Cherry Limeade Bars

Photobucket

It was three o’clock two Thursdays ago. The sun was high and hot, leaving us only one thing to do with ourselves…Cherry Limeade’s at Sonic. Pulling into the parking lot, I shifted the car into neutral, rolled the windows down, and turned the radio up. A waitress on rollerskates brought us cups heaped high with pink soda. My seven-year-old sat in the front seat, nodding his head to the beat and sipping deeply from his straw. His legs dangled over the edge of the seat, and I had no choice but to fall madly in love with the afternoon.

Someone ought to bottle the magic of Cherry Limeade moments, I thought.

Since I don’t have a soda bottler at home, I figured baking it into cherry red and lime green custard bars might be equally delightsome.

Turns out, it is. Just look at those pretty little dessert squares. They’ll make your shoulders shimmy to Katy Perry. They’ll make your head nod to Ella Fitzgerald. They’ll take any hot summer day and make it simmer with edible enchantment.

No sipping required.

Photobucket

Cherry Limeade Bars
Tangy and sweet, a twist on the classic lemon bar, these easy dessert squares simply scream summer. A light, buttery crust is cooked with a thin layer of maraschino cherry puree, then topped with a lime custard. These little treats are just as refreshing as a tall glass of limeade. You’re going to love them.
1 c. flour
½ c. butter, softened
¼ c. powdered sugar
Dash of salt

6 oz. can maraschino cherries , undrained
½ Tbsp. cornstarch

3 eggs
1 ¼ c. sugar
3 Tbsp. flour
¼ c. key lime juice *
Green Gel Food Coloring
In a large bowl, combine flour, butter , powdered sugar, salt and flour until well mixed. Press into the bottom of a 9×9 inch baking pan. Pour the entire, undrained can of maraschino cherries into a blender, add cornstarch and blend until well chopped (but not pureed). Using a spatula, carefully spread the cherry mixture over the crust mixture. Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
In a large bowl, beat together remaining ingredients. Pour over cooked crust & cherry mixture. Return to oven and bake an additional 20-25 minutes, or until the mixture has set. Allow to cool completely before cutting into bars, garnishing with powdered sugar, and serving to your favorite people.

Photobucket

Been to Babble lately? Don’t miss my recipes for
Snickers Salad, Healthy Mac & Cheese, & Blueberry Cutie Pies

42 Responses to “Cherry Limeade Bars”

sara on July 25, 2010 at 9:58 pm Reply

Gorgeous! Almost too pretty to eat.

jksfam on July 25, 2010 at 10:10 pm Reply

Wow! Those look AMAZING!!!

Camille on July 25, 2010 at 11:19 pm Reply

Leave it to you to throw a creative twist on a summer dessert. :) Even after overdosing my gut on my parents' birthday cake tonight, these still look good!

♥peachkins♥ on July 25, 2010 at 11:45 pm Reply

Oh these are gorgeous!

jelena on July 25, 2010 at 11:58 pm Reply

i agree…the colors are sureal ….we eat with our eyes also…

Tiffany on July 26, 2010 at 7:14 am Reply

This look delightful! I made your s'mores pie yesterday for a party and it was fabulous… and now I am eating the Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies. Thanks, you rock!

Helen Ellis on July 26, 2010 at 7:31 am Reply

Delish! And the colors are vibrant. A perfect addition to our annual Christmas party!
    Thanks,
    Helen

Lora on July 26, 2010 at 8:10 am Reply

just fantastic. Love the colors and the flavors…

Katie @ goodLife {eats} on July 26, 2010 at 9:06 am Reply

you are a genius!

Eliana on July 26, 2010 at 10:44 am Reply

These look simply perfect. I especially love the bright color contrast. So much fun :)

Anna on July 26, 2010 at 11:08 am Reply

These look so pretty! I've been trying to figure out a way to clean out my maraschino cherry stash (I don't like them, but they're so cute, I keep buying them). I'll have to make this for work, I'm sure they'll love them. Thanks!

Jill on July 26, 2010 at 11:09 am Reply

Your website isn't working right. If you click on the link it takes you to some sight called "Go Daddy.com" just thought you might like to know.

Marci @mission getting healthy on July 26, 2010 at 2:54 pm Reply

Love Sonic cherry lime-aide so I am sure I will love these. Can't wait to try them.

simplysandi on July 26, 2010 at 3:25 pm Reply

So amazing!

Swiggy on July 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm Reply

Just wanted to give you a heads up – your contact tab is not working.

kel on July 26, 2010 at 4:07 pm Reply

OMG I am a cherry limeade addict! I have to make these!!!

Michelle on July 26, 2010 at 4:17 pm Reply

I am making these and I was wondering if there are three total cups of flour in the crust or if the last cup is meant to be something else? Thanks!

Cheeky Kitchen on July 26, 2010 at 5:29 pm Reply

Michelle-
    Thanks for asking! I just revised the ingredient list, having mistyped it when I first uploaded it. Sorry!

There is a single cup of flour in the crust. That's it! Enjoy!

Shaina on July 26, 2010 at 9:20 pm Reply

I love it! I adore limeade, especially the flavored varieties at Sonic, and these look absolutely dreamy.

Susan from Food Blogga on July 27, 2010 at 6:45 am Reply

Those are positively psychedelic!

mangiabella on July 27, 2010 at 9:25 pm Reply

*bashfully raising my hand* ~ guilty as charged, i am a closet cherry limeade indulger (is that a word?) – this is a must for my next camping trip *wink*

the sleepy time gal on July 28, 2010 at 1:31 pm Reply

so i just discovered your blog and am in LOVE!!!!

Allison on July 28, 2010 at 4:57 pm Reply

These were easy and very good, but not quite limey enough for my taste. Next time I'll either reduce the amount of cherry or add more lime.

Mary on July 28, 2010 at 5:14 pm Reply

These are amazing. I've never seen the likes of them before. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

Anonymous on July 29, 2010 at 8:03 am Reply

How did you get them so green? I made them (and loved them), but they didn't turn out bright green. Did you add food coloring?

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} on July 29, 2010 at 10:25 pm Reply

Oh these are so pretty :)

bridget {bake at 350} on July 30, 2010 at 6:20 pm Reply

These immediately made my mouth water! Great idea!!!

Suzanne & Andrew Dupuis on August 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm Reply

I am making these RIGHT NOW! A little worried about the liquid of the cherries! … seemd a bit watery when I poured them on to the crust! I guess we will see shortly! Thanks for the creativity!

Suzanne & Andrew Dupuis on August 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm Reply

Suzanne & Andrew Dupuis on August 1, 2010 at 3:23 pm Reply

Suzanne & Andrew Dupuis on August 1, 2010 at 4:02 pm Reply

Ok… not sure what I did wrong… followed perfectly… NO LUCK… they are very runny.

Suzanne & Andrew Dupuis on August 1, 2010 at 4:02 pm Reply

Suzanne & Andrew Dupuis on August 1, 2010 at 4:02 pm Reply

apparentlyjessy on August 1, 2010 at 10:07 pm Reply

Yep! I am SO bookmarking this recipe to try when summer comes around, I cannot wait for it this year!

Diana on August 5, 2010 at 11:38 pm Reply

I just made these and they are de.lic.ious! There is nothing better than a cherry limeade on a hot day. I can't wait to take these to a dinner party this weekend. I am sure they'll be a hit. Thanks for the fun and yummy twist on a summer favorite.

VICKI IN AZ on August 6, 2010 at 6:28 am Reply

My daughter and I made these yesterday. ♥ ♥ and ♥ Thank you for the recipe! We had fun making them and I had fun serving them to the people I love on my ME cherry saucers! ;)

I am making them for a wedding reception tomorrow.

You are amazing.

The Cooking Photographer on October 13, 2010 at 7:44 pm Reply

I should have known these were yours! I was looking up cherry limeade bars and saw this beautiful photo on Tastespotting.

I should have just gone straight here!

Hope all is well your way.

Laura

Tabriah on August 2, 2011 at 7:02 pm Reply

I made these this weekend for my daughter’s 2nd birthday – Cherry Limeade theme…anyway, they were fantastic! In fact, they were almost all gone before we did the cake and other desserts. They were the hit of the party!! I wll certainly be making them again! Thank you!!!!!

• Brooke replied: — August 3rd, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

So glad they worked for you!

39. Pingback: Summer Sippin’: Cherry Limeade Bars « Life As I See It

Lenora Athan on May 12, 2013 at 6:57 am Reply

GoDaddy was founded in 1997 as Jomax Technologies by Bob Parsons, a veteran of the United States Marine Corps. Prior to GoDaddy, Parsons sold his financial software services company, “Parsons Technology, Inc.” to Intuit. The sale provided him with several millions of dollars in the mid-1990s. As a result, Parsons decided to retire. In 1997, Bob Parsons came out of his retirement to launch a new company, Jomax Technologies which later became GoDaddy Group Inc.`,

My own, personal online site

Dilip on March 25, 2014 at 2:31 am Reply

Oh yeah, I really like these Lisa and the exnetded branch works so well too. They are all so perfect I couldn’t choose a favourite…each colour way suits the sentiment so well :0)Jenny x