Easy Homemade Brioche Hamburger Buns

Photobucket

There are smells that mean something. The smell of rain in the air means a cozy blanket and a good book. The smell of Drakkar Noir means Junior High boys at an afterschool dance.

Photobucket

The smell of chlorine means wet hair, and wet swimsuits, and wet towels, and four pink-eyed children that are properly enjoying their summer. The smell of crisp sheets means visiting with Amy and chatting her ear off as she hangs her laundry to dry on the clothesline.

Photobucket

The smell of funnel cakes means Balboa Island. Meandering shopping through chintzy shops. Chocolate dipped ice cream bars. A terrifyingly rickety ride on a Ferris Wheel. A week spent in my sister’s neck of the woods. (Can’t wait to see you, sis!)

align=”centerPhotobucket

The smell of the grill means summer. It means burgers for dinner. It means BIG burgers for dinner.

The smell of homemade hamburger buns baking while I play Go Fish on the kitchen floor with my kids means I’m a pretty darned good mom.

Photobucket

Ah, the sweet smell of success.

Speedy Brioche Hamburger Buns
The term “speedy” here doesn’t refer to the sort of speedy that is fast food window service. It’s a slow food sort of speedy, the kind that takes a full two hours for proper mixing, kneading and rising of the yeast. In this case, however, 2 hours is a fairly quick turnaround time for a batch full of soft, tender brioche buns which typically need a lot more than 2 hours to make due to the customary need to make something rather putrid-sounding called a “sponge.” After trying this recipe, you’ll likely never feel the need to stir up a brioche sponge in your kitchen, since these buns are utterly terrific and—you know—fairly quick to make.
3 c. water
½ c. powdered milk
½ c. sugar
2 T. yeast
1 ½ T. salt
5 eggs
½ c. olive oil
5 c. flour
1 beaten egg + 1 T. water for the egg wash
In a large bowl, stir together the water, yeast powdered milk, and sugar. Allow to sit and become frothy for 10 minutes. Add to that mixture, salt, well-whipped eggs, 2 c. of flour, and olive oil. Stir together until well mixed and allow to sit an additional 10 minutes. Add remaining flour a half cup at a time, slowly beginning to knead the mixture. Only add as much flour as needed to make the dough pliable, it should stay quite sticky. Knead until elastic, then drizzle generously with olive oil, cover lightly with a clean towel. Allow to rise 1 hour, or until double in bulk.
Once risen, roll dough into balls. Place on greased cookie sheet, and brush tops of each roll with egg wash, sprinkle poppy or sesame seeds (if desired) on top, and allow to ride for an additional 40 minutes. Bake in an oven preheated to 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes, or just until the tops of rolls are lightly browned. Cool, slice in half, and serve with grilled hamburgers and all your favorite fixin’s!

Ready to whip up some burgers for those buns?
Find my Best Father’s Day Burger Recipe over at Babble today by clicking HERE.

28 Responses to “Easy Homemade Brioche Hamburger Buns”

1. Cow Belles: Southern Sophistication says:

I make all my bread homemade and have been looking for a hamburger bun recipe. Cannot wait to try it. Thanks!

2. Eliana says:

I'm ready for a burger for these buns right now. They look delicious.

3. Katie Lane says:

Those look SO good! If I hadn't just messed up dinner I would try them.

4. smalltownoven says:

I'm still afraid of yeast after having killed it one too many times but these buns look too delicious to pass up especially given my family's love for homemade burgers. We've never actually made our own buns before but I'm sure we'll love this!

5. Michelle says:

I used to be afraid of yeast until i baked some cinnamon rolls! Thank goodness I've overcome it….these buns looks so professional and restauranty!! I had no idea there was such a large ratio of eggs in burger bun recipes…so interesting! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

6. amy says:

Note to self: Install one laundry line in backyard and fly Brooke and family out to chat my ear off. Get on that plane, sister. P and S. phil will love a love this burger and bun combo. XO

7. WizzyTheStick says:

I need to move in – I can smell that bread baking all the way across the ocean in my country plus your summer sounds a lot more fun than mine right now:-)!

8. koralee says:

Oooh I can almost smell those buns…thank you I am going to try these.
    xoxoxo
    Hugs for a great day.

9. shannon abdollmohammadi says:

Great post…I love homemade anything especially involving grilled hamburgers.

10. Miss Candiquik says:

You are so good! Yes…what a good mom and wife. Will you please adopt me?! I miss CO anyways…it would work out great ;)

Sarah
    blog.candiquik.com

11. Wahzat Gayle says:

the smell of bread baking has to be the most divine smell ever!!
    Baking bread and playing Go Fish yup definitely ranks you :)

12. Mrs Ergül says:

Homemade burger buns have been on my mind for the longest time ever!

Can't wait to see what become of these buns!

Great blog you have here!

13. sara says:

Hi Brooke~ I just found your blog for the first time today; it's just lovely and I'm so excited to keep reading! Nothing like reading new recipes every day; I love doing that even when I'm on a diet. I'll be making these buns soon!

14. kara lynn says:

soo excited to try this recipe and mix it up with a bunch a different fillings and meats. like bbq. love your recipes by the way! i use them all the time

15. mangiabella says:

oh my those look incredible – i always bought brioche buns at trader joe's *blushing* but now YOU have inspired to give it a whirl and make them at home!

16. PheMom says:

DRAKKAR!!! Oh my! I can't stop laughing. Good times, good times. I've been wanting to try some brioche buns for bbq'ing this summer – thanks for the fabulous reminders! (I needed that laugh!)

17. judejam says:

they certainly look good. i will try them out next weekend. it is raining down here, not so good for barbeques and the weekend is half gone. greetings from Suriname

18. Katherine says:

I just made these and the batter was so liquidy I had to almost double the flour. What did I do wrong? please help!

19. kimberly says:

I have been wanting to make these buns forever now and I finally did! However, my batter was like Katherine’s in the above comment – very liquidy. Please help me too!

• Brooke says:

Kiimberly…stay tuned! I plan on posting a video tutorial for bread baking because I get this question a.LOT. with my bread recipes. Coming soon!

20. Thanks for this blog, i thought this was a great read! I cannot wait to read much more of your incredible stuff very soon.

21. Lisa Garner says:

this makes 8?

22. lindsay says:

Brooke~ I made these last night and ran into a few issues but all in all they turned out great…. larger than expected and a little more dense than a typical Brioche. In your directions you say ” add as much flour as needed to make the dough pliable, it should stay quite sticky.” …. how sticky is sticky????? I found I had to add more flour than the recipe called for to get the consistency necessary for the buns to hold their shape once rolled into balls. I think the addition of the extra flour made then to dense. Any suggestions would help and also what is the approximate serving size for this recipe????
    Love your blog!!!!!

• Brooke says:

I have to constantly keep my hands oiled in order to work with this dough. Sticky means it’s holding together and is pliable, but if you push too hard, it’s going to smash on your hands.

You’re definitely right, the more flour, the more dense the final product. So add just barely enough flour to hold that dough in a heap, without over doing it. Hope that helps!

23. Marina says:

the best hambuger buns ive ever made, so delious.

24. diana nicol says:

At last a recipe which doesn’t require putting in the fridge overnight. Why do other recipes deem this necessary?

25. Sheryl says:

I mixed up this recipe today and beyond disappointed, as these were going to be my hamburger rolls for a Memorial Day cookout. I don’t know if there’s a typo with the amount of water that’s is added but my dough is watery! I’m so upset because I’ve made these before but lost my recipe and had to get online and search for another one! Very, very disappointed!

26. You really need to amend the flour amt. in this recipe. I used over 7 cups total, and I made and re made the buns 3 different times, because I tried to form them when they were too loose, but I had already went over the required flour. The buns turned out great, though, it was just very frustrating to keep having to add flour, thinking I was doing something wrong because it was so far above what you have in the recipe.