Inside the Betty Crocker Kitchens

Last month I trotted myself over to Minnesota and spent two fabu days in THE Betty Crocker kitchens, located in the heart of the General Mills campus, right in the center of a very cold and chilly Minneapolis.  Day Two was set aside to film two videos for Bisquick (here and here), and Day One was filled with a behind-the-scenes tour of the facility. Want to see what it looks like to live with Betty?

The General Mills campus was massive. I had no idea. It’s clean and slick and well-organized and buzzing with some of the finest people I’ve yet worked with. Everyone was lovely nice. And talented. And nicely coiffed. They have a hair salon right there in the GM headquarters. Serious.

In fact, to celebrate the talent of the Betty Crocker employees and freelancers, the company hosts an annual art competition where participants are invited to submit photos of General Mills products used in clever ways.

Seriously clever ways.

Can you spot the fruit rollups? Clever, eh?

I got to walk through the Betty Crocker prop room, which is pretty much food blogger heaven. Can you imagine if you had all those plates…and bowls…and serving platters? That’s straight up nirvana right there.

Oh, and there are forks. Drawer after drawers of color-coordinated forks and spoons and knives. Red ones.

Green and yellow ones.

Blue. Blue. Blue and Blue. I’m trying to decide between nabbing the red drawer or the blue one. I think red.

After I came down from the Prop Room high, I joined up with the lovely Kristen Olsen, Food Editor and Betty Crocker celeb extraordinaire. Not only does Kristen have perfect skin, she’s talented in the kitchen, fabulous in red, you can also catch her in a new series of baking videos appearing on BettyCrockerTV. Oh, and she’s a beekeeper. How do you not love Kristen already?

Kristen and I cooked up a batch of Fluffernutter Cookies. They were ridiculously scrum.

Day two was filled with filming. The crew from Three Volts handled all of the dirty work. I’m really tempted to cut and paste the thesaurus terms for “incredible” here because that’s pretty dang much what they all were.  Business partners Jake Nyberg and Bill Prouty made the entire experience fun, fast, and entirely enjoyable.

I had me a lovely makeup artiste, Desiree.  She’s a cutie.

Des also happens to be girlfriend to this cameraman, Andre. I think they’d have absurdly cute children. Just sayin’.

And my favorite gal of the day was the food stylist. She had every step of every recipe prepared four times, on exactly the same plates, and laid everything out with such precision and care. I really need her in my kitch. Stat.

The day ended with pictures of the crew. Random things pictures. Apparently they do this after every shoot. Hilarious!

Then, I was off to meet up with another group of my favorite Minnesotans…

Shaina Banaina and her Food for my Family crew, including the infamous hubby Ole, who was actually crushing garlic when I arrived at their home. Yep. Crushing fresh garlic. With his bare hands. The rumors are true, people. Ole and Shaina are mad awesome.

Shain and I spent a handful of hours trotting around Mall of American (rollercoaster, anyone?) then headed over to Psycho Suzies for cheese curds and a lengthy midnight chat.  Yum.

I owe a HUGE thank you to Naomi Alford, the brains behind the whole trip, for inviting me to join her. Such a treat!

39 Responses to “Inside the Betty Crocker Kitchens”

1. Kendra says:

You were awesome!!! I can’t wait to try the shortcakes.

2. Liz says:

How exciting. I love their prop room! What a dream!

3. Colleen says:

The videos were so fun to watch! It’s obvious you had a BLAST making them! Sorry our weather wasn’t nicer for your visit…we have had an unusually cold spring. Must mean our summer will be fantastic! I have been meaning to go to Psycho Suzi’s. I’m putting it on my summer-to-do list!

4. Jessie says:

I have been following your blog for the last few months and I just have to say you are just too fun! :) Your videos were awesome and it was fun to see the woman behind the fabulous blog and tasty recipes!

• Brooke says:

Jessie, thank you. And I love YOUR blog. You are SO creative!!! My children would LOVE to have half of your creations. Adore!

5. Amy Allen says:

Did you pinch yourself a lot? I imagine, (after seeing your I can’t believe it’s not butter song and dance) that you are quite natural on camera and that it was a blast!! Our family was on a TLC home show last fall and it was maybe the most fun I’ve had in a long time. Of course we didn’t get paid for it, so that would just be icing on the cake. But my oldest daughters did get a really fun room makeover out of it and I got to eat catered lunch every day.

I can’t even tell you how happy I am for you. You are so uber talented and you deserve every bit of success and joy your are (hopefully) experiencing. Thanks for letting me/us come along for the ride.

6. First I was jealous of all the props, then I was jealous that you were at Psycho Suzie’s.

7. This sounds like an awesome trip! And all those plates?? Total heaven :)

8. Wow, that prop section might be my favorite part of this post, and I really could use my very own food stylist! That must have been so cool to see behind the scenes. I think I want a job there!! : )

9. Katrina says:

Very cool! Thanks for this!

10. LOVE that you called me during all this fabu fun and share all the joy. Hugs and Kisses to you, the BC stockroom crew (give them my addy) and to the Shaine/Ole clan!

11. Oh my…that is fantastic! An amazing time, I’m sure! Lucky! :-)

12. It looks as though you had a fantastic trip. That prop room is a thing of beauty!

13. What a fabulous trip! I don’t know if I would ever leave the prop room…amazing!! So many pretty things.
    Thanks for sharing your trip with us. So neat!

14. Jamica WIlcox says:

Oh, Brooke! This looks like a dream! Heaven. Heaven. Heaven. I’m so happy for you!!! (And I’m so happy for Betty Crocker….. I hope they know how lucky they are to have YOU!) xoxo

15. Amy Allen says:

Brooke-It was HomeMade Simple. I’m not sure that many people watch it in general, but it was fun.

16. Brooke,
    Just wanted to say hi and welcome you to the Platefull family. I fimed a video there in November and it was such an awesome experience. I loved Kristen and all the girls over there. Love your blog! Your video turned out awesome. I can’t even watch mine…I was so nervous…
    Christy Denney

17. Winnie says:

Wow how fun does this look?! Your videos are awesome and those props? Amazing!

18. Delishhh says:

WOW – so jealous. . .looks like so much fun. And all those plates and silverware. . heaven.

19. How FUN! Congratulations on your trip. I wonder if they would ever find me if I hid out in that prop room? That looks like a dream come true!

• Brooke says:

Seriously huh? It was like a dream come true. And all organized by colors! Gorgeous! The gal giving the tour said you’d be astonished because the Betty Crocker food stylists will literally walk into the room and know exactly which plate they want…or else, they’ll insist on purchasing a different plate because the prop room doesn’t have exactly what they are looking for. Wild!

20. Dez says:

Yay! These turned out so cute! Great job!

21. I just found your blog from MyBlogSpark..I took a survey on your bisquick videos ;) You did a GREAT job! I look forward to reading your blog

22. mel Tardy says:

just “stumbled” upon your bisquick video on another food blogger’s site and had to “cyber-hop” my way over to check out your blog. Lllllllooooovvvveeee it!!! Love the food, the kids, the video’s of your fancy-footed son and all your great ideas. Found myself a new regular spot to view! Thanks for all your work..

23. Jenny Flake says:

How fun Brooke! Love seeing your smiling face on the Platefull ads right now, hope they keep them running for a LONG time :)

24. Kristen says:

So much fun! You did a great job, Brooke!

25. Guadalupe says:

Maybe skelild to see but not skelild to eat.The red paste is really disgusting, makes me reckon of artificial pigments, aditives, and all kinds of chemicals. I would never place such things into my mouth.