$2 Chinese Noodles

Photobucket

Around these parts, we’re always up for a deal. With four {cute} kids, a four-pound chihuahua, and one handsome husband to feed, anything I can do to cut back on cost without sacrificing nutrition and flavor is a winning idea.

Which is why Top Ramen may be about the world’s finest creation. When we hosted our first Korean exchange student in 2009, my children were mesmerized at breakfast-time, when Kwanyong kicked off the day with a big bowl of noodles. “Can we have that, too?” they’d whine into their bowls of vanilla bean oatmeal. I would promptly remind them that noodles do not a breakfast make, but my children seemed rather dubious about my stance on the matter.

Photobucket

When it comes to making restaurant-quality Chinese takeout for dinner, however, I am ramen noodles biggest fan. They are, after all the best way to create big, asianesque flavor without even cracking the food budget. I am not even exaggerating on this point, either. The bowl of noodles we served up with our Kumquat Kissed Orange Chicken cost exactly two dollars. TWO dollars! Even a quick order off of the dollar menu at any fast food restaurant won’t feed eight people for two bucks. And, this here side dish has a lot more veggies and a lot less preservatives than you’ll find in fast food meals. It tasted extra good when served up with that orange chicken of ours. Really, really good.

Do me a favor and keep it under wraps that I snuck a bite of the leftovers for breakfast. If my kids found out, it would be curtains for oatmeal at our house.

Photobucket

$2 Chinese Noodles
Though this recipe makes use of premade packs of ramen, the addition of garlic and sesame oil and fresh ginger makes them so much more than your basic bowl of noodles. Served aside my knockoff version of Panda Express Orange Chicken, Kumquat Kissed Orange Chicken, something magic happens. The flavors combine together to create a rich, flavorful meal. Very much worth the extra time it takes to go homemade. If you’ve got a crowd to feed as I did, you’ll want to follow the recipe below exactly. Three adults and five children ate plentifully off of the amounts below. If, however, you’re serving a smaller crowd, feel free to decrease the amounts as needed.
3 packs Top Ramen, chicken flavor
3 packs Top Tamen, beef flavor
2 T. sesame oil
2 T. olive oil
1 package frozen stir-fry veggies or chow mein medley
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/2 tsp. fresh ginger, finely grated
Remove the flavor packets from the ramen. Fill a very large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add ramen noodles. Boil 2-3 minutes, or just until softened. Drain. Return pot to hot stove, add sesame and olive oils. Add the garlic and ginger to the oils, allow cook for about 1 minute, then add veggies and flavor packs. Once veggies have fully thawed, add hot noodles back into the pot. Stir carefully until noodles are well coated with oil mixture. Serve immediately. Or, you know, for breakfast.

Photobucket

What’s your favorite chinese take-out treat?

19 Responses to “$2 Chinese Noodles”

Marianne & Clayton on May 6, 2010 at 10:11 am Reply

These are awesome! Any chance you have a no-fail copy of Moo Goo Gai Pan? Love your blog!

Marianne & Clayton on May 6, 2010 at 10:11 am Reply

Marianne & Clayton on May 6, 2010 at 10:11 am Reply

Laura on May 6, 2010 at 11:00 am Reply

Looks delicious! My favorite chinese takeout are the pork dumplings.

Amy on May 6, 2010 at 9:00 pm Reply

Looks great! I'm going to have to try this one.

tasteofbeirut on May 7, 2010 at 5:37 pm Reply

Looks so delicious and for $2 really!!!!!!!
    I dont get chinese takeout; but if I did well I would order steamed potstickers.

kathleenh on May 8, 2010 at 6:04 am Reply

This sounds and looks delicious! This should please my Asian cuisine loving daughter. Can't wait to try it!

The Coupon Goddess on May 8, 2010 at 7:43 am Reply

I've been a lurker for a long time, but have to comment on the noodles. This looks divine! I'm making it this week and wanted to thank you for the inspiration. Yummmmmm!

Cajsa on May 8, 2010 at 8:56 am Reply

I have been a fan of your blog for awhile now but have never left any comments, but this dinner was AMAZING! We LOVED LOVED LOVED it. My husband is a big fan of foods Oriental and he was amazed. I've also tried a few of your "sweet" recipes and they have all been delish! Thanks so much for your recipes!

Leslie on May 8, 2010 at 7:31 pm Reply

ahhh yessss.Ramen Noodles. I am pretty sure I kept them in business during my college years!!! Looks delish!

lavienouveau on May 10, 2010 at 6:27 am Reply

oh wow – this looks awesome! will deffientely be giving this a try!

Tickled Red on May 10, 2010 at 5:50 pm Reply

Looks scrumptious and $2 bucks…SOLD!

Marly on May 12, 2010 at 9:13 am Reply

I want the recipe for the dish on the right! That looks really good. My favorite chinese food is probably spicy eggplant. Mmmmmm

Zom G. on June 7, 2010 at 8:15 pm Reply

This was super yummy and you are totally awesome! Thanks1

private rentenvorsorge on September 28, 2011 at 3:15 pm Reply

Sie hätten eine unglaubliche Blog hier ! würden Sie lieber machen einige einzuladen zum Thema meiner Blog ?

Kate on January 23, 2012 at 11:07 pm Reply

Made these today (vegetarian style with the Oriental flavored Ramen) along with your Cashew Chicken recipe. Awesome! So easy and so much better than Chinese takeout.

Laval rencontre on February 26, 2012 at 2:50 am Reply

It happens to be an excellent and also helpful little bit of information and facts. We’re grateful which you contributed the following information around. Please be united states advised such as this. Appreciation for expressing.

bruce k anderson on October 25, 2012 at 1:40 pm Reply

I bet this is so loaded with SODIUM & MSG that it’s off the chart !

Marguerite on November 26, 2012 at 1:21 am Reply

This is really fascinating, You are an overly skilled blogger.

I have joined your rss feed and look ahead to in quest of more of your excellent post.
    Additionally, I have shared your web site in my social networks