Banana Flaxseed Pancakes with Blackberry Syrup

Photobucket

Good morning, dearests. Time to get up. Warm pancakes waiting for you downstairs.

Photobucket

What? You don’t want to wake up? Got sand in those sleepy eyes? I know. It’s early. Suppose I put a dollop of butter on your stack of flapjacks.

Photobucket

Lyssaaaa. Beccaaaa. Wake uuuuuuup. If you come out from under those covers, pull on socks and shoes and comb your hair, I’ll give you a piggyback downstairs. And fresh blackberry syrup atop your pancakes.

Photobucket

Now, we’re talking. Good morning, kiddos. Welcome to the breakfast table. Girls, your hair looks–um–er–a little mussed. But, still you tried. Thank you. Andrew, honey. Your socks don’t match. {Sigh.} We’ll get to that after we eat.

Photobucket

No, no, Jakey. Don’t stab your fork in the pancakes until after the prayer. Okay, my sweet lambs. Fold your arms. Let’s bless this breakfast.

Photobucket

Banana Flaxseed Pancakes
We food bloggers sometimes make food far too difficult. We write about food, talk about food, obsess over recipes, and put together all sorts of bizarre ingredients when really, all a human soul truly needs to survive are some of the simplest forms of sustenance. Like these banana flax pancakes. Home mixed in minutes. Simply amazing. This recipe requires only a few basic ingredients, and can be whipped up in nearly the same amount of time as it would take you to beat up a store-bought pancake mix, but here you do it with far less preservatives than the packaged stuff. The extra time it takes to make these from scratch is well worth it. The result is so simple, so wholesome, so flavorful, so pretty. Such a perfect way to get your morning started. Topped with a basic blackberry & vanilla bean syrup, you’ll likely be just as enamored by these homecooked pancakes this morning as my rather sleepy children were today. Enjoy.
2 ripe bananas
1/2 c. ground flaxseed
1 ½ c. whole wheat flour
2 eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
1 T. white vinegar
1 T. olive oil
Pinch of salt
1-2 c. almond milk

In a large bowl. Mash bananas. Add all other flaxseed, flour, eggs, baking pwder, vinegar, olive oil and salt. Begin beating mixture together, add almond milk a little at a time until the mixture reached the appropriate pancake batter balance (thin enough to pour, thick enough to not puddle all over your griddle.) Bake on a heated griddle or skillet. Serve with blackberry syrup.
Basic Blackberry Syrup
You could use frozen blackberries with this recipe, but I think fresh are so much more vibrant. And, if you’re wondering how a quaint lil’ kitchen such as my own has vanilla beans, please know it’s Costco. You can get a handful of them for your spice cupboard for less than 6 bucks.
2 c. fresh blackberries
1 ½ c. sugar
¾ c. water
Vanilla bean, split in half
Place all ingredients in a large saucepan. Stir together over medium high heat just until the mixture begins to boil. Serve immediately over Banana-Flax Pancakes

Photobucket

Amen.

19 Responses to “Banana Flaxseed Pancakes with Blackberry Syrup”

Christa on May 12, 2010 at 12:50 pm Reply

I love your blog and I really like that you've branched out from sweets to other great recipes…(here comes the but)…But I miss the little faces and saucy comments your food used to make. I am sure you are clever enough to personify pizza and pancakes. Pretty please, with organic honey on top?

I am going to make your pizza dough this weekend! Thanks for what you do!

Katie Lane on May 12, 2010 at 1:12 pm Reply

Some reason I am LOVING the color combo in these pictures – so great!

Lauralee on May 12, 2010 at 1:36 pm Reply

This recipe sounds so good. So glad I came across this. And the pictures are fantastic and so is the story. Have a nice day.

Adri on May 12, 2010 at 2:03 pm Reply

Blackberries for 88cents at Sunflower? Gotta love it! I made myself a blackberry pie for Mother's day, thanks to the super deal!

Looks yummy!

Leslie on May 12, 2010 at 2:21 pm Reply

AMEN! I want some!!!!

Laraine Eddington on May 12, 2010 at 3:19 pm Reply

What a perfect "breakfast for dinner". That's when I love to eat pancakes.

Jenn~ on May 12, 2010 at 3:26 pm Reply

*Drool*

Looks so so yummy…..I know what I am making this weekend…

I have to find Almond Milk though…never heard of it….sounds divine though :)

Lisa (bakebikeblog) on May 12, 2010 at 4:26 pm Reply

I want these NOW!!!!! Love them :)

Jamie Cooks It Up! on May 12, 2010 at 5:03 pm Reply

Just lovely. Truly lovely. Wonder if the mornings around here would turn lovely if I made them?

memoryminded on May 12, 2010 at 6:56 pm Reply

Thank you for the recipe. Your photos are just as delicous as I imagine the pancakes to taste! I can't wait to try these!

Jas. on May 12, 2010 at 8:02 pm Reply

wow – how delicious do these look and I'm so hungry right now!

Amanda on May 13, 2010 at 5:46 am Reply

Saw these on foodgawker…. well done!

Blessings-
    Amanda

Camille on May 13, 2010 at 7:26 am Reply

Oh this would be perfect for slipping in a little "healthy" to my daughter's preferred meal choice!
    THey sound delicious and I love the colors of you photos! You amaze me – always!

Caroline of Salsa Pie on May 13, 2010 at 1:09 pm Reply

Oh. My. Word! I love these. Anything with Flaxseed attracts me a like a moth to a flame.

those plates are sweet too!

p.s. love the new layout of your blog. Super sharp!

screwdestiny on May 13, 2010 at 3:34 pm Reply

Matching socks are for squares. :)

Those pancakes look awesome.

I run for cake! on May 14, 2010 at 6:52 am Reply

YUM! Those pancakes look delicious!

Sarah at Candiquik on May 14, 2010 at 12:02 pm Reply

I love it! Love your writing and ideas. And yummm, see now I would skip the butter and use whipped cream :)
    Thanks for the idea, I know what I'm having on Sunday morning now :)

smilinggreenmom on May 14, 2010 at 12:34 pm Reply

YUMMY! Our kids would so love these :) They were just asking me last night if I could make some homemade jelly and this just might do the trick :) We love our pancakes made from Kamut Khorasan Wheat flour since it is so healthy but I would love to try your recipe now with the flax! Great!!

Tara Barros on May 20, 2010 at 1:45 pm Reply

I have made these three times now. They are SO yummy. I had blueberries so I made blueberry syrup, but I can't wait until blackberries are on sale!