Lemon Shallot Baked Salmon

I have this sign that I penned several months ago. It’s a reminder for my kids of how to pack a healthy snack. I pasted the paper on our cupboard one day after those precious children of mine polished off and entire box of Little Debbie Swiss Rolls. Why or how we had a package of Little Debbie Swiss Rolls in the pantry is entirely beside the point, because they weren’t there long enough to count anyway.

The episode enangered me to the point of pulling a Sharpie viciously from the junk drawer and scribbling in trembling script “How.To.Pack.A.{REAL}.Snack.” And, okay. Maybe I pushed the cap of the marker back on with the force of a thousand thumbs. And okay. Maybe I tacked the paper up very, very, very hard while pursing my lips with wild ferocity. And okay. Maybe the whole idea was born out of crazed mania after seeing my children’s cheeks puffed with cake, lips coated in chocolate and cream.

Yeah, yeah. It wasn’t the greatest mothering moment because, as it turns out, eating a whole box of Little Debbie snacks isn’t so much of a sin that a good night’s rest can’t steal the sugar-rush away from tender eyes. But it WAS enough of a naughty moment to inspire the “Pack a Snack” paper which has hung with stalwart pride on the cupboard since that day.

Until today when I realized it was probably time to give that note a makeover. It’s a great little list. But would benefit greatly from a makeover stemming from kindness and love and strawberry kisses. ┬áSo as I’m pulling it down, I realize. Maybe you would like a copy of that note, too. Would you? Because sometimes I think you just stop on over here for recipes and whimsy, and maybe wouldn’t be the least bit interested in printable lists and notes and ideas for kitchen organization and recipe philandering and child snacking.

But if you ARE interested. Well, then I’d love to know. Because, while I’m revamping the “Pack a Snack” sheet, I’m more than happy to share it with you.

Because, you never know when your own children will sneak into the pantry and eat themselves and entire pack of Swiss Rolls. Heaven help us all.

To combat such a choice…salmon. For you. For me. For all of us who are sick of sugar and Swiss rolls and standing in the kitchen over a pot of spaghetti. Time to switch it up.

And…please don’t be like me and forget to bake your salmon on parchment paper. No one deserves to scrub a baking sheet for fifteen minutes straight. Except maybe Little Debbie. Dang that woman and her boxed pastries.

Lemon Shallot Baked Salmon

This recipe, paired with the Mustard-Roasted Potatoes and Spring Salad is positively perfection. It's simple to toss together, light and tasty, resplendent with the flavors of clean and nice. And, if you don't think clean and nice are flavors, then just try this recipe and prove me wrong.

Ingredients:

1 pound wild caught salmon
1/4 cup olive oil
zest of 1 lemons
1/2 shallot

Directions:

Preheat oven to 500 degrees. In a blender, combine the olive oil, lemon, and shallot. Blend until pureed completely.

Place salmon on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the lemon-shallot sauce over the flesh of the salmon. Sprinkle generously with sea salt and freshly-ground pepper.

Bake in preheated oven for 13-17 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when touched with a fork. Top with Creamy Herb Dressing. Enjoy!

23 Responses to “Lemon Shallot Baked Salmon”

Katrina on April 28, 2011 at 10:52 pm Reply

Shallots add such a unique flavour to dishes like this. Cool recipe!

Donna on April 28, 2011 at 11:34 pm Reply

I would love to see your note. I have a bad habit of occasionally writing notes in the heat of the moment. Everyone’s favorite: “don’t open this lid if you can’t completely close it” taped to the lid of the flour container. It’s long gone but will live in infamy.

Meggan on April 29, 2011 at 6:54 am Reply

I want to see your note. When I asked my almost 2 year old what she wanted for breakfast this morning she smiled at me mischieviously and said, “a cookie.” We need the note.

Meghan @ Cupcakes with Sprinkles on April 29, 2011 at 8:29 am Reply

Salmon is my favorite fish. I am always up for a new recipe. Thanks!

Shawnda on April 29, 2011 at 9:19 am Reply

I love the simplicity of the flavors.

Debby on April 29, 2011 at 11:14 am Reply

While I still can’t love fish no matter how many times I try, I would love to see your snack list! ANY encouragement for my kids to select healthy snacks would be fabulous! I’m sure anything you create will be beautiful too! I can’t wait to see it. :)

Robyn | Add a Pinch on April 29, 2011 at 2:12 pm Reply

I absolutely adore salmon and can’t wait to try this recipe. It looks out of this world yummy.

• Brooke replied: — April 29th, 2011 @ 7:10 pm

Thanks, Robyn!

Kendra on April 29, 2011 at 2:58 pm Reply

My whole family loves salmon so we’ll have to try this out. I would love your list of healthy snacks too. Can never have enough lists!

Melissa Vannoy on April 29, 2011 at 9:11 pm Reply

“been there – done that” (episode of fury over bad snack eating habits w/children) would LOVE to learn more about your “Pack a Snack” for my kids – and myself! thanks for sharing!

cooking rookie on April 30, 2011 at 11:46 pm Reply

It’s so fresh and beautiful! A wonderful meal :-) Whenever I bake fish it turnes out too dry. But I never use high temperature. I need to try your method with 500F oven, maybe that’s the secret :-). Thanks for the recipe!

marla on May 1, 2011 at 6:58 am Reply

Wild salmon is my favorite food on Earth. Other that layer cake ;) Lovely Brooke! xo

Becky on May 1, 2011 at 10:23 am Reply

I would love to see the note. I love salmon. The first time I meet my last roommate she cooked up some salmon. It was delicious. I don’t know how she did it but it sounds a little bit like this recipe.

Vanessa on May 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm Reply

I am ALWAYS interested in your parenting tips, kitchen organization and “Healthy Snacks” secrets. SHARE AWAY! Love you, Brooke.

Jeanette on May 1, 2011 at 2:40 pm Reply

What an easy healthy salmon recipe, great for a weekday night!

Anna on May 1, 2011 at 5:59 pm Reply

this looks amazing! and i would definitely love to see your healthy snack tips – for myself (who could conceivably consume an entire pack of swiss cake rolls) and because i am a nanny, and sometimes those kids go nuts on the gogurt/pretzels/whatever! those aren’t quite so bad as swiss cake rolls, but i think i can do better. with your help. :)

Maggie on May 2, 2011 at 8:46 am Reply

Could I make this with a cod filet? I’m just trying to use the fish that’s on sale this week at the market!

Lucy on May 4, 2011 at 1:39 pm Reply

Love how simple this is. Anything with lemon zest gets me. I will definitely be trying this one.

• Brooke replied: — May 4th, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

So simple and splendid. I hope you love it as we do!

18. Pingback: DH, a Tree-Hugging-Hippie?? | RigdewoodMom's Blog

Nikki on June 1, 2011 at 10:24 am Reply

Would love to have printables from you!! ;O) Please share!!

Nikki on June 1, 2011 at 8:49 pm Reply

Made this delicious salmon tonight (minus the herb sauce b/c I ran out of time) and was literally applauded by the hubs!!! It was so easy and wonderfully delish!! Thanks for this great keeper!!!

Augusta on January 26, 2014 at 12:59 pm Reply

Yum – what a fantastic recipe! Looking forward to making it again soon and have shared it with friends.