Sloppy Thai Burgers with Cilantro-Peanut Coleslaw

Photobucket

Sunday morning, and fresh white rays of light are streaming through the windows. What a blissful way to begin a May morning. Of course, there are sheets of icy frost across the deck and on the tip of every tree branch and blade of grass. But the sun is out, so the focus is on the glory already given, not the pining for that which is not ours.
I awoke early because Sunday mornings are always better when I do. I swept the dust and crumbs of Saturday into the corner, began a plateful of french toast, opened my scriptures and breathed and read. Such simple beginnings tend to invite a beautiful peace that blankets our home and lingers throughout the entire Sabbath day.
Yes, there is still the struggle to pull freshly ironed shirts over the boys heads, to slick curly ponytails into the girls heads. There is still the occasional pinching of siblings in the church pew, and the death-defying race after church meetings to get to the best seat in the minivan.
But all such happenings become somehow inconsequential when the morning begins with devotion and prayer and dusted floors and a warm breakfast. It’s as though, by setting the tone of our day in a few morning minutes, I’ve also made up my mind that we (or at least I) will try to rise above the small and petty. That together we will seek to lift our gaze above the everyday and believe that this day could be something special. Something sanctified.
Amazing, isn’t it? How just deciding something can often cause it to be so.
Speaking of deciding. If I decide what you’ll have for dinner next Saturday, suppose you give me ideas for Sunday dinner tonight? Fair? Oh, wonderful! Then, next Saturday you shall make this simple, yet profoundly delicious recipe of mine for Sloppy Thai Burgers with Cilantro-Peanut Coleslaw. Just follow this link to my recipe profile over at the Real Women of Philadelpia website. There’s a fun little video & story to go with it (you can discover what we did all weekend here at the McLay home). The recipe is also there. And, while you’re there, you might want to sign up for the community (it’s really such fun and so very inspiring) and check out the hundreds of other recipes made by Real Women in the recipe gallery.
Allright, your turn. What shall we have for Sunday dinner on this icy spring day in Colorado? I simply can’t decide. We’ll need something quick and not too complicated. Something the kids will love. Something that makes the hubby fall ever in love with me.
I hope that’s not too much to ask.
If it is, please remember…it’s the Sabbath and we are rising above all grumbling today. Therefore, to seek your frank forgiveness for my intrusive recipe-requesting, I promise to save you a piece of french toast and a seat on our church bench. Though, be warned. You might get pinched.

11 Responses to “Sloppy Thai Burgers with Cilantro-Peanut Coleslaw”

1. Marisa@make*happy says:

How about meatloaf a la Martha? It is easily adjustable to ingredients you have on hand, and my kids love the ketchup and brown sugar topping.

2. Anatomy of A Dinner Party says:

Fried rice with whatever is in your fridge. Super yummy and you won't have to shop! oxxox, P

ps – your photos become more beautiful with every post. Book on the horizon?

3. KPackard says:

You live in CO? How exciting, I grew up there! (And for some reason I kept thinking you were in UT…).

Anyway, these look delicious! And when we want something fast and easy, we go with burritos, breakfast for dinner (my husband's specialty so I don't even have to cook), or pasta (my favorite). Good luck deciding!

4. Tanya and Colin says:

Here is what we are having tonight…

Tortilla Soup

3 T Butter
    1 Large Onion, chopped
    4 Garlic Cloves, minced
    6 Celery Ribs, diced
    2 Large Carrots, diced
    1 lb ground chicken or beef, raw
    1/2 C Flour
    1t Tabasco
    14 oz can Diced Tomatoes
    1t Pepper
    42 oz Chicken Broth

Heat butter in a large pot and saute onion, garlic, carrots, celery and chicken.

Once chicken is cooked through add pepper, Tabasco and flour, stirring well. Then add chicken broth and diced tomatoes.

Simmer 1 hour.

To serve I garnish with fat free sour cream and diced avocados.

Can't wait to try out your burgers!!!

5. Jen T says:

We had blueberry and strawberry filled crepes dusted with powdered sugar. Yummy! The strawberry were picked fresh from our backyard patch. Can't beat that. I could send you some, but they might not arrive very well! :)

6. Cecily says:

Vegetarian lentil soup with fresh bread and bagged salad. It is one of my go-to recipes. You could finish it up with some tasty dessert that you have laying around (chewy chocolate gingerbread cookies, anyone?).

7. Cheeky Kitchen says:

Oh! I am sooo inspired by you all! Thank you so much for the ideas and recipes and links! I can not WAIT to add these to my reperoitoire. Every single suggestion has had my mouth watering with delight! Seriously. THANK YOU!

So, we ended up invited friends over and just grilled burgers. Though, Marisa, you will be proud to know that we made the burgers meat loaf style, adding ketchup and soy sauce and chili paste and an egg and some panko bread crumbs to the meat before grilling. And, they were the best burgers EVER! So, thank you for the spark of an idea that made for a great meal!

And, Jen T?! Fresh strawberries and crepes?! Can we all come?1

And

8. Amy says:

I almost cried when I saw this recipe. My husband is allergic to chicken and turkey. So we eat a lot of beef and pork around our house. In order to feel like we have some variety past hamburger, it has always felt like I had to buy expensive steaks or roast. And I really can't afford that.

So imagine my happiest dreams coming true seeing this recipe. SOmething yummy made with ground beef!!! We're having it for dinner tonight and my mouth is watering just thinking about it. You are a genius and you have no idea how happy you have made me.

I think we will finish it off with peanut butter bars :)

9. Tracy says:

Cute video and the recipe sounds yummy! I'll have to try it.

10. Kevin says:

These 'burgers' sound so good! I am really liking the Thai flavours!