Five things I’m digging today:
1) When 10-year-old Becca came downstairs for breakfast with hair freshly blown out and pink rouge on her cheeks. I once thought I’d hate to see my children grow up. Turns out, watching them step feet onto their own paths is breathtakingly beautiful.
2) Mumford and Sons. Can’t get enough.
3) Chihuahuas who curl their back around the edge of your hip while you fold laundry. Sorry, not for sale.
4) Weather warm enough for flip flops. Praise and glory hallelujah. Bring it on.
5) Scheming with pal Bethany to live together as old widows on an old plantation in Southern Georgia. “You can do I’ll the cooking, and I’ll just get fat,” she said. This along with our plans to hit up the New Kids on the Block reunion concert this summer may just be the highlight of my life.
6) Oh, I know I said five. But I’m all about extra credit. I made Scotcheroos. I can’t stop eating them. This is not something I’m proud of. But, goodness. They deserve an honorable mention.
What are you loving today?
Brown Rice Scotcheroos
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups crispy brown rice cereal (I love Erewhon)
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips
Spray a 9x9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray, set aside. Place the sugar and corn syrup into a large saucepan. Cook over medium heat and stir the mixture until sugar dissolves. Just as the mixture begins to boil, take it off of the heat and stir in the peanut butter. Stir in the cereal; stir well until well coated. Press the mixture into the prepared pan. Place the chocolate chips and butterscotch chips together in a medium, microwave-safe bowl. Microwave them just until melted. Stir together and spread over the cereal bars. Allow the chocolate to harden at room temperature before serving.