Red Velvet Bundt with Come-To-Mama Cream Cheese Frosting

Photobucket

Sometimes I just don’t know what I was thinking. After all, what-in-the-name-of-all-that-is-holy would inspire a person to combine two sticks of butter and a whole packet of cream cheese, fluff it all together with powdered sugar and vanilla beans, then frost it in thick, fat petals atop a red velvet bundt cake?

Today is not one of those days, because I know what I was thinking. I was thinking, I shook my Choco-Choco tail feathers off in Zumba today. That’s what I was thinking.

I was thinking that folding laundry, and carpooling the kids to babysitting jobs and opthamologist appointments, and putting away dinner guest dishes, and writing 15 articles for SheKnows, and posting a marvelous recipe for today’s Family Kitchen post, and organizing back-to-school gear, and not turning steam-red when our kitchen table was nicely decorated with acrylic paint during a haphazard summer project, and tucking in button-nosed children after 10 ‘o clock baths and a day full of thunderstorms seems like a lot to do in one day without chocolate.

I was thinking–after a day like today–flowers are nice, but frosting petals are a girls best friend.

Dontchya think?

Photobucket

Read-My-Lips, It’s Bedtime! Red Velvet Bundt
Rich with chocolate, deeply ruby hued, this bundt cake bakes up thick and moist. A perfect canvas for the most ridiculously delectable cream cheese frosting I’ve ever created. Pipe it on that pretty cake using extreme generosity. Wear it like lipstick. Suck it off your fingers like a little kid. No matter how hard you try, you’re going to lurve this classy combination.
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 c. olive oil
1 package instant chocolate pudding
1 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. baking powder (double if baking at low altitude)
2/3 c. cocoa powder
1 1/2 c. flour
1 c. sour cream
½ c. water
1 c. mini chocolate chips
2 tsp. red gel food coloring
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, brown sugar, and olive oil, and instant pudding mix, creaming until very well mixed. Add salt, baking powder, cocoa powder, and flour. Beat just until incorporated. Add sour cream and water, and beat again just until incorporated. Fold in mini chocolate chips, then scoop batter into a bundt pan which has been generously greased and floured (use cocoa powder, instead of flour, for a nice chocolatey finish to the outside of your cake). Bake in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or just until the center part of the cake ring springs back to the touch. Watch your cake closely! You don’t want to overcook it! Once cooked, wait for the cake to cool to the touch before turning it out onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool, then cover tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge overnight before frosting.

Come to Mama Cream Cheese Frosting
2 sticks butter
8 oz. cream cheese
3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Seeds from ½ a vanilla bean, scraped
¼ tsp. almond flavoring
1-2 Tbsp. milk
In a large bowl, beat together butter and cream cheese until very light and fluffy. Slowly add powdered sugar until well mixed. Add vanilla bean seeds and almond flavoring. Tip in a Tablespoon or two of milk, if needed to make frosting piping consistency (soft but not drippy). Spoon into a large plastic zip-top bag. Snip a 1-inch hole in the corner of the bag and pipe giant frosting petals onto cooled cake. Enjoy!

Wanna See This Cake’s Big Sister?
CLICK HERE to see how I turned this recipe into
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bundt Cake with Nutella Buttercream

{premiering Wednesday at noon, EST on The Family Kitchen}

20 Responses to “Red Velvet Bundt with Come-To-Mama Cream Cheese Frosting”

Sarah on August 3, 2010 at 11:30 pm Reply

That icing looks soo yummy! I had a yummy one I used from a cookbook but it wasn't as fluffy as yours. It doesn't look like you finished the directions for it though. I assume it's just all mixed together, but wasn't sure.

Teresa on August 3, 2010 at 11:43 pm Reply

OH!
    I hate it when that happens!
    I hate it when I PASS the HECK out when I POP over and feast my eyes on a hu-mon-gus GLOB of CREAM CHEESE FROSTING like that!!!!!
    That CAKE…and that FROSTING…are without a doubt the most delectable things I have seen in quite a long while!
    Oh ME!
    Oh MY!
    I do know that was SOME kind of GOOD!
    I do wonder how you PILED up all that FROSTING in that perfect puFFy petal!
    You are FABULOUS!
    ANd I absolutely DO adore your personality!
    Keep on SHININ' sweetpea!
    xoxoxo

Lilly Higgins on August 4, 2010 at 4:21 am Reply

Ha! Come to Mamma Cream Cheese Frosting! So funny, i love the names of your recipes, it looks gorgeous too! I love the combination of red velvet cakes with cream cheese, deeelish! x

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE on August 4, 2010 at 6:42 am Reply

It looks intense! I will have to try this very soon!

Lesley on August 4, 2010 at 8:05 am Reply

MUST…..HAVE…..CAKE…..NOW….

Sue on August 4, 2010 at 8:59 am Reply

Looks gorgeous, and oh, so inviting! :)
    FYI…your link to the chocolate bundt cake didn't work.

Jinjer on August 4, 2010 at 11:55 am Reply

I really want to make this RIGHT NOW!! But what if I don't have any red gel food coloring, just the liquid stuff?

Christine on August 4, 2010 at 12:07 pm Reply

Your recipes look so super scrumptious all the time! Because of this I'm giving you an award on my blog tomorrow! Come by and pick it up!

oneordinaryday on August 4, 2010 at 1:55 pm Reply

Oh, mercy! That frosting is amazing!

mangiabella on August 4, 2010 at 8:25 pm Reply

fluffilicious!

Pam on August 5, 2010 at 9:44 am Reply

I'm new here and see there are many great recipes. This cakes looks sinfully delicious!

Jen T on August 5, 2010 at 5:25 pm Reply

amen!

Jas. on August 8, 2010 at 11:31 pm Reply

oh my!

Anneke on August 9, 2010 at 9:54 am Reply

I made this cake this weekend and oh my gosh it is goooooooodd. Raving reviews.

Anneke

Anonymous on August 12, 2010 at 11:03 am Reply

Oh, it even has chocolate chips. Mmm, I want a bite!!

bridget {bake at 350} on August 15, 2010 at 2:30 pm Reply

"Come to Mama"….I ♥ that!!! And OH MY, does it EVER look delicious!

Erin on November 11, 2010 at 11:00 pm Reply

Ohmigosh. Red velvet in bundt form?! Seriously havoc on my diet, I am making this tomorrow, no questions asked. Looks completely perfect!

Kristen on July 8, 2011 at 5:44 pm Reply

O.M.G…. I must admit I used a boxed cake mix for the red velvet because I had it on hand, but made this frosting and it is TO DIE FOR… come to mama frosting. I’ve made it twice now and it is very, very important to set your cream cheese and butter out for an hour or so. Consistency just wasn’t the same trying to soften in the microwave because the butter fully melted. Thanks for my new go to frosting recipe!

Stacy on April 17, 2012 at 10:03 pm Reply

What size instant pudding packet did you use?

20. Pingback: The Best Red Velvet Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting - What Katie's Baking