Nectarine Mango Salsa

Photobucket

As I was searching my computer files for the details of this recipe, I noticed a saved Word document entitled “Demonic Black Plauge.” Now, I dont’ know about you, but anytime I see an unfamiliar word doc titled such, I’m one thick moustache and a bit of chest hair away from being a regular Magnum P.I. I clicked on that file. I wanted to see what it was. Needed to understand what in crimeny sakes it was doing on my computer.
Was it a virus? Was it a hacker? No. The threat did not come from foreign intelligence. It is, apparently, the title to my tweenager’s latest story, which begins with this title page: “The Demonic Black Plague: This Is Not Your Regular Plague.”

Page two reads like this: “It was a regular da–”

At this point, the black plauge (which is, apparently better than–you know–the regular plague), appears to have reached through the computer screen and sucked the story from the fingers of it’s wise author because that’s all that has been written about The Demonic Black Plauge.

Such irony. Such profundity.
How is one to think about salsa recipes when pondering the depth and breadth of demonic black plauge? We may never kn–

Photobucket

Nectarine Mango Salsa
This is not your regular salsa. Tangy with the hint of fruit. Ideal on chips. Perfect over pork chops. Superb atop grilled chicken. Way, way better than the demonic black plauge or, you know, regular plagues, for that matter. If you like fruit salsa’s, you will love this recipe almost as much as I love my wonderful, storytelling son. {Note to son: I sure love you, buddy! Keep up the great writing!}
½ Large Vidalia Onion
4 Nectarines, pitted and sliced
2 Mangos, peeled, pitted, and sliced
2 large tomatoes
4 limes, freshly squeezed
½ c. cilantro
2 T. sugar
½ fresh jalapeno, seeded
1 tsp. salt
Place all ingredients in a blender. Puree until your favorite consistency is achieved. Serve with tortilla chips, over grilled chicken or pork chops, or over steamed sticky rice. Store, well covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.

What’s your favorite fruit salsa & how do you serve it?
I’d love to know all your salsa secrets! I’d also love it if you’d VOTE for Cheeky Kitchen over at Scholastic’s Parent & Child Blogger Awards. Voting closes June 4th and I need all the votes I can muster. It’s super simple. Just click HERE, find CHEEKY KITCHEN, submit your vote, and you’re done! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! (In return, I will wish away all plagues and plauges from your house forevermore. ;)

19 Responses to “Nectarine Mango Salsa”

Melanie on June 2, 2010 at 11:10 pm Reply

Ha ha ha, I thought you were going to go into a discovered recipe for blender black bean soup, an experimental flop by my mom when I was in High School. But yummy salsa works too :)

I got the picnic basket today, and we have big plans already! Thanks again!

Laura on June 3, 2010 at 9:04 am Reply

I love Trader Joe's peach salsa. I can eat a whole jar in one sitting. Plus, it looks great with their blue corn chips.

Swanky Taco Tuesday on June 3, 2010 at 12:42 pm Reply

I just voted for you – good luck! Your salsa looks divine!

Aimee @ Simple Bites on June 3, 2010 at 7:51 pm Reply

Good Luck!
    It's fantastic that you were nominated, though…

Love this fresh salsa. My mouth is watering.

Kristen on June 4, 2010 at 6:40 am Reply

Hehehe…. I hope tweenager someday comes out of the plague and re-visits the story. I'm intrigued!
    And this salsa? Girl…. YUM!

DK on June 4, 2010 at 10:26 am Reply

Hello I just stumbled upon your blog today. It looks like I have found another blog to follow. Yikes how many good blogs are there out there? I have an amazing fruit salsa recipe.

Pineapple Papaya Salsa

Yield 2qt.(2L)
    3 tomatoes
    1 pineapple,fresh
    1 papaya, fresh
    1 bunch green onions sliced
    1 bunch cilantro chopped
    2 jalapenos, seeded, minced
    3 tbsp lemon juice
    1 tsp garlic, chopped
    2 tsp salt
    1. core and dice the tomatoes.
    2. peel and dice the pineapple.
    3. peel,seed and dice the papaya.
    4. combine all ingredients and chill well.

We eat it with taco chips or on fish or chicken. I love this stuff. Enjoy!

memoryminded on June 4, 2010 at 6:10 pm Reply

Your salsa looks Heavenly and counterbalances the talk of demonic plagues quite well. Thank you for the blender idea. I don't always work that smart in the kitchen!

Phantom12345 on June 4, 2010 at 7:59 pm Reply

Wow I am famous but not in a really good way, I should have known how to spell plauge oops I mean plague. I love you mom, and I will tell you when I get the story done if I ever do so that you can show it to your visitors. I LOVE YOU! And the salsa looks great!

Mary on June 5, 2010 at 11:18 am Reply

What a lovely salsa. I found your blog by chance and had intended to say hello and then move on. I, instead, began to read your earlier posts and was hooked. I stayed much longer than I planned and really enjoyed my visit. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro on June 5, 2010 at 12:40 pm Reply

Thanks for the Twitter follow! Lovely site – and great salsa! Have a lovely weekend. [K]

Leah on June 6, 2010 at 5:43 pm Reply

I love all the fun kinds of salsas. I have a black bean salsa with pineapple I just love for the sweet and savory flavors. Secret…a bit of cumin.

Check it out! http://beyerbeware.blogspot.com/2010/04/leftovers.html

quickmealhelp on June 6, 2010 at 6:38 pm Reply

Mmmm, nectarines & mangoes — two of my favorite fruits in one awesome salsa. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous on June 8, 2010 at 10:15 am Reply

Awesome salsa. Made it last night and put it on our fresh swordfish. So good! Just found your blog. Enjoying it very much :)

14. Pingback: Well of Health » Seasonal Fruit Friday: The Nectarine

Mi Lapan on April 21, 2013 at 1:02 pm Reply

Black beans are one of the best foods for your health, your budget, and your waistline. This article will give you a comprehensive introduction to the nutritional value of black beans, along with easy to follow preparation directions that will make you a black bean whiz in no time. Read on to learn the facts about dried and canned black beans, and cooking tips so that you can be sure your black beans will be mouthwateringly plump and tender every time. With so many health advantages to eating black beans on a regular basis, you’ve got plenty to gain from making black beans a part of your regular kitchen repertoire.-

Remember to view this useful web portal

16. Pingback: Jeobox – 22 Fabulous Fruit Salsas

17. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!

18. Pingback: 22曲の素晴らしい果物サルサ | やっぱり痩せるには食事変えなきゃ!簡単美味しいヘルシーレシピ大公開。夏まで5キロ!

Veronica on March 25, 2014 at 5:22 pm Reply

hello小樺,I want 高木直子. I’m a friend of Chan Ning. Please sell it to her. I’m going to ask her send me some other books as well. Oh, I lived in New York :)Please let me know if I win the bid. Email: chan3378@yahoo.comThanks!