Perfect Whole Wheat Pie Crust & Homemade Pop Tarts

Photobucket

Say what you want about the state of the American government. Over the years, I’ve heard a plenty of good and bad from both sides of the fence. Elephants wagging their trunks against Democrats. Donkey’s kicking conservative Republican ideas with a hefty “hee-haw.”
It doesn’t matter which breed of voter you declare yourself to be, you’ve gotta love Michelle Obama’s declaration to fight against childhood obesity. It just so happens I adore her desire and drive to help our nation raise a healthier generation of kids. Food is so important. Good food and healthy bodies are even more so. Hurrah for a good woman using her voice to campaign for something so important. Hurrah for healthy children.
So, with my passionate testimonial officially in print, I do so hope you’ll be willing to forgive one small matter. It is the matter of what we had for breakfast this weekend. It had a rich, buttery pie crust, and sweet strawberry filling. It was glazed with shiny, pink frosting and topped with rainbow sprinkles. Of course, the crust was made with whole wheat flour. The filling made with fresh, organic berries. The frosting conjured with nary a drop of high fructose corn syrup. Homemade Strawberry Poptarts. Good heck. They were good. In fact, they were so good, they inspired my summer-riddled children to stop arguing for a moment, and gather together around the kitchen table in lip-licking peace and quiet.
Come to think of it, I ought to start a campaign of my own. I’ll call it the “Let’s Eat Homemade Poptarts for Breakfast” Movement. Just imagine…Brothers and Sisters, Madonna and Gaga, Leftists and Conservatives dining peacefully together over pink-iced Poptarts and tall glasses of cold milk. I suppose an attempt at world peace is just part of the everyday life of a food blogger.
Me and Michelle Obama, changing the world one bite at a time.

Photobucket

Perfect Whole Wheat Pie Crust
I’ve tried a lot of whole wheat pie crusts in my day. I’ve yet to find a whole wheat pie crust that bakes up soft and flaky, without adding a thick, grainy whole wheat flavor. Until now. I am finally and most officially ready to declare myself entirely free from plain old pie crust. Because this recipe is the ideal combination of butter and whole wheat, creating a pie crust that is perfectly flaky, mild-flavored, and easy to work with. Come, bake, be amazed. You truly won’t believe how incredible whole grains can be until you’ve baked them up in a pie crust such as this one.
1 C whole wheat
1/2 C white flour
2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
½ c. cold butter, sliced
4-5 Tbsp. cold milk

In large bowl, stir together flours, sugar, and salt. Cut in slices of butter using a pastry cutter (or fork, if you have to) until the largest pieces resemble peas. It’s important that you don’t touch the crust with your bare hands, no matter how tempting that mixing option might be. You want the butter to stay as cold as possible and your hands will warm it up and make the crust less flaky. Pour the milk over the mixture, one tablespoon at a time, just until moistened enough to hold the dough together. Use a fork to stir the dough after you’ve added each Tablespoon of milk. Quickly form the crust into a ball. Refrigerate until ready to use.

CLICK HERE to find my Fresh Strawberry Pop-Tart Filling & Pink Icing

recipe only at The Family Kitchen on Babble.com

41 Responses to “Perfect Whole Wheat Pie Crust & Homemade Pop Tarts”

jelena on July 19, 2010 at 2:35 am Reply

well for the beginning I am sending our support from Serbia for anything homemade and healthy…great idea…

♥peachkins♥ on July 19, 2010 at 3:31 am Reply

Gorgeous!

cookies and cups on July 19, 2010 at 6:01 am Reply

I have been wanting to try homemade pop tarts for a while now ~ and yours look so great! I say it's homemade..and whole wheat…that's healthy, right?!

Tickled Red on July 19, 2010 at 8:33 am Reply

:O…I am honestly dumbfounded. That is one amazing pop tart!! I will never hear the end of it now from the monkeys when it comes to "No Pop-Tarts…they are bad for you!".
    Thanks darlin' :)

Kristen on July 19, 2010 at 12:51 pm Reply

What beautiful pop tarts!

brannyboilsover.com on July 19, 2010 at 2:35 pm Reply

I made whole wheat brown sugar poptarts once :) I find the crust is even better when you use whole wheat pastry flour.
    Great photos!

Jennifer on July 19, 2010 at 3:40 pm Reply

So cute!!! and healthy to boot!

Hello My Name is Katie on July 19, 2010 at 9:36 pm Reply

this is genius. yum.

SweetThingsTO on July 20, 2010 at 7:12 am Reply

I'm totally in for that movement! Great idea!

Sue Sparks on July 20, 2010 at 2:45 pm Reply

A "MUST MAKE" that's for sure! Thanks for the great recipe! They even look better than the original:)

Sherry on July 20, 2010 at 9:20 pm Reply

it says " t." throughout ingredients.
    is this referring to tablespoons or teaspoons?

SLCFoodie on July 21, 2010 at 4:42 pm Reply

I've been wanted to try homemade pop-tarts ever since seeing them in Food & Wine magazine! Your whole wheat version sounds perfect.

marla {family fresh cooking} on July 21, 2010 at 6:15 pm Reply

Perfectly stylish and fabulous pop tarts! You go girl, change us for the better one bite at a time. These are gorgeous……I can only imagine the flavor! xo

smalltownoven on July 22, 2010 at 6:34 am Reply

I usually shy away from whole-wheat things because of the grainy texture and flavor they offer. I'll try this one out since you give it such rave reviews! And I really have to try making my own pop tarts. They're so adorable!

bridget {bake at 350} on July 31, 2010 at 5:21 pm Reply

These are the most gorgeous homemade Pop Tarts I've seen! And whole wheat, too! I'm sold!

Grace on August 27, 2010 at 9:43 am Reply

Oh my word. These pop tarts a amaaaaaazing. I made them for breakfast this morning and I have honestly never had something that yummy for breakfast. They really should be a dessert.

candace on October 5, 2010 at 10:29 pm Reply

I just tried this crust recipe for chicken pot pie pockets! I omitted the sugar and added 1 tsp celery seeds to the flour mixture. It was delicious!! Thanks so much!

shannon on November 26, 2010 at 4:38 pm Reply

I used this recipe for all of my Thanksgiving pies. Every year for the last 8 years I have made homemade pie crust and this is the first recipe to meet my standards for flakiness and flavor. WHAT A GREAT RECIPE!! The wheat gives this dough a nice nutty flavor. I found that I needed between 5 and 7 tablespoons of milk (I used raw milk) to get the dough to come together. Also I put all the ingredients and cooking tools (my stainless steel bowl, pastry blender, and fork) in the freezer for about 10 minutes before using them. Once I got the dough to just come together it went back into the freezer for about 5-15 minutes prior to me rolling out. I think that this is what kept the dough from getting too tough. I think I will be baking pies all throughout the year now that I have finally found a crust recipe I like :)

19. Pingback: at-home culinary delights south of the 38th parallel | God in Your Carry-on

Olive on June 25, 2011 at 7:25 pm Reply

You got me at “perfect”, I’m going to try this pie crust today. Thanks so much for sharing!! :) Your poptarts are so cute btw :)

21. Pingback: Cooking it up!! « Seedybeans Blog

22. Pingback: at-home culinary delights south of the 38th parallel « katagirl

23. Pingback: Whole Wheat Pie Crust « My Kitchen

Angela on December 9, 2011 at 4:38 pm Reply

My Brother has decided that everything he eats has to be whole wheat and I have been looking for a whole wheat pie crust recipe for quite some time. It looks like I have FINALLY found one that will work! I plan to try it today! Wish me luck with his mince meat pies.
    In case Sherry never got an answer to her question (which I seriously doubt) lower case “t” stands for teaspoon. Uppercase “T” if you ever see it stands for tablespoon.

blackbird on December 25, 2011 at 11:32 am Reply

How much does it make?

Marilyn Barnes on March 11, 2012 at 10:35 pm Reply

I tried this recipe and they are to die for really sweet and good for one’s sweet tooth.Would definitely recommend this recipe!!!

ATasteOfMadness on May 29, 2012 at 10:48 am Reply

Wow, these look fantastic! I`ve been looking for more recipes with whole wheat flour. I`m sold, I love it!

28. Pingback: 10 Whole Wheat Baked Treats | Yummly

29. Pingback: gah, it’s monday «

30. Pingback: fourth of july | pulascia

31. Pingback: Food Trend: Homemade Pop Tarts | RecipeLionBlog

Nate on August 31, 2012 at 11:40 am Reply

We featured this great recipe in our Food Trend Friday blog post. Thanks for all of the great recipes. You can check it out here:

Joy on September 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm Reply

How many calories for the whole recipe?

Michelle on September 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm Reply

How many calories per serving?
    How many servings does the recipe make?

35. Pingback: Tropical Fruit in the North East | Veggies n' Dogs

36. Pingback: Baked Fall Empanadas « Cooking Healthy, Living Lovely

37. Pingback: Pinktober Pie: Slice for the Cure | Calendar Cakes

Erika on August 11, 2013 at 2:54 pm Reply

I’m sorry to bring this up, but this not a whole wheat pie crust. As soon as you add any white flour, unless whole white wheat flour, you’ve abandoned the whole wheat title. Whole grains and whole wheat should never be confused with partial ingredients. This should be called a “Wheat Pie Crust”.
    Now as a homemade product, I give you thumbs up because it does not include corn syrup of any kind. However, again I temper my enthusiasm, because sugar, especially refined sugars (and white flours) are not good for anyone. Of course the kids loved them, because it still contains highly addictive ingredients. And those ingredients still cause many health problems those of which could be resolved by eating a lot less of them. And if we changed our ideas on nutrition we could possibly solve the healthcare problems and not have to reform anything. It would reform itself. I agree that we need to pull away from eating all these processed products, but I encourage you to take it one step further. You started a good journey, just keep educating yourself, because you will find even more.
    “Those who control the food and water, control the world.”

39. Pingback: at-home culinary delights south of the 38th parallel | fiat lux

Kristi on February 7, 2014 at 11:23 am Reply

How many Pop Tarts does this recipe make???

41. Pingback: Make Your Own (Healthier) Pop-Tarts « Canadian Family