Simply Perfect Hummus

There are nights when my hubby and I climb into bed and I can’t stop talking. Does this ever happen you? It’s like being hopped up on some conversation stimulant, your mind moving light speed, too many good things to say in a single breath. Or four. So you just talk.

On nights like these, my husband is very patient. I can see it as he bites his lips, blinks his eyes slowly. Is this for real?, I’m sure he wonders, whoever needs to talk this much before bed?

It’s not bedtime at all, but I feel so full of things to say I’m afraid you’ll be blinking your eyes and wondering what gives. Well, tough knuckles kitty. ‘Cause I’ve tried yoga breathing and self hyponosis, but it’s just one of those days. Lots to say, mind spewing forth all sorts of wonders. And maybe just generally spewing all sorts of nonsense, too. That’s how we roll around these parts.

Today is my husband’s last day on the job. For fifteen years, he’s taught religion classes to high school and college-aged kids for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Two weeks ago he tendered his resignation. Today is it.

People in our little circle have been going nuts. “The rumor mill is already going,” said one co-worker last week. I’m not sure what the rumors are, but let’s pretend they are truly delicious. You think of something scintillating and get back to me.

The main question we’ve been getting is, “so he quit the job, NOW WHAT?” and the answer is…we have no idea.

I’m a rational human being. I get that isn’t the sort of response you’d like to hear from two grown adults. But, it’s the truth. Kinda.

Actually, the more truthful answer is that we do have an idea. It’s kind of an energy, a feeling. A general push to do more, to grow beyond the box we’ve so long closed ourselves into. For the last fifteen years, my husband has taught the same curriculum over and over and over again. That’s a great thing for some people, I’m sure. But, for a guy as ravishingly capable as mine, it’s a quick way to get yourself stuck in a cycle of anti-growth. Sure, there were meetings that encouraged him to keep his teaching fresh and new. But, when everything is the same, nothing really changes.

Which is why we decided to change. We needed to jolt ourselves out of quasi-contentment and demand more of ourselves. There are dreams to chase and big things to tackle. There is expansion of the soul waiting to be tried on, a whole wardrobe of wonderment for our tiny little selves.

So, he quit. Resigned. Kick the job to the curb.

It’s been a great job, don’t get me wrong. But, when you stand back and determine that the direction in which you are heading isn’t anywhere near going toward the destination you desire, you have an obligation as the captain of your story to rewrite. To step off the path. To plant your feet on another one. To go, do, believe, and make things happen. Even if you don’t quite yet know what they are.

The budget is going to be tight. The laundry is going to be well caught up. The hubby and I are truly excited to renovate our lives from the inside out.

And it’s kinda fun to not care beans about what everyone else thinks. (Though I do hope the gossip gets juicy. That’s the very best sort.)

Plain and Perfect Hummus

If you're looking for a healthy snack on a budget, this olive oil infused hummus is simply divine. It costs less that $2 to make, and pairs perfectly with a slew of cut veggies. Of course, hummus makes a great canvas for all sorts of additional flavors: carmelized sweet onions, roasted red peppers, green chili's. But, I wanted to keep it simple this time. That said, there are a few teensy little twists to my recipe. The added clove of garlic, maple syrup, and lime juice add just a hint of flavor that really makes this recipe spectacular.

Ingredients:

2 cans garbanzo beans, drained
2 cloves garlic or 4-6 cloves roasted garlic
juice of 1 lime
splash maple syrup (about a tablespoon)
2 tablespoons tahini
good quality olive oil
salt to taste

Directions:

Add all ingredient to a food processor or industrial-strength blender. Being pulsing the mixture together and adding olive oil. Keep adding the olive oil until the mixture is smooth and pureed. Serve topped with a drizzle of olive oil and your favorite fresh-cut veggies, pretzel chips or pita chips.

COOL TIP: We LOVE serving our hummus with homemade naan, which makes for a fun activity for kids in the kitchen. I'll post a recipe for homemade naan soon! It's quick, easy, and absurdly good with this recipe!

19 Responses to “Simply Perfect Hummus”

Melissa on August 5, 2011 at 12:36 pm Reply

Growing up in Utah I know all too well how those gossip mills roll. I can only imagine what you two are up to ;).

The maple syrup is a yummy touch to that hummus. I cheat and buy store bought naan but I add some melted butter and heat it up in the oven to fake everyone out!

Erin on August 5, 2011 at 12:42 pm Reply

A perfect simple hummus!

Susie on August 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm Reply

I expect you and John will now purchase 2 new mopeds, you in front with your hair flowing freely, John with a great big grin on his face, following happily behind. You are two adventurous souls!
    p.s. the hummus looks delish.

Michele Brown on August 5, 2011 at 2:42 pm Reply

Very well said (written)! Cheers to you and John and your renovating from the inside out! Much love to you! You are definitely a mover and a shaker!

patti on August 5, 2011 at 5:49 pm Reply

yippeee- I have ALL these ingredients on hand!! hummus for dinner! :)

Kathleen on August 5, 2011 at 5:51 pm Reply

I adore hummus! Fab photos!

patti on August 5, 2011 at 6:24 pm Reply

p.s. I have been looking for a great homemade naan recipe! I have one, but it always turns out tough :( Please tell me I don’t need a tandoori oven to make yours!

Courtney on August 5, 2011 at 7:17 pm Reply

I can’t wait for the naan recipe. Congratulations to you and your husband on making such a huge life change. I hope you enjoy wherever your new path takes you.

kathy on August 5, 2011 at 10:03 pm Reply

You guys are amazing. I love your spirit. Everything you have said makes such perfect sense Brooke. Take your spirit to the wind and keep going. Heck, when you have love, family and inspiration there’s really no road bump in life that can stop you. Beautiful post. And that hummus looks pretty darn fabulous too. xoxox

Diana @ a girl, a dog and an oven on August 6, 2011 at 9:02 am Reply

Good luck to you and your family! I quit my miserable corporate sales job two years ago and went back to school. Now I’m a nurse, and I love it. Being happy with who you are and what you do is the most important factor in choosing a place in the world. I wish you all the best!!

• Brooke replied: — August 7th, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

I love this! Thank you so much for telling me. What a relief it is to know others have done similar terrifying things and survived!

Katrina on August 7, 2011 at 1:51 pm Reply

This is a really nice recipe. Love the maple syrup addition.

Lucy on August 8, 2011 at 8:27 am Reply

Oh, how I loved this line: “But, when you stand back and determine that the direction in which you are heading isn’t anywhere near going toward the destination you desire, you have an obligation as the captain of your story to rewrite.”

Congratulations to your husband for having the courage to fly free and chase whatever his dreams are.

Colleen on August 8, 2011 at 7:38 pm Reply

Oooh! A new adventure. That is very exciting.

And maple syrup in hummus… you have me intrigued. I would have never in a million years thought to add that.

14. Pingback: Recipe: Simple Hummus « Prim and Pauper

mahek on September 25, 2011 at 9:06 pm Reply

Hey
    I would love to try this recipe problem is that we do not get tahini paste here in India can you please tell me the recipe for the same…
    LOVE YOUR BLOG

Christian Friborg on November 20, 2012 at 11:02 pm Reply

I once ate in this Persian Restaurant and I tried hummus for the very first time. I didn’t like it that much though. I think I should try making my own hummus! Or try eating at another Persian restaurant.

17. Pingback: Artichoke and Olive Hummus | deux chicago

Theresa on October 28, 2013 at 10:50 am Reply

I made this over the weekend, it was delicious with warmed naan. I added 2 tablespoons of chick pea miso. Thank you for this wonderful easy recipe.