Iced Lemonade

I emailed a friend a few weeks back with some questions. We hadn’t talked for a while and the questions were rather pointed, not to mention the fact that she lives in Germany, so I anticipated there’d be some sort of lag between our time zones and her response times and such.

Instead, she emailed a pointed, warm, thoughtful reply that begin with this:

This will not be eloquent, but a mumble jumble of what’s been going on. Think of it as if we were sitting down for lemonade catching up.

I wasn’t surprised by her graciousness. She has always been full of grace. I wasn’t surprised by her goodness. She has always been so good. But, I was suprised by the power of her little sentence, “think of it as if we were sitting down for lemonade…” In that very moment, sitting on a plastic-covered chair in my own kitchen, the miles between us were immediately eliminated. Once again we were sitting on a park bench in the Colorado sun, watching our toddlers chase around the playground, side by side soaking each other up.

It’s incredible, the gift of catching up with old friends. And new friends. And children. And sisters. And mothers. Sitting and sipping. The power of conversation weaving in and around and through you, knitting you together with words, lifting your hearts and tying them into a sturdy bow.

My own mother was in town for mother’s day and we caught up Sunday afternoon over iced lemonade. The sun was high and hot. The children had created little pods of blankets around the front lawn, inviting us to sit upon whichever we desired. What I wanted to say was I desired to sit upon none of them and save myself the grass-covered laundry that was sure to follow such a scene. But, I smiled instead, kissed their well-meaning foreheads, and sniggled in next to my mama for a cold drink.

Praise and glory lemonade. Praise and glory good friends. Praise and glory moms on the front lawn. The End.

Iced Lemonade

Ingredients:

7 whole lemons, with rinds cut off
2/3 cup sugar
3 cups ice
1 cup water

Directions:

Place the lemons, sugar, ice, and water into your Vitamix. With your blender on variable speed #1, begin blending. Quickly increase the speed then turn the blender to high. Blend until smooth. Serve immediately & enjoy, or pour into small plastic cups to make your own Iced Lemonade cups.

Congrats to Chantell Hammond of 365 Days a Mom for winning the spice cupboard organizers! Hugs to you, sweet Chantell!

26 Responses to “Iced Lemonade”

Jennifer (Savor) on May 9, 2011 at 4:22 am Reply

Happy Mother’s Day to a woman I love and admire!

• Brooke replied: — May 9th, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

Thank you so much, Jen! Right back atchya!

Karan on May 9, 2011 at 4:48 am Reply

Oh those look so good. Always wanted a vita mix but that was one item I never talked my hubby into.

It sounds like you hadf a wonderful Mothers Day. Treasure those type of moments. The little ones grow up way to fast. Mine are now becoming grandparents themselves. the years went by way to fast.

• Brooke replied: — May 9th, 2011 @ 10:07 pm

Thanks Karan! It WAS a lovely mother’s day! So incredible how quickly those babes of ours grow up!

Robyn | Add a Pinch on May 9, 2011 at 8:04 pm Reply

These look so refreshing! I could definitely use a big ole glass of these just about any day of the week.

Lucy on May 10, 2011 at 7:58 am Reply

Wonderful writing and I love the story. Sounds like an easy way to make good lemonade. Happy belated Mother’s Day.

Margaret on May 11, 2011 at 4:58 am Reply

I have (and LOVE) my vitamix…I’m trying this as soon as the kids get home from school. They love fresh squeezed Lemon Aid, but it takes a while to juice the lemons AND make a simple syrup. This sounds so easy and I know it will be a hit. Especially since it will be over 90 degrees today! Thanks!!

• Brooke replied: — May 12th, 2011 @ 1:25 am

Perfect! That’s exactly what inspired this recipe! And…amen! Love that Vitamix!

debbie on May 11, 2011 at 10:23 am Reply

this looks so cool and refreshing,, thanks for sharing.

Crystal @MrsHappyHomemaker on May 11, 2011 at 11:11 am Reply

This looks SO darned yummy! Printing it our for future use! Thank you! :)

Lorraine on May 11, 2011 at 12:14 pm Reply

I blogged your link here
    I am so looking forward to having a go at this. Thank you.

Michelle on May 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm Reply

I can’t wait to try this!

Where do you get your fun straws?

Jac on May 11, 2011 at 3:27 pm Reply

Yum!! So if u don have one? U juice the lemons and just put the juice in right? Not juice and squeezed lemons?

• Brooke replied: — May 12th, 2011 @ 1:23 am

Just the juice of the lemons. So, squeeze them, then toss all the extra parts. Good luck!

Brittany on May 12, 2011 at 10:04 am Reply

This looks awesome and I am normally not a fan of the heartburn I get from even looking at lemonade but I am going to have to try this for a graduation party I am throwing this summer. Thank you for sharing!

ctb on May 12, 2011 at 11:09 am Reply

Ooh that looks delish!
    No Vitamix here, but I’m thinking you could use supremes of lemon, rather than just juice…?

13. Pingback: Light and Fresh Summer Fare

Rob O. on May 22, 2011 at 5:08 pm Reply

I stumbled upon this just last night so I bought lemons during my weekly crack-of-dawn grocery this morning. These drinks were a perfect complement to splashing in the pool to cool off after washing the car and working on the neglected flowerbeds.

I just have a regular blender, so I peeled the lemons and dug all of the seeds I could find out. Then I just blended until smooth – about 3 minutes in all. I noticed that one seed got past me and ended up ground into the drink, but I don’t think anyone else caught that. And I used granulated Splenda instead of sugar.

• Brooke replied: — May 25th, 2011 @ 12:36 am

Fantastic!

15. Pingback: Super Slushy Lemonade at Bunchland

16. Pingback: Quench Your Thirst with this Classic Summertime Treat!

17. Pingback: Vitamix Recipes | The Handmade Experiment

18. Pingback: On My List: Summer Drinks : Oven Love

Georgina on May 24, 2013 at 11:03 am Reply

Wow, tasty! My new favorite drink!

Nicole on July 28, 2013 at 9:04 am Reply

I was wondering if you have to make this with a Vitamix blender or can I just use a regular blender?

21. Pingback: Summer Refreshers: Frozen Fruit Treats - PopBetty