Asparagus & Green Bean Fries

I believe in veggies.  I do not believe in fried foods.  But is it hypocritical of me to split the difference and say I believe in fried veggies?

Well, of course it is.  But, that’s me to a T.  A born and bred fence sitter.  I have the complete inability to make up my mind in any direction at all.  Whether it’s which candy bar to call from a vending machine (I always just push one letter then close my eyes and hit as many numbers as possible and see which candy bar the fates select for me.  It’s easier that way.) or how I feel on the topic of fiscal spending.  I’m a real wreck when it comes to hard core decision making.  Help me please.

To practice being firm, determined, and totally opinionated, I’ve decided to take a stance on the topic of fried veggies.  I like them.  I like them a lot.  They wish no ill upon mankind, look cute in a cup, and taste like a dream wrapped in ranch dressing.  If I had to vote between fried veggies and the Wednesday morning Boot Camp class at the YMCA, I’d definitely take fried veggies. Period. The end. That.is.my.declaration.

I think.

Photo by John Fulton Photography

Asparagus & Green Bean Fries

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper
2 eggs
2 tablespoons milk
Fresh green beans, asparagus, or your favorite fry-able veggies
Oil for frying

Directions:

Heat an inch of vegetable or canola oil in a large saucepan to medium-high heat.

In one pie plate, whisk together the flour and salt. In a second, whisk together the eggs and milk. Spoon a tablespoon or two of the egg mixture into the flour mixture and stir it around a bit with your fingers until a few bloppy crumbs form in the flour mixture. Clean the veggies thoroughly, then dip them in the egg and milk mixture. Dip them in the flour mixture, then back into egg mixture, then back into the flour mixture. Place the batter-coated veggies into the hot oil. Fry until golden brown. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel and all any excess oil to drain from the veggies before serving.

A big ‘ol thanks to my brother-in-law John Fulton for sharing his beautiful pics from last week with Cheeky Kitchen.  You can see more of his great pics here.

18 Responses to “Asparagus & Green Bean Fries”

1. peachkins says:

what a great idea! I love green beans!

2. Stefania says:

Una deliziosa ricetta ciao

3. Katrina says:

This looks so good! I also sit on the fence so this recipe is perfect for me!

4. Parsley Sage says:

Oh man! When I’m in Dallas my mom always takes me to Love & War in Texas and we OD on fried green beans. Awesome that I can make them at home now! Thanks for sharing :)

• Brooke says:

No way! And I totally thought I’d made this recipe up. Glad to know I’m not totally crazy for thinking these are delish!

5. Jen says:

Here’s hoping this will be the final solution in the veggie war with my five-year-old. If so, you may just be my hero — fence sitting or not.

6. Colleen says:

Great. Now I am hungry again.

7. Dana says:

These make me think of tempura veggies from Japanese restaurants. Do you dip them in anything?

8. Renee says:

I love asparagus. And I love green beans. And if I were to fry them, I think I’d be in heaven. Thank you for this!

9. Oh my gosh, I just stumbled across your blog via Babble and this recipe looks killer… I too am a fence sitter, so therefore, I totally relate – And, appreciate :)

10. […] Asparagus and Green Bean Fries via Cheeky Kitchen […]

11. […] fun way to get you to take the ride!  All aboard! Baked Asparagus Fries (Serves 2) Adapted from Cheeky Kitchen […]

12. aanrechtblad says:

I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks

13. This is a wonderful article, So much info given in it, These type of articles keeps the users interest in the website, keep on sharing more… good luck.