Easy Hawaiian Kalua Pork

I’ve completed the FindYourSpot.com quiz no less than five times in the last two weeks. This middle season between winter and spring always makes me long for the romantic unknown. The life we should be living somewhere else, with great waving trees in the backyard and a kitchen full of natural light.

And, now Memorial Day is right around the corner, so I feel a grand desire to secure myself a new city. One in which parades are held, with toddlers waving flags, and neighborhoods gathering for great potlucks. Does such a place exist? Because, FindYourSpot.com assures me I’ll be at home in North Carolina. But, I don’t know. I really need your input here.

In the meantime, I’ll make your life tremendously easy by sharing a favorite feed-the-masses recipe, designed to make your Memorial Day festivities as simple, savory, and enjoyable as they ought to be.

Even if you don’t live in North Carolina.

Recipe for this perfect picnic pairing…a Fresh Corn & Cherry Salad with Cucumber Vinaigrette arrives later this week. Stay tuned!

Easy Hawaiian Kalua Pork

This easy take on Hawaiian Pulled pork is a simple, foolproof recipe. It cooks up tender and full of flavor every time and is a great way to serve a crowd of party goers without lifting even your little finger. Or your middle finger. But, you shouldn't be hosting parties that involve the middle finger anyway. So, scratch that.

Ingredients:

1 (6 pound) pork butt roast
1 1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian Sea Salt or coarse kosher salt
1 tablespoon mesquite liquid smoke flavoring
1/2 head cabbage, shredded (optional)

Directions:

Use a skewer to pierce the pork all over. Rub the meat all over with salt and then liquid smoke over meat. Place the roast in your slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 16 to 20 hours. During the last hour of cooking, add the shredded cabbage.

Remove meat from slow cooker and shred, adding drippings as needed to moisturize. Serve over mounds of sticky rice.

10 Responses to “Easy Hawaiian Kalua Pork”

The Café Sucré Farine on May 23, 2011 at 7:02 am Reply

North Carolina is an amazing place to live, close to the ocean, close to the mountains, spring comes in March and fall lasts into December! The pork sounds delicious! Will definitely have to give it a try, thanks!

Chelsea on May 23, 2011 at 8:05 am Reply

Great recipe, I HAVE to ask, however, can I PLEASE get the recipe for that salad? It looks FANTASTIC!

Katrina on May 23, 2011 at 10:46 am Reply

Cool dinner idea! I love seeing new recipes like this :)

Jamica WIlcox on May 23, 2011 at 11:48 pm Reply

hahaha!!! I’d love to be in your kitchen when you lift a certain fingers! :)
    Do you add any liquid at all? I’ve always had to add liquid with this recipe… maybe I’m cooking too high.
    Vermont or New Hampshire is my state. The 100 year old trees beckon me. But it gets pretty cold. Maybe we could vacation together in South Carolina. I’m itchy for a move too.

• Brooke replied: — May 25th, 2011 @ 12:35 am

Jame- It’s easy to overcook the pork because it cooks so long. However, a cup or so of chicken or veggie broth should do the trick! Good question my darling friend!

Robyn | Add a Pinch on May 24, 2011 at 7:10 am Reply

Oh yum!

Cajun Chef Ryan on May 31, 2011 at 6:58 am Reply

Aloha! And indeed, NC has the distinction of being one of the largest pork producing states in the nation. And it also lives up to the pull pork BBQ nation!

Bon appetit!
    CCR
    =:~)

Tracy on June 5, 2011 at 6:38 pm Reply

Is it really 16-20 hours?

patti on August 22, 2011 at 5:34 pm Reply

oh.my.lanta. just made this and the above salad. YUMALICIOUS!!!!

9. Pingback: Family-Friendly Summer Menu Plan 7/8/12 | SugarFreeMom.com