Nectarine Blackberry Slab Pie

Photobucket

Not so many words today. I can’t be responsible for upstaging this dessert. It would be tacky of me.

Photobucket

And, anyway. The only thing I have to offer in the way of words is an embarassing amount of gushing and a plethora of overused adjectives. Glorious, wonderful, delightful, divine, decadant, lovely, fantastical, mahvelous. I refuse to say anything of the sort. Because this baby doesn’t need an introduction.

Photobucket

She just needs your undivided attention. In the form of a fork.

Curtain Call.

Photobucket

Whole Wheat Vanilla-Bean Pie Crust
Inspired by Dawn Viola’s prizewinning vanilla bean pie crust, this recipe makes a gorgeous, flaky crust studded with the earthy flavors of vanilla and nutmeg, and spiked with a touch of lemon zest. Makes more than enough crust for a pie or two. Which is just perfect, because you’ll likely want to keep one and eat it for yourself.
2 c. whole wheat flour
2 c. white flour
3 sticks butter, chilled
2 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
Seeds of 1 vanilla bean
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
zest of 1 lemon
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 egg
1/2 c. ice cold water
In a large bowl, stir the flours, sugar, salt, vanilla bean, and nutmeg and lemon zest together. Use a fork to blend the butter into the flour mixture, creating a mixture that resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, combine lemon juice, egg, and water. Pour liquids slowly into flour mixture, stirring gently with a fork until the mixture begins to follow it around the bowl. Turn dough out onto a non-stick or silpat mat and knead several times. Roll out thin and press into a cookie sheet or refrigerate until needed.
Nectarine Blackberry Slab Pie
I’ll be honest. This recipe started out as a slab pie, but I didn’t have the heart to wrap the edges of the pie crust up over that gorgeous fruit filling. Seriously, what sort of icy-fingered baker do you take me for? Covering up blushed orange nectarines and plump rounds of blackberries. Nope. Couldn’t do it. So, we ended up with a galette-ish, tart-ish cookie pan full of pie bars. Anyway, what’s in a name? When you taste this summery concoction, you’re mouth will be much too busy humming with joy to call it anything at all.
1 batch of Whole Wheat Vanilla-Bean Pie Crust, prepared
12 oz. cream cheese
2 eggs

3 T. sugar
Juice of 1/2 lemon
4 nectarines, pitted and sliced thin
2-3 pints blackberries
1/2 c. peach jam
1/2 c. honey
Press the prepared pie crust into the bottom of a large cookie sheet. Tightly cover any unused portion of the pie crust dough and store in the fridge up to a week. In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, egg, sugar and lemon juice. Spread the cream cheese mixture over the pie crust. Generously spread sliced nectarines and blackberries over the cream cheese mixture. In a small, microwave-safe bowl, heat the peach jam and honey together until warm. Drizzle generously over the top of the pie. Bake in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 24-27 minutes. Serve warm with a heap of vanilla ice cream or allow to cool and serve topped with a dollop of whipping cream.

Congrats to Camille from MAKE IT WORK MOM!
You’re the winner of the Cheeky Kitchen Birthday favor bag. Send me your info and it’ll be in the mail a quick as you can say nectarine.

28 Responses to “Nectarine Blackberry Slab Pie”

Camille on June 6, 2010 at 9:56 pm Reply

No WAY! How did you know it's my birthday?? (in a couple of days anyway) THANKS!

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro on June 6, 2010 at 10:38 pm Reply

What a beauty! Come over and make me some? Please? OK, thx! You're a doll. ;-) [K]

Lesley on June 7, 2010 at 6:29 am Reply

scrumptious…..it was the word of the day on Sesame Street today…and I think it fits nicely here….or in the immortal words of Rachel Ray…YUMMO…..

koralee on June 7, 2010 at 7:38 am Reply

Oh my this is beyond words..just found your blog and I see this delightful yummy dish!!!!.. I am off to see what I have been missing by reading some of your past posts..thank you for making my heart happy this morning. I WILL BE MAKING THIS VERY SOON! Off to follow you. xoxoxoxoo

I run for cake! on June 7, 2010 at 10:54 am Reply

This pie looks amazing! Love the fruit combination!

a. maren on June 7, 2010 at 11:22 am Reply

i am so intrigued by your whole wheat vanilla bean pie crust! can't wait to try it!

Carmie on June 7, 2010 at 1:12 pm Reply

Am I missing the instructions for the crust? Anyone else? The tart looks beautiful!

Cheeky Kitchen on June 7, 2010 at 1:20 pm Reply

Whoops! Thanks, Carmie!

They are there now. :) Enjoy!

Carmie on June 7, 2010 at 1:25 pm Reply

Thanks! I will try it for Father's Day I think. Hopefully we will have nice nectarines by then!!

KPackard on June 7, 2010 at 1:32 pm Reply

I don't want to be a pest, but the title says blueberry…

It looks beautiful and delicious! And so prefect for summer! Love those peaches!

Kristen on June 7, 2010 at 2:22 pm Reply

What a delicious creation! Perfect for summer.

Maria on June 7, 2010 at 2:24 pm Reply

This dessert screams summer!

wenderly on June 7, 2010 at 7:19 pm Reply

Talented and clever you are! Love your take on the post, and the pie looks to die for!

Daydreamer Desserts on June 7, 2010 at 8:53 pm Reply

OK now that this pie has my complete and undivided attention… when's the pty? I'll bring the ice cream. :)

Denise @ Creative Kitchen on June 7, 2010 at 9:01 pm Reply

This looks divine!! Pie crust is something I haven't tried since switching over to freshly ground whole wheat flour. This crust sounds like it's worthy of my time, and I'm not a pie crust type of person. I'm bookmarking it now! Thanks for sharing.

smalltownoven on June 7, 2010 at 10:01 pm Reply

So beautiful!

WizzyTheStick on June 7, 2010 at 10:18 pm Reply

It really is a beautiful pie deserving of all over used adjectives:-) Yum

Donna on June 8, 2010 at 3:53 pm Reply

Love your blog.

i have given you an award, you can find it over at my blog:

have a great day. donna

Heather on June 8, 2010 at 8:14 pm Reply

I love everything about this recipe but I especially love the whole wheat vanilla bean pie crust! Wow Brooke!! Love it and can't wait to try all of it. I see you still have cream cheese on the mind too :)

marla {family fresh cooking} on June 9, 2010 at 7:33 am Reply

Very nice job with this fruity slab pie. The blackberries and peach jam are calling out to me….so is that crust!

Sue Sparks on June 9, 2010 at 8:39 am Reply

Deliciously gorgeous! This screams "summertime!"

betchacanteatjustone on June 11, 2010 at 2:13 pm Reply

What a beautiful looking dessert…infused with summer goodness! :)

Eliana on June 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm Reply

I would probably nix the fork and eat this with my hands. Looks amazing.

Cookin' Canuck on June 14, 2010 at 12:39 pm Reply

This recipe just screams "Summer". I appreciate that there is whole wheat in the crust. What a beautiful way to show off this pretty fruit.

Lynne @ Cookandbemerry on June 14, 2010 at 10:24 pm Reply

I saw your photo on TasteSpotting and it stopped me in my tracks. WOW!

Anonymous on June 15, 2010 at 3:14 pm Reply

I made this recipe over the weekend and it came out great! It was enough to feed 20 people!

I did catch this one thing while I was making the filling. You forgot to say how much sugar goes into the cream cheese mixture. I added 1/4 cup and that seemed fine.

The whole wheat vanilla bean crust was super easy and super yummy. I may have to adapt it into other recipes too. Thanks!

-Emily

Carmie on June 19, 2010 at 1:08 pm Reply

Is 1/4 C. sugar about right for the filling? I want to make this tomorrow for Father's Day.

Carmie on June 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm Reply

What size cookie sheet are others using to make this? Made it for Father's Day and loved the crust, but had to cook it longer to get it done enough. Pieces in the middle were a tad soggy–not sure if I did something wrong or it was pan size. Was the cream cheese filling spread quite thin? It might have been my fruit. I definitely will try it again, but I guess I want it perfect. :) My guests loved it! Thanks!