Lazy Day Beef Stew

I just almost started this blog post with “I.” But, I’m always starting blog posts with “I” and I think it’s time we focus on YOU for a minute. Because YOU are really something, you know that?

Well, you are.

You’re so thoughtful about all those people you love so much in your life.

You’re always going the extra mile. Putting that little touch of love into the things you do. For your family. Your friends. Your coworkers and neighbors and the sexy-hot man in your life. You’re just a notch above nice.

And still, you worry about what you’re not doing, don’t you?

You notice how the windowsills have a collection of dust. There are finger smudges on the fridge and those belated birthday cards you never wrote. There’s the book unread on your nightstand. Forty two stray hairs jutting all willygonger from your needs-a-shave knee.  Not to mention all the dreams. All the things you want to do but can’t find the time to squash into a Monday or Wednesday or decade and a quarter. All the things you think need to be done.

But you know what? You’re doing more than you think. The way you smile at the grocery clerk and ask him how his day is really going. The way you call your sister at bedtime just to check in. The roundness of your shoulders bent over a sink of dishes. The wink of your eye. The leaning into a conversation with friends old and new. It’s so YOU. And every time you lend YOU to anything there’s that extra zing of energy and love and goodness infused into this tired old world of ours.

Thanks, You.

I made you an easy dinner so you can spend the rest of tonight working on your dreams.

Just crock pot it an go make some more of that special YOU magic. All of us who know you simple can’t get enough of it.

Lazy Day Beef Stew

Oh, I know you already have an easy beef stew recipe, but mine is better. And it's easier. So let me treat you to the quickest comfort meal on the planet while you go do incredible things. 'Cause, you know...you really are just splendid.

Ingredients:

2 pounds stew beef
1 small bag baby carrots
3 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
8-10 red potatoes, quartered
1 onion, quartered
1 pouch au jus gravy mix
2 pouches brown gravy mix
1 pouch ranch dressing powder
3 cups water

Directions:

Toss everything in your crockpot in the morning. Stir until well mixed. Set slowcooker to low and walk away.

Serve 8-9 hours later with hot biscuits, rolls, and giant spoons.

17 Responses to “Lazy Day Beef Stew”

Bev Weidner on September 14, 2011 at 6:49 am Reply

This is FANTASTIC. Or wait, *I* am fantastic. Or wait, *YOU* are fantastic.

Or wait.

Aw hell, this is all FANTASTIC!

Trinette on September 14, 2011 at 6:50 am Reply

Wow! Just what I needed on this chilly/rainy day…..Thank You!

Jessica on September 15, 2011 at 11:04 am Reply

Yum yum yum! I have beed WAITING incredibly impatiently for stew weather, and you just made my day. Now I am waiting impatiently for dinner time….thank you!

Susan on September 17, 2011 at 6:01 pm Reply

You DID start this blog post with “I”! LOL

• Brooke replied: — September 18th, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

I know. (winky, winky)

5. Pingback: A little guilt, a lot of taste | Smart Living Blog

Kayla on September 19, 2011 at 4:21 pm Reply

“Serve 8-9 hours later with hot biscuits, rolls, and giant spoons.”

Yet clearly in your [rather delicious looking] photos, there is a fork! What gives with that? ;)

Awesome recipe, I’ll definitely be trying it.

Tripmommy3 on September 21, 2011 at 12:30 pm Reply

Made this last night with buttery biscuits and a buttermilk garden salad…it was a HUGE hit! Great recipe!! Thanks

Cindy on September 23, 2011 at 11:18 am Reply

I must admit, combining all those packets did not sound very tasty to me. But I made the stew just as written and it is very good. Thanks for the recipe.

Valski on September 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm Reply

Finally got to make the stew! What a hit with the family! I love that I just threw it in and was able to get all my Saturday chores done without worrying about what we were having for dinner! Thanks for such a great recipe!

Sara on September 24, 2011 at 9:41 pm Reply

I would never have thought to put ranch into my stew! Must give it a try!

sarah on February 25, 2012 at 9:09 am Reply

Can you just use ranch dressing in the bottle? and poutin gravy mix?

12. Pingback: currently « Mr.C & Me

Kerstin Minehart on August 14, 2013 at 5:51 am Reply

Beef muscle meat can be cut into steak, roasts or short ribs. Some cuts are processed (corned beef or beef jerky), and trimmings, usually mixed with meat from older, leaner cattle, are ground, minced or used in sausages. The blood is used in some varieties of blood sausage. ..”-

Good day
    <http://www.musclerelaxers.co

Briana Cosentini on September 15, 2013 at 4:05 pm Reply

I was actually wondering how many people this could serve? (:
    I was planning on making this for Christmas Eve dinner. We would be having six people at the dinner table. Would you recommend doubling the recipe in that case?

Jennifer JG on January 12, 2014 at 3:11 pm Reply

I stumbled upon your blog while looking for a good recipe for beef stew. I found it here but the bonus is that what you had to say BEFORE the recipe kicked in. It really spoke to me. I do so much but never feel as if its enough. I too, look around at all the things that need to be done and every little thing that is out of place but gosh darnit, I DO ENOUGH!! The bonus is I am making the great recipe for my family and I found another fabulous blogger to follow!! Thank you!! :)

16. Pingback: Garlicky Beef Stew | Never Enough Thyme — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.