Summer Chicken Salad with Avocados & Cherries

The mumbled voice of our gate attendent just called us to our seats and I’ve barely uploaded the recipe, let alone had time to tell you about the million magical things happening this week.

For starters, today is the day my very lovely husband and I celebrate our 15th anniversary. He’s totally outdid me this year on gift giving. I sulked about it last night, when what I should have done was tell him how totally splendid and thoughtful his weeks of preparation were. And how I adore him and his good heart. And how I am so grateful he’s there to get us out of fights, because I’m so good at getting in them. Whatever would I do without him.

Why is it that the very essence and passion and appreciation of my soul is so often clouded over with the worries of an insecure little girl. Am I not a woman? Do I not imagine myself one day being the sort that stands tall and looks people in the eye and smiles in the face of being totally out-given for anniversaries? Apparently, I’m still a work in progress.

Feeling so grateful for a man who loves this work in progress and is willing to walk alongside me for a good many years.

There it is, the final boarding call. So stories about my impending {ahem} 35th{ahem} birthday, and a splendid weekend in Estes Park with the family, and a week now being spent with Thermador in Arizona. Well…all of those will have to wait.

Now seating rows 15-19.

Summer Chicken Salad

Ingredients:

1 chicken breast, grilled
20 cherries, pitted and halved
1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
2 avocados, pitted and diced
1/2 cup greek yogurt
3-4 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
pinch of coriander
garlic salt to taste
fresh ground pepper to taste
a sprinkled of fresh chopped dill

Directions:

In a large bowl, stir all ingredients gently together. Serve on croissants, over lettuce, on toasted baguettes for a lovely summer meal.

15 Responses to “Summer Chicken Salad with Avocados & Cherries”

The Waspy Redhead on May 31, 2011 at 2:07 pm Reply

This looks amazing – the colors and different textures, wow! I would have never thought to try cherries & avocado together, but it sounds really interesting.

The Café Sucré Farine on May 31, 2011 at 2:40 pm Reply

Happy Anniversary to both of you! Yes, I aways say that a good man is worth way more than the proverbial pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! Wishing you many more happy years!

And as for your chicken salad, what a yummy combination! Looks like a fun and unique treat for a summer picnic!

lynn @ the actor's diet on May 31, 2011 at 6:15 pm Reply

i’ve used fresh grapes, dried raisins, and dried cherries in my chicken salad – but never fresh cherries! genius!

Carrie on May 31, 2011 at 8:04 pm Reply

I just love chicken salad and this sounds so awesome! To the store tomorrow for cherries. And Happy Anniversary! Have a great week in Arizona, what fun! – Cares

Katrina on June 1, 2011 at 5:27 am Reply

Great idea! So tasty.

anna on June 1, 2011 at 8:05 pm Reply

oh i am just getting on the chicken salad band wagon! cherries and avocadoes! blows my mind! congrats on your anniversary too!

SeattleDee on June 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm Reply

I almost made this chicken salad tonight… right up to the part where I reached for the cherries and found they had been devoured, every single one of them, sometime during the afternoon. Red grapes substituted, but I’m still frowning at the culprit who has no willpower. Next time it’s cherries for sure!

• Brooke replied: — June 3rd, 2011 @ 8:20 am

LOL! LOVE IT!

Jade C. on June 2, 2011 at 6:40 pm Reply

So, I made this tonight and it was wonderful!!! Super light and soooo yummy!! :) I did substitute dried cherries for fresh, but next time I’m at the grocery, I’m picking up a package of fresh just for this recipe!! Thanks so much for the inspiration!
    Jade C. @ Sweet Street

• Brooke replied: — June 3rd, 2011 @ 8:20 am

Ooooh! Dried cherries sound equally delightful! Beautiful substitution!

Jaime {sophistimom} on June 3, 2011 at 9:54 pm Reply

Ooh, yummy. You make really good chicken salad, I know that, because I have seen you whip it up from nothing in the fridge, and then knock my socks off with terrific flavor. I am sure this chicken salad is your best ever!

Okay, so are you getting recognized on the street now, cutie?? Every other blog I click on, I see your sparkling face.

Love you! And Happy Birthday!

Julie on June 5, 2011 at 7:04 pm Reply

Totally divine. Chicken salad needs to be rediscovered!

Natasha on June 6, 2011 at 12:08 pm Reply

What a great twist on the classic chicken salad, can’t wait to try it this summer!

Kristen on July 10, 2011 at 11:40 am Reply

I just made this and it’s delicious! The perfect lunch on a hot day. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any ripe avocado, but it was still yummy. I’ll definitely be making this again. Thanks so much for a great recipe!

• Brooke replied: — July 11th, 2011 @ 12:11 am

Oh good! I’m so glad it worked, Kristen!!!