Cook Up a Mess with Clorox: Easter Sundae Cups

There’s this fantastically fabu online contest going on right now, and you’re going to want to join in the fun.  Clorox is sponsoring the Cook Up a Mess! With Clorox Clean-Up Cleanser, encouraging families to get in their kitchen, cook with their kids, and get messy.  Could there be a more delightsome thing to do this weekend?

To enter the contest, you’ve just gotta click here, submit a pic of you cooking up crazy fun with your kids in the kitch, and tell ’em about your experience. Easy! Tasty! Totally cool! There’s one catch…you’ve gotta do it THIS WEEKEND, because the contest ends in 3 days, on March 28th. So grab your kids, get messy, and win yourself a trip for 4 to NYC!

Inspired by the contest, we pulled together a few of our favorite friends, blew up a billion balloons, melted oodles of colorful candies, and put a springtime twist on Bakerella’s chocolate pudding cups. The kids drizzled and mixed and dipped teensy balloons into warm bowls of candy melts.  They ran rampant through the house as our chocolate bowls dried, then screamed like hyenas while the bravest of the lot popped the balloons with toothpicks, revealing pretty little pastel bowls.

And what else would you do with such a bowl that to fill it to heaping with vanilla bean ice cream, top with obscene amounts of whipping cream, and smother in enough sprinkles to choke a grown adult?  Well, I can’t think of a darned thing.  So, that’s what we did.

It was messy.  It was sprinkley.  But, gosh it was fun.  Uber thanks to Clorox for inspiring an afternoon of such delight (and for making it even easier to clean up!) Now get into your kitchen and do the same. Mouths full of smiles and a table full of confetti guaranteed.

Easter Sundae Cups

Ingredients:

1 pound pink candy melts
1 pound light blue candy melts
1 pound lavendar candy melts
1 packages water balloons

Directions:

Blow up the balloons. We thought they looked best when blown up into small, round balls. Wash and dry the balloons, then spray with a very light coating of nonstick cooking spray.

In three separate, medium glass bowls, melt the candy melts in the microwave according to package directions. Dip the balloons into the candy melts, then place them to dry on a large, flat piece of parchment paper. Allow the candy melts to harden completely in a cool, dry place (it took ours about an hour). Pop the balloons with a toothpick or pin. Gently pull the balloons from the candy cups. Discard balloons.

Fill the candy cups with scoops of ice cream, whipped cream, sprinkles, and a cherry (or strawberry Whoppers). Eat and enjoy!

Clean up with Clorox Clean-Up Cleanser. Phew.

22 Responses to “Cook Up a Mess with Clorox: Easter Sundae Cups”

1. Katrina says:

Those are so fun, cute and look great!

2. Tiffany Abbott Fuller says:

Oh my goodness, this is the cutest thing ever. Is it crazy that your blog makes me want to convince me husband that I’m ready to have children? haha! :) Keep the amazing ideas coming Brooke, and enjoy that precious family of yours.

3. marla says:

So fun Brooke!

4. Hilary says:

My cute girls and I are going to make these for our family Easter party! Super cute idea.

5. Katrina says:

I love this! I’ve done this before to make chocolate cups. Getting messy is so fun!

6. Love this! What an adorable little creation with candy melts! Love all your vibrant photos with the kids, so much fun!

7. Jenni says:

O.M.G – seriously, bottom left cutie-patootie looks sooooooo much like you. And she has PERFECT teeth.
    I always wanted a girl… I got two boys lol. And I’m not trying again! It looks like a blast!!

• Brooke says:

LOL! I belong to all of the kids in those pics, except two…including that adorable little, perfect-toothed angel. Of course, she’s so dang cute, I might just keep her. Now that I know she looks like me, I’m going to call her mom and tell her she should just me mine. Love those best friends my kids have found! Love ’em!

8. Jessica says:

My toddler is going to love this. Mixing craft-time with baking. Thanks!

9. Those look like so much fun! I like the pastel colors.

10. Danielle says:

I love this idea! I was brought here via The Crafty Crow. Love your blog and can’t wait till your kids cookbook is available!

11. Jenny Flake says:

Absolutely adorable!!

12. I love chocolate cups! They are great! i made some for st.patricks day!

13. Jenni says:

Errr, I fail on identifying your kids lol. But since I don’t really know you, I think it’s excusable. (If you ignore the fact that I could look in your banner and plainly see that one isn’t up there!) It’s weird though, she really has your smile! lol. I’m just going to move along now aheh, heh, ahhhheh… awwwkkkward :D

14. tam says:

this is so very cool!!!! this would be an amazing idea for our son’s wedding rehearsal dinner … plus of course for my teenagers and grandbabies!!! thanks for the idea and hope you win the trip to NYC!!!

15. kristin says:

I just love this!!

16. […] want to make these chocolate cups for dessert sometime- I think the kids would love them!  Thanks Cheeky […]

17. Kendra says:

Brooke – I just tried this and my balloons popped with wet chocolate on them! Now I have chocolate in my hair, on my clothes, on my floor, on my counter – everywhere! Nothing unusual about that though. : ) I just need to use the Clorox wipes!

Did you use a certain brand of water balloons? I’m thinking mine are the cheapo kind and they broke way too easy. I did have another bag of 7″ balloons and they are working fine but I really like the size of the water balloon. I guess our bowls will just be a wee bit bigger. I doubt if I’ll hear complaints from the kids on that.

Love this idea and everything you can put in them! Thanks for sharing!

Kendra