Creme Brulee French Toast

Photobucket

Do you ever just stop in your tracks for no reason at all and take in your life? I did that the other day, over breakfast. I use the term “over breakfast” loosely. Though it was technically breakfast time, it’s not like the family was gathered Norman Rockwell style around the kitchen table. Rather, at the moment when I stopped and looked–just really just looked–at my life, two children were spooning breakfast onto their plates…while standing on skateboards. (One was wearing a helmet, I will have you know. Kitchen safety is of utmost importance in this here house of ours.)
One child was laying on the table. Don’t worry about rereading that sentence. I typed it correctly. She was laying ON the kitchen table, with bed headed hair and a chihuahua on her chest. What of the other kid? He was flopping around the floor in boxer shorts with nary another shred of clothing on his bare body.
So there I was, standing still as can be, looking at this life of mine. Looking over rumpled hair, and modge-podge breakfast plates, and a wild chihuahua on the table. Taking in the way crooked smiles framed little mouthfulls of lost teeth. Studying the spiraled belly button of a tweenaged kid who once I carried in my own belly. Listening to the lilt of chittering, giggling, teasing. And, the thought I had in that instant–in that very instant–was, “What a delicious life.”
And really, it is. Boxer shorts at the breakfast table, and all.

Photobucket

Creme Brulee French Toast
Last month, while spending a couple of days with the Thermador company in Arizona, I ate creme brulee for dessert two days in a row. Have you ever heard anything so ridiculously amazing? Two days of creme brulee. The first time was at a fancy restaurant. The second after an incredible lunch prepared by the Thermador Test Kitchen’s Chef Kyle, who willingly shared the recipe for his sweet, simple, lick-the-spoon-worthy creme brulee. Three days later I was back in my own kitchen, facing a barren pantry. There wasn’t much in there, but we did have several thick slices of stale french bread. I wondered what would happen if I adapted Chef Kyle’s creme brulee batter, making it part of a baked french toast dish for breakfast. The results were pure perfection (in a taste sense, not a diet-conscious one). The creme brulee batter, with it’s thick egg yolks, soft brown sugar, and pure white whipping cream baked into a sweet caramel-flavored custard around the bread. We served it with fresh berries, but a warmed puree of frozen raspberries will work just as nicely. My seven year old would also add that this breakfast is especially nice when eated on a skateboard. At the kitchen table. In a helmet. Shirts optional. Chihuahua required.
6 egg yolks
2/3 c. light brown sugar
2/3 c. heavy whipping cream
6 fat slices of day-old french bread
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the egg yolks, sugar, and cream into a blender. Blend until well mixed. Prepare a deep baking dish with a thin layer of non-stick cooking spray. Place french toast pieces into the bottom of the baking dish. Pour egg mixture over the top of each slice of toast, making sure to cover them all very well with the the egg mixture. Place baking dish in oven, and bake uncovered for 40-45 minutes, or until the caramel is bubbling and the edges of the bread are slightly browned. Remove from oven and spoon hot french toast onto plates. Serve with fresh raspberries, or heat and puree 1 cup of frozen raspberries for a fresh-tasting syrup that compliments the caramel flavor beautifully.

Photobucket

Wishing You a Delicious Morning.

22 Responses to “Creme Brulee French Toast”

mangiabella on August 8, 2010 at 11:19 pm Reply

a delicious morning indeed! this looks so incredibly decadent and would be absolutely perfect for a luxurious breakfast in bed surprise!

♥peachkins♥ on August 9, 2010 at 12:58 am Reply

OMG! I shouldn't have seen this. Not until my diet is over! I'm going to bookmark this and do this the morning right after I end this diet..hee

Taylor on August 9, 2010 at 7:46 am Reply

I always have intentions to make yummy breakfasts on the weekend but it never seems to happen! This recipe is one reason to make the time for it…yum!!

Aiming4Simple on August 9, 2010 at 7:54 am Reply

Wow. This looks amazing. Found the recipe via Food for My Family. Yeah, we're gonna have to make this soon!

Cupcake Activist on August 9, 2010 at 10:40 am Reply

Yummy! Surprisingly, the recipe looks easier than I thought. Looks like I'll be making this soon.

Aileen on August 9, 2010 at 2:19 pm Reply

This looks amazing! Your photography always blows me away too! I officially put this on my "things to do" list for the weekend. :)

Tawny on August 9, 2010 at 5:01 pm Reply

your french toast looks great! i'm excited to try it!

Jennifer Hepler on August 9, 2010 at 6:54 pm Reply

wow-weee! Looks super. All of your recipies are great and make me want to wear an apron and heels, but alas I too, have a wee one who rolls around beneath my toes!

Mod Podge Amy on August 9, 2010 at 7:07 pm Reply

Yummeh. I really want this.

Susie on August 9, 2010 at 8:11 pm Reply

That looks soooooo good!! I am bookmarking this one!!

Kim (Liv Life) on August 9, 2010 at 9:51 pm Reply

Oh my does this look good! I love brulee anything. My daughter just asked if we could have this for breakfast tomorrow!

Kristen on August 10, 2010 at 6:14 am Reply

Your breakfast scene sounds oh so familiar! I wish this french toast was in front of me for real right now. How delicious!

SweetThingsTO on August 10, 2010 at 7:39 am Reply

oh my… I'm drooling, what a combo… what's next Tiramisu french toast? Ooohhh that would be good too!

Anonymous on August 10, 2010 at 8:42 am Reply

ok, you are adorable but i already knew that by your piper jane comment over at reagansblob when you called her a HONEY BOAT. that is officially part of my vocabulary going forward. as is your delicious blog. you're a doll.

Eliana on August 10, 2010 at 2:03 pm Reply

I'm going to be the ultimate queen at my house when I make this for my husband. Can't wait. Thanks so much for sharing.

Adri on August 10, 2010 at 7:32 pm Reply

The recipe looks tasty, but it isn't as wonderful as your LOVELY thoughts on life. Beautiful.

Creative Cupcake Recipes on August 12, 2010 at 3:15 pm Reply

This french toast looks amazing. Now I know what I am making for Sunday breakfast. thanks for sharing thsi great recipe.

Liese on August 12, 2010 at 5:11 pm Reply

I have been so excited to make this all week that I planned a breakfast night with some friends. I am making this and everyone is soooo excited! I cannot wait to devour this!!

BS Recipes on August 19, 2010 at 12:12 pm Reply

Mine did not come out as good as yours looks. I don't know if the oven temperature was too hot or what but my bread was hard and dark dark brown. Also, were you supposed to let all the custardy liquid soak into the bread? I just put mine right in the oven and the middle of my french toast was still white. I need some help! It still looks so good!

Sew Fun! on September 11, 2010 at 2:28 pm Reply

heavenly! i always make thick "special" french toast for xmas breakfast…i want to make this so bad…looks delish! so, i am going to make a regular ole' Saturday morning special by giving this recipe a try!
    xo

Licette on May 20, 2012 at 7:15 pm Reply

I decided to start actially making the timings I pin, and this was my first breakfast! Served with egg whites, and chicken apple sausage. Everyone loved it. Thank you for sharing.

Gretchen Hayduk-Wroblewski on June 14, 2012 at 9:53 pm Reply

Brooke,
    What a delight to read your blogs–I feel like I cracked open a door in my own house that I didn’t know existed and peeked into a parallel universe (though my kitchen table is clogged with art supplies and science experiments). Oh, and very much by the way, I like your recipes, too–but so much more in the context in which you place them. Bravo for putting life first!