Creamy Curried Cauliflower Salad

Photobucket

I’ve gotten myself into all sorts of predicaments lately. Not the least of which is attending a Meet and Greet tomorrow with the infamous Tartelette, and spending far too many hours this evening trying to think of something clever to tote to the gathering. Any ideas?
In exchange, I will share with you the secret of how to use up that head of cauliflower you’ve likely got sitting deep in your vegetable crisper. I will also give you good reason to pack up your kiddies and go for a picnic, because this meal is super simple, toteable, and entirely lovely tasting.
Then, I will return from tomorrow nights soiree and be sure to tell you what I decided to share with the food blogging crowd, thereby giving you two utterly delightsome treat to add to your recipe box.
Deal?

Photobucket

Curried Cauliflower Salad
Every shopping trip I make, I buy cauliflower. I buy it because, you know, it’s good for you and stuff. It’s got all sorts of incredible cancer-fighting agents hidden within it’s flowery shell. But, every week, my plastic=wrapped head of cauliflower waits ever so patiently in the fridge for me to make up my mind and start cooking with it. And week and week, that poor lil’ thing gets neglected until it’s too late. Brown spots appear across it’s pure white crown, the leaves wilt and turn a pasty color of lime green. So I throw it out. Cauliflower, weep no more! With this gorgeous, summertime recipe, I will use thee to my hearts content. I will chop you into little chunks and mix you with all sorts of blissful flavors, creating a pretty-darned-healthy salad that is both creamy and crunchy, diet and indulgent. Finally, sweet cauliflower, you will be eaten and enjoyed!
1 cauliflower
1 ½ c. frozen peas, thawed
½ c. celery, diced
¼ c. sliced almonds
1 T. light mayo
¼ c. coconut milk
Juice of 1 lime
¼ tsp. celery salt
¼ tsp. curry powder,
¼ tsp. onion powder
Pinch cardamom
Cut the top, flowered part of cauliflower with a sharp knife (it should crumble into very small pieces). Save the remaining part of the cauliflower for another dish. Place cut pieces of cauliflower into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients, stir. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with grilled chicken strips marinated in honey, a pinch of curry & smoked paprika. Enjoy!

Photobucket

Don’t forget to put in your votes for
The Apple Pie Initiative
my cooking show pitch for Oprah’s OWN Network.
And, keep those votes coming! Just keep on clicking that VOTE button,
there’s no limit to the support you can lend!
Click HERE to see my video and VOTE.

11 Responses to “Creamy Curried Cauliflower Salad”

Eliana on June 23, 2010 at 7:15 am Reply

You're one smart chick. What an excellent and different way to prepare cauliflower. Now this is all making me want to go on a picnic.

a. maren on June 23, 2010 at 11:22 am Reply

oo yum! curry makes everything good, and this looks amazing. lovely summer recipe!

kara lynn on June 23, 2010 at 12:08 pm Reply

this looks awesome for a picnic. and what better to side it with some chicken! thanks!

Cookin' Canuck on June 24, 2010 at 7:14 am Reply

This is a lovely way to use cauliflower – perfect for a picnic. It was so nice to meet you last night and I will definitely be a regular visitor to your beautiful blog.

Miss Candiquik on June 24, 2010 at 9:49 am Reply

I voted!! And thanks for the recipe…agree with the above comments – curry = deliciousness.

GOOD LUCK!

Sarah at blog.candiquik.com

Barbara Bakes on June 24, 2010 at 12:27 pm Reply

It was a pleasure to meet you last night. I popped by and voted for you. What a great picnic basket. That chicken looks fabulous.

Jas. on June 24, 2010 at 11:36 pm Reply

YUM! And I ALWAYS end up with half a head of cauliflower left in my fridge. This is fabulous Brooke!

Deb Lucero-your neighbor on June 25, 2010 at 9:34 am Reply

Brooke, this Deb Lucero your neighbor. Can you call me or email me ASAP? You have a busted sprinkler. Ben shut of your water but he is concerned that you have some basement flooding. It was a lot of water coming into our yard from yours.

Val on June 27, 2010 at 7:37 am Reply

I love cauliflower and live new ideas to prepare it. Your presentation is amazing.

betchacanteatjustone on June 27, 2010 at 5:00 pm Reply

I just made the cauliflower salad and it's delicious! I added a pinch more curry powder (and could still handle a little bit more but then my family woudlnt' eat it!)

Thanks for sharing such a fantastic summer recipe! I'll be bringing this along to the next BBQ!

Katie

Anonymous on June 30, 2010 at 11:27 pm Reply

I like your blog !!Thank you. They are really great .
    do not miss my goods , they are very beautiful !!
    Fashion watches