for you to endure anything less. But keep the little cheese graters. They're cute. But kneading your own bread. Come ON. I guess it's a good workout? I'd have to tell myself that a lot to knead my own bread. Although I never make bread. Or bake. What am I even doing here? cjane is to blame. She lead me here and I got hooked on your cute wit and darling writing and fabulous photos.

Adri on April 28, 2010 at 8:00 pm Reply

It makes me laugh to think of your square-shaped muffin tins sitting next to your single cookie sheet in the cupboard. When I got married, my grandma told me I needed at least 5 cookie sheets. I am, however, lacking a broiler pan. Can you believe they are near impossible to find? Are they supposed to come with your oven or something?

Cheeky Kitchen on April 28, 2010 at 9:48 pm Reply

You gals have had me giggling and gasping all day with your comments. Darlings. That you so much for taking the time to leave them!

Jamica & Diana- Ziploc bag washing?! I'm shocked. I'm amazed. I'm impressed. And, I'm readily admitting I am NOT a bag washer, though I adore you immensely for being such.

Kolette- Appliances for food. It's a deal. Of course, I'm only willing to take that sort of a bargain because of the witty conversation which I know will come with the territory. Love you.

screwdestiny- you've GOTTA get tongs! Or, really, tremendously good handsoap. Poor dear. I'm about ready to ship you a pair myself.

Amy- Please forgive me for shattering your high expectations. I, too, bake in such a kitchen. Me and my resplendently retro appliances. One day, perhaps. I promise to take pictures as soon as it's a reality.

Adri- I think they DO come with your oven. Stop by anytime and borrow mine. :)

Ashley on April 29, 2010 at 3:34 pm Reply

brooke – your kitchen sounds EXACTLY like mine. I have some great aunts original pots from the 1950's in true avocado green. I don't even know what cooking with non-stick would be like! This weekend I pulled on a small electric skillet and my Dad goes "WHOA!" in response to it's age…ancient. I too have no blender or food processor or kitchen aid stand mixer, but I can cook pretty damn good without'em!

laura on February 1, 2012 at 6:20 pm Reply

YUM! no need to say anything else…adding to my ‘must make’ list!

www.electriciansmarblefallstx.com/ on September 25, 2013 at 3:32 pm Reply

Now after you have called them, choose five electricians and ask them to inspect
    your site and bid on the job. If you are in might need
    of an effective and believe in worthy electrician, there is no one particular far better than the electrician who are trained on electrical and wiring tasks in devoted
    electrical courses. This makes it easy for individuals to look up their services, skills, charges and years of experience and then choose one they
    deem best.