Warm Honey Lime Shrimp Salad

Photobucket

Sometimes I just get a craving for pure food. It happened twice this weekend. My body begged for a bowl of crisp greens, my mouth craved a plate full of cauliflower. No amount of tiger-striped brownies, or white iced cookies, or rainbowed cake could tempt me like the clean, fresh promise of a warm spring salad.

I adore food that fills me up at a meal, and likewise leaves me feeling dainty and disciplined. After I eat those sorts of meals, I feel as though I’ve taken my tastebuds to the spa for an hour, given them a hot stone massage and a sweat wrap, then allowed them back into the regular routine all relaxed and toned and glowing with goodness.

What is it that keeps us from eating this way all the time? Today, no less that fourteen times I declared myself powerful enough to avoid all unhealthy pickings, then found myself leant like a crazy woman over the fluffy pink frosting of a sprinkled sugar cookie, the buttery lemon flavor of my latest kitchen concoction, the last sippy slurps of a watermelon Icee…well, you get the picture. It’s all up and down eating habits over here in bakery blogging land.

I came across this fantastic site a few years ago, after I’d first completed the Master Cleanse. Karly Pitman, the founder of First Ourselves declared herself 100% sugar-free several years ago and now offers a support group for others who may want to break the sugar-addiction cycle. I think a lot about her plan. Could I do it? Could I go with out sugar–without any form of sugar–for LIFE? Could you?

Somedays, I think I could. When I fill my body with the bounty of the earth, I think I could do it. After I run hard on the dirt path behind my house and feel the ruddy tightening of my calves, I think I could do it. When I read Suicide by Sugar or watch Food, Inc. I think I “Oh.my.gosh! I HAVE to do it.”

But, then I come home and see that fluffy buttercream sitting atop those kiwi cupcakes and I grow weak. So. So. Weak. Just a bite, I say. Then, four cupcakes later I’m sitting on the kitchen counter, lips dotted with frosting, fingers being slowly licked clean and I think. How could I live the rest of my life without the soft mouthful of white cake, or the crunch and chew of a chocolate chip cookie. How could I? How COULD I?!

I’ll tell you how I think I could. I could do it if I had this warm shrimp salad at my bidding in any given moment. I could do it if I had my own Whole Foods salad bar, updated daily, in the center of my kitchen. I could do it if I got really, really organized. I’d have to plan out menu’s and shop slowly and chop every vegetable ahead of time. Then, I’d have to stay really, really organized. I’d have to think in the morning about what I’d be serving at our breakfast, lunch and dinnertimes. I’d have to that grass-fed meat in the morning, sprinkle and spice and marinate in the afternoon, saute and skillet every evening. And, I’d have to stop buying butter. And sugar. And brown sugar. And powdered sugar. And white flour.

Could I do it? Could I eat pure, clean food and never again taste the eyebrow raising excitement that is chocolate chips and buttercream? I’m thinking seriously about my answer. But am also wondering…

Could You?

Photobucket

Warm Honey-Lime Shrimp Salad
with Sprouts & Snap Peas
Quick and simple, with all the flavors that fresh mint, peas and ginger can imbue, this salad is an ideal lunch meal, or an easy weeknight dinner. The bean sprouts are particularly divine, lending their noodle-like texture without actually adding any extra, unneeded carbs. Of course, if you are me, you’ll take advantage of this feature by serving this gorgeous salad with these equally divine muffins. Could I eat this salad everyday for the rest of my life? You betchya. Could I never again lay lips upon those muffins? Hmmmm. I’ll let you know.

Fresh squeezed juice of 3 limes

3 T. honey

1 clove garlic, crushed

Pinch of fresh ginger, finely grated

Salt & Pepper to taste

2 T. olive oil

1/2 lb large raw shrimp, peeled and cleaned

1/2 c. snap peas, diced

6-8 radishes, sliced

1/2 c. bean sprouts

2 T. fresh mint, chopped

1/4 c. whole, roasted cashews (optional)

In a small bowl, whisk together the lime juice, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour half of mixture over the shrimp, allowing it to marinate for a few minutes. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot (but don’t let it get so hot that the oil begins to smoke!), add the shrimp to the skillet and saute until pink & cooked through. In a medium bowl, combine all other ingredients. Immediately add warm, cooked shrimp to the bowl. Toss with remaining lime juice mixture. Serve immediately.

Photobucket

Also craving this weekend: Scallops on Creamy Leeks, Ginger Fried Rice, Mixed Greens with Oranges & Balsalmic Steak. See, I could go without sugar. I could. Couldn’t I?

15 Responses to “Warm Honey Lime Shrimp Salad”

1. screwdestiny says:

Well, honey is sugar, so I guess that rules out the salad.

But is does look super delicious. I *could* go without sugar, but I certainly wouldn't want to. Oh, and I did go without sugar for about a month last year, and it is incredibly difficult to find certain things without any added sugar (or, excuse me, HFCS as actual sugar would be too pricey). Like bread. Why the fluff do they need to add HFCS to wheat bread? Ridiculous. That's why we're addicted. If we only ever ate sugar in the things that are supposed to have sugar in them, we wouldn't crave it ALL THE TIME.

2. Sandy at God Speaks Today says:

I've asked myslef that exact same question…I had this discussion with my husband last night. Not just about sugar, but all unpure, unholy, immoral foods.

Yes, I absolutely could, but I would probably need a really good incentive. Like death and destruction.

Other than death and destruction, I would probably keep thinking it wasn't worth it.

Blessings,
    Sandy

3. WizzyTheStick says:

Gorgeous, gorgeous salad and great post. IMO I don't think the problem is sugar but our abuse of it.

4. cookies and cups says:

not a chance! I am one of those who WISH they could go without, but know myself entirely too well.
    It's me and buttercream baby :)

5. Heather says:

Moderation in all things. It is never good to go totally crazed one way or the other. Sugar is good for you in moderation, just like corn is too.

6. Becki Madsen says:

Nope. Couldn't do it. All us Mormons have is food so why skimp on that? That salad looks DIVINE! And if you ever have any leftovers that you need to get rid of, your neighbors up the street will gladly help you finish them! SOOO yum, in fact I am going to make this sometime this week….thanks Brooke!

7. Katie @ Cozydelicious says:

This salad looks wonderful. I love the crunch of snap peas with the sweet shrimp. Yum! But even if I could have this salad every time I snapped my fingers, I could never ever give up chocolate. All the rest no big deal – but chocolate is necissary to me!

8. Becki says:

Oh, now now, moderation in all things. Healthy must be balanced with sweets!

(but seriously, keep the healthy recipes coming!)

9. Kolette says:

No sugar? The principle is a noble one – a lot nobler than my desire to make it happen. Balance seems to be the key to everything in life, why not food?

10. Our Family says:

I am currently working at being sugar-free; WHITE sugar-free that is. I use pure maple syrup, Sucanat, and agave nectar for sweetening. There are some GOOD recipes out there using natural sweeteners! I've learned that my body knows the difference, too. I feel so much better when I'm not overloaded on white sugar. Avoiding white flour goes along with it.

11. memoryminded says:

Yeah! Thank you for the delicious looking recipe. I can't wait to try it. Yes, I know white sugar is not good for me, and no, I would never try to give it up completely. I do try to limit it, though. I look forward to more healthy recipes, balanced of course, with the more decadent ones, of course! :)

12. Jamica says:

Not a snowballs chance in……!

Actually, I would choose salad like this over a dessert nearly every time. But when those desserts call to me and I have a handsome husband or a giggly girlfriend to share it with…. I'd hate to miss out on those tasty times!

Lovin' the health side of your blog!

13. Grace says:

Hello, just lingering over the photo for this shrimp salad w/ snow peas.
    All of your recipes have motivating photos to cook.
    Sugar versus healthy meal. I love buttercream frosting…occasionally in moderation….we went to NYC to the famous Magnolia bakery to try their buttercream cupcakes, lemon cream, chocolate, and vanilla were cupcakes of the day.

14. Holy Cannoli Recipes says:

I have been craving a salad just like this for a week now. I think it is time to go to the grocery store and pick up these ingredients.

15. disneymomof6 says:

this salad looks awesome and beautiful and I can't wait to make it. The sugar thing is not scaring me…all in moderation and lots of water!!! Your site looks wonderful and I can't wait to look around and try more of your recipes!!!